DPF delete by my friend

4wheels

My friend owns 3500 ,170 extended , 07 or 08 , I can not tell , with 200k and he did an interesting ( dpf delete) . After having dealer cleaning that DPF a few times and paying some big money and the problem was returning back after a short time , HE GOT MAD .
He took it off and made a big hole in it with a big metal pipe and put everything back . His CEL light was on long way before for glow plugs and he does not care , he thinks that CEL is a scam .
He claims now his van has 30% more power and he is getting 24mpg on HWY .

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Under normal operation & proper & timely maintenance by qualified and competent technicians, he should not be having dpf or repetitive issues.

(The clue was... the CEL light was on for a very important reason)

Sadly, we've lost another one.

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
Your friend is destined to learn that the CEL is not a scam! Eventually, probably soon, his Sprinter will go into "limp home mode" with reduced power. It is a matter of when, not if!

My friend owns 3500 ,170 extended , 07 or 08 , I can not tell , with 200k and he did an interesting ( dpf delete) . After having dealer cleaning that DPF a few times and paying some big money and the problem was returning back after a short time , HE GOT MAD .
He took it off and made a big hole in it with a big metal pipe and put everything back . His CEL light was on long way before for glow plugs and he does not care , he thinks that CEL is a scam .

... he thinks that CEL is a scam .
The MIL Malfunction Indicator Light aka CEL coming on is not generally a panic situation, but it is not a scam. It is a warning that the computer has noticed that the emissions system(s) aren't working correctly. In some (most?) states you will not pass an emissions test when the MIL aka CEL is lit. Depending upon what has triggered the MIL extended operation can do damage to your systems. The DTC's Diagnostic Trouble Codes should be checked.

I wouldn't let him modify my vheicle the way he did his. How did he measure a 30% power increase? I wish him luck. vic

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
CEL in a gasser is much less an issue that our diesels.

THE CEL WAS ON INDICATING THE GLOWPLUG(S) OR GLOWPLUG SYSTEM HAD FAILED.
THE GLOWPLUG SYSTEM IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE EMISSIONS SYSTEM AND THE DPF FUNCTION/REGENERATION.

He was misinformed or ignorant.

4wheels

THE GLOWPLUG SYSTEM IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE EMISSIONS SYSTEM AND THE DPF FUNCTION/REGENERATION.

I think ,he was misinformed AND ignorant
He is kinda an old school guy and he thinks that it is ok to drive without a glow plug . Yes , the van will start (hot california) , but when I was trying to tell him that THE GLOWPLUG SYSTEM IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE EMISSIONS SYSTEM AND THE DPF FUNCTION/REGENERATION., he was like - do not tell me that .

Anyway , let s wait for a bit . I think , when his Sprinter will go into limp mode , he wont tell me , because I was right

4wheels

Also I know for sure that he was not using low ash oil . I told him that is why your dpf clogged that fast (after 120-150k) . He was like- do not tell me that . I was like - ok I ll shut up:bash:
He used Rotella from walmart in those 5 gal buckets .

icarus

Did you tell him he is a moron?

$3-4 per quart is around $50 extra per change (assuming you buy proper oil at say Napa on sale), 15 changes that is $750 in extra oil charge in 150k miles. What does a DPF service cost? what does a replacement cost? What does a LHM tow and repair cost? I'm guessing more than $750.

Icarus

4wheels

I do not think he was about saving.. Most likely about not knowing and do not want to ask other sprinter -forum people

PLUMMER

Just wait when it goes into a hard lockout limp mode, or even worse some very serious damage occurs to the turbo or other very expensive part. That "scam light" will have saved him thousands and a working van , some learn the hard way. Its too bad especially with all this info here, and very well documented. These vans aren't old school by a long shot, they don't get the best value and economy because of old school equipment. They definitely need new school of thinking and proper "simple" maintenance. I 've had some issues, but I would never want any of my old vans back again. My favorite work van and vehicle I've ever owned by far. Good Luck to your friend, and try to print off a couple threads here to show him the importance of doing things the right way.

4wheels

Well , I spoke to him just yesterday , he said that everything has been working just awesome . He said he likes the way it drives and it does get a better fuel economy and it has more power and so far ( if you all want me to say --- so far--- ) no limp mode after almost 13k dpf free miles .

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Ponder this question,

Has anyone taken a good running Sprinter, no codes or issues and bashed a nice straight hole through the dpf then put everything back together? Aside from less back pressure why would the computer care?

4 wheels is your 08 170 passenger running better now?

4wheels

Ponder this question,

Has anyone taken a good running Sprinter, no codes or issues and bashed a nice straight hole through the dpf then put everything back together? Aside from less back pressure why would the computer care?

4 wheels is your 08 170 passenger running better now?
My 08 170 passenger is in like new condition . I just changed Mobil ESP oil, I do not have any codes , I do have a DPF filter and I like it . My DPF is untouched and will never be. I just returned from 2200 miles trip and my Sprinter ran like new one . I got a good gas mileage and a lot of power to spare .

Last edited:

Dude, are you serious? an "integral part of the emissions system", really? Its a cold start aid and doesn't have anything to do with the DPF or anything part of the engine after its running.

DPF is the one of the dumbest ideas dreamed up yet. This is how I think that started...
"Hey, I know, we'll capture all the particulates in the exhaust to keep them out of the environment"
"Wow thats brilliant, but what do we do with all the crap when this capture device is full?"
"Hmmm, well lets dump raw diesel in the exhaust while the engine is running to burn it out of there"
"Right...but if we're going to just burn it out of there, why did we bother capturing it in the first place?"
"Oh it will only work a few times, then the device will have to be replaced with a new one"
"Hmmm, so let me get this straight, we're going to invent a device that captures particulates in the exhaust, sort of self cleaning by burning it out, no doubt very expensive to replace, and ensures lower fuel economy, lower performance, and higher maintainence costs, its great!"

Yeah, thats brilliant guys.

There is NO argument that DPF deletes yield better power, and better fuel economy. Why isn't improving fuel economy priority 1? If we reduce the amount of fuel we consume, demand goes down, foreign dependancy on oil goes down, prices go down, operating costs go down and less fuel is burned, thus less emissions. DPFs arent for the environment, they are for beaurocrats and big oil. And don't get me started on EGR valves!

"Hey lets reduce emissions by recirculating exhaust back in the intake"

"Wow that will very effectively reduce exhaust volume... but won't the exaust be harmful to the engine? Kind of like cuffing a fart and inhaling it to make is stink less?"

Last edited:
Ponder this question,

I've replaced one in an '07 for "testing" purposes with a piece of straight pipe...though I think the customer isn't planning on ending his "test" drive anytime soon. He says he's getting 22MPG where he was getting 17 driving the exact same route, and it has more power than ever before. Yeah it set a code for DPF performance... but no derate so who cares.

4wheels

I did not want to write anymore about this , but my bud was at my house a week ago , he was installing seats in his van and was measuring in my passenger for the holes , for brackets. So I asked him again and he said the same thing - the light for dpf is on , the truck drives like never before , he gets a BETTER mileage , and there is more power , and at 200k+ miles THERE IS NO SMOKE , and also NO LIMP MODE !

I was thinking that if it WILL go into limp mode , then why even bother it . Now ,if someone will make and sell an empty dpf , I will buy it and try it and when I will be selling my truck , then I ll put that original DPF back .

flman

Not Offended
"BDP" was Re: DPF delete by my friend

I call it a "BDP" "Bio Diesel Preventer", a scheme thought up by big oil, and paid for in the pockets of pawns. Who are your masters, big corporations, you vote for the pawns. :clapping: :lol:

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Orion, Icarus we have a new forum sage:

"Wow that will very effectively reduce exhaust volume... but won't the exhaust be harmful to the engine? Kind of like cuffing a fart and inhaling it to make is stink less?"
Thank you TDG.

In the interest of science and the further development of mankind, "a friend of mine" removed his dpf core, welded it back up and at the tailpipe you would never know and no codes, ran better in every way with only 10% mpg increase. His van was already tuned so the power output was increased only slightly.

Step 2 he blocked egr recirculation with a copper gasket, P0402 low eg flow and P1451 evap control canister vent solenoid circuit codes appeared but it runs really clean and fine.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Re: "BDP" was Re: DPF delete by my friend

I call it a "BDP" "Bio Diesel Preventer", a scheme thought up by big oil, and paid for in the pockets of pawns. Who are your masters, big corporations, you vote for the pawns. :clapping: :lol:
Bob, Our NCV 3 fueling systems would not live well on straight biodiesel either.

Friends results after installing empty can dpf:

-Dpf core was clean, but it seemed to be in almost constant passive regen, had high egr flow and 10-20% mpg decreases from historical with power cuts for high egt's.
-Before tail pipe was rust colored with almost no soot. After pipe is black with almost no soot.
-Power and response are improved.
-With just the tune: 19 mpg average.
-Same tune and dpf core removed: 10+% mpg increases but only with a light foot otherwise mpg is unchanged.
-No codes or cel with tune and empty can.
-Egt's are reduced 70-100 degrees, 150 degree reduction @ idle
-Results will follow for dpf/egr delete written into existing tune only if there is positive interest.

Top Bottom