P2511 and P0404

rlprd

My 2004 140 high top set these two codes last week. I turned them off. There had been no problem til yesterday when the codes returned, when they did retun the van had no power and seems like the turbo is not working. I can turn the codes when I am driving and it seems to help the power briefly, then no power again If I hold the throttle down it will eventually get up to around 65 mph, but thats it. The check engine light comes on every time I start the van now. Any ideas?

rlprd

egr options

Looks like I have an egr problem, is there any cleaning of the egr on a 2004 model? It has the new type of the egr valve. It seems like I read somewhere these egr valves are maintenance free. If you can't clean it can you put the resistors in this model that Colorado Al talks about to to bypass the valve? Thank You, Ron

Last edited:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
They are cleanable - the 2004 thru 2006 are far more reliable than the 2002 and 2003 EGR valves, mostly because they try to clean themselves. That does not mean they won't carbon up.

Remove (people say they are stubborn to remove), spray clean (some people use carb cleaner, I use spray SeaFoam on my 2002's EGR), make sure the valve moves freely, and keep cleaning/draining until it does. Then re-assemble.

EGRs are not cheap, so its likely worth an hour of your time to try this,

rlprd

I took my egr valve off my 2004 very difficult but finally got it off. The three blades were carboned over I cleaned them with carb cleaner, before cleaning them they were stuck somewhat, after cleaning them they seem to be free to turn only enough to open the three ports in them is this the normal amount of opening? Thank You, Ron

I took my egr valve off my 2004 very difficult but finally got it off. The three blades were carboned over I cleaned them with carb cleaner, before cleaning them they were stuck somewhat, after cleaning them they seem to be free to turn only enough to open the three ports in them is this the normal amount of opening? Thank You, Ron
That sounds normal to my 2004 EGR. It is very important that it springs back closed without any hanging up or being sluggish. vic

rlprd

Well after cleaning the egr last night, I have driven my van this morning Same code p2511, the only thing it did take longer for the check engine light to come on. I don't know if that is relevant. I think it was because the engine was still cold, not sure. My question is where do I go from here? Thanks in Advance for any help. Ron

rlprd

Re:DAD

I am going to be in a location today where there is a DAD tool available to use. Will this tool give me more than a P2511 code. I am looking for more proof that my egr valve is bad before I spend $400.00 on a hope that it will cure my situation. Thank You, Ron

mirniislav

2005 Dodge Sprinter(2500)
P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit Range/Performance

it works and then it stops after 5 minutes. i have done:

1. all hoses no cracks
2. I took out the EGR valve and cleaned it, got a new gasket installed.
3. EGR valve leaks a little coolant after installed

the outcome that the turbo started to work and then it just died on me again after i drove for 5 minutes

does anyone might know or had similar issues?

tr4dude

more and likely the egr valve is bad, there is a plastic cog in between the electrical motor and the valve that breaks up and lodges the valve open intermittently and that is usually the reason for the code. i am going to try to make some with Teflon in the near future and try them out in our fleet to see if it is a viable option to repair this expensive part.

seadawg

2004 NAFTA Dodge Sprinter
P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit Range/Performance

it works and then it stops after 5 minutes. i have done:

1. all hoses no cracks
2. I took out the EGR valve and cleaned it, got a new gasket installed.
3. EGR valve leaks a little coolant after installed

the outcome that the turbo started to work and then it just died on me again after i drove for 5 minutes

does anyone might know or had similar issues?
I had a similar problem that I fixed last week. I am not an expert just a shade tree mechanic. My first question would be what year Sprinter? How did you get your code? The code you are showing is typical of a generic code reader. Later today I can get you a sseries of tests to run for 2004-6 vans. Mine turned out to be the EGR valve but I wanted to make sure it wasn't the wiring or something else before I spent the $400on an EGR valve.

I had a similar problem that I fixed last week. I am not an expert just a shade tree mechanic. My first question would be what year Sprinter? How did you get your code? The code you are showing is typical of a generic code reader. Later today I can get you a sseries of tests to run for 2004-6 vans. Mine turned out to be the EGR valve but I wanted to make sure it wasn't the wiring or something else before I spent the $400on an EGR valve.
He indicated that the EGR is leaking coolant so it is likely a 2004 - 2006 OM647 engine. We shouldn't need to be detectives for that info though.

C'mon folks. Add your info permanently to all your posts. It's easy to do. I know that I'm to the point of not answering questions which don't include it. FWIW. vic

Add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >240,000 mi. DAD” [/QUOTE]
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

Last edited:

mirniislav

2005 Dodge Sprinter(2500)
i have the 2005 Dodge Sprinter, i have inspected the hoses today and there is no leaks. what i have found out is that the Turbocharger Electronic Actuator got stuck because it got some rust. I have taken out and cleaned all nice. the code still comes out it worked for 5 minutes and went in idle again.

i think it still may be the EGR valve. i will try to adjust the actuator control pin, because it was moving very slow after i have cleaned . i will let you know.

Last edited:

kensuelo

Wiping a thick layer of dust of this thread. My 2006 is exhibiting this exact same issue. Same codes. Same time until the turbo is throttled.

All my sensors appear to be reporting OK, EGR is spick and span. Starting to wonder if it's a harness short someplace...

Curious if there was any resolution here mirniislav?

Top Bottom