Fuel Tank Coil Rusty Wye Fittings

Re: Rusty Fuel Coil Fittings

I would remove and replace that today .. It's wasted, likely to catastrophic fail: suddenly stranding your suffering ass.
As I thought that I already made fairly clear, my suffering ass will chance it for a few more years. But thanks for the concern and advice. :thumbup:
Added:
Now May, October 2019, April 2020, Sept 2021 (greased May 2012) and those ugly crusty steel fittings are still in service.

... can of spray tar ...
I found some of those products cake up and dry out over time. Does the spray tar that you use stay somewhat fluid to creep, or tend to harden as a coating?

One of things that I really like about plain old wheel bearing grease is that it creeps and migrates around on the parts. That is especially true if you occasionally re-apply the grease like I do. It basically halts the rusting.

Some recommend body cavity wax. My understanding is that the body cavity wax will creep similar to the grease that I use.

I use the WD40 with straw to apply for some inaccessible places, but WD40 doesn't have the staying power of some other choices.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)

The spray I use does not seem to harden, and since all the house vehicles get sprayed with jellied rust proofing muck every fall, the result is an awful sticky black mess that gets on everything, if you even think of getting near the underside of the vehicles.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)

The spray I use does not seem to harden, and since all the house vehicles get sprayed with jellied rust proofing muck every fall, the result is an awful sticky black mess that gets on everything, if you even think of getting near the underside of the vehicles.
...then the Quebec Highway Dept covers the roads with a lovely mix of salt and coarse orange sand, which cakes up in your wheel wells, destroys the clear coat on the nose of your vehicle, and after being crushed by traffic settles into the lower seams of your hood, doors, and trunk lid... the damp sand blocks weeping holes and holds salty water in winter, corroding anything it touches, and summer rain which freezes solid the next winter, jacking open the brittle, corroded seams.
BWAHAHAhahahaaaa...! :wtf:

Sleep tight,

-dave

(the only thing worse than tarring the car every fall was NOT tarring the car every fall!)

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence

Yeah they should really just require snow tires year round, and stop with the salt/mag chloride nonsense.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)

Yeah they should really just require snow tires year round, and stop with the salt/mag chloride nonsense.
Actually Quebec is one of the few jurisdictions in Canada to require “Winter” tires through the winter months (another is British Columbia’s mountain passes: “winter tires or carry chains”) yet they still dump mountains of sand on their highways... I once transited following a convoy of maintenance trucks, and after two hours my square-nosed econo-box had acquired a sleekly sculpted entry reminiscent of a Mazda Miata: the fresh sand had stuck to my grille and headlights and then been scoured into shape by the wind blast.

Here in Alberta is often too cold for NaCl to be of any use, so they spread CaCl blended with pea-gravel. Peas can apparently grow pretty large here... I’ve never seen a place with such successful auto-glass franchises!

-dave

Theodore

I picked up the replacement parts today. The replacement is plasitic, probably nylon. At 7 bucks each I'd just replace them with some generic fuel "Y" fitting. The Dodge label was stuck over the MB label. I read the MB number through the label so now we have both part numbers.

View attachment 43095

1/4" 3 way fitting.
I realize I'm late to the party, but this part starting gushing fuel (Hole.jpg) last week on my T1N and I found this post. Ordered Dodge # 05133920AA. It showed up today, so I pulled the original damaged part (OldRusty.jpg) and was disappointed to discover that it's not going to fit. The replacement is a 1/4" fitting, but the original is 3/8" if not larger (DiameterDifference.jpg). There also very different in shape (ShapeDifference.jpg). The replacement is definitely not flexible enough to accommodate the difference in angle.
I thought you'd like to see this so you don't count on a part that's going to leave you stranded when the original gives up.
The question is: where do we get an actual replacement part? I waited 9 days for this worthless thing.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
What you are looking for is a 45 degree tee fitting. Match the barb size to your hose. Unfortunately I did not have any luck finding one with a few google searches.

If you have some space, run the hose out a few inches from the tank and use a regular tee fitting?

Millionmilesprinter sells used parts, you might see if he has this fitting available?

Theodore

Hey! I've looked as well with no luck. If I can't find out where to get a new replacement by tomorrow, I'll look for used. Unfortunately, there's no room between the fittings and the hard lines they connect to so a regular T fitting would be a challenge but I'll have to do that if I can't source a decent replacement.
Thanks for your response!

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
That plastic tee may bend okay if you can heat it up to around 300F. I would put a piece of thick wire or tube down the middle to keep it from collapsing or kinking when bending it.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Is the metal part a straightforward 'T' (although not actually shaped like a 'T') or does it have any fancy innards? ie could it be a one way valve or possibly a venturi or something equally as obscure?

Keith.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Is the metal part a straightforward 'T' (although not actually shaped like a 'T') or does it have any fancy innards? ie could it be a one way valve or possibly a venturi or something equally as obscure?

Keith.
Its just a tee, straight through. On the OM647, the fuel is directed either straight to the tank, or through the fuel cooler coils. This tee combines the return from the coils, or straight from the thermostatic valve, with the downstream end going to the fuel tanks return pipe.

The unusual shape is likely due to the tight space in which all this plumbing is packed.

So I've been carrying around a part that won't fit?!?!?!?

Damn! :bash:

Sorry for any misinformation about parts, but it's what I was supplied from the Dodge dealership.

One of the reasons that I have yet to replace the 2004 crusty looking fittings was that the access and parts change looked to be a bit of a pain.

One answer to the problem is to use 3 ea. long(er) hoses and route the fuel hose out to a traditional Tee fitting. Alternatively, it looks like either a Wye or Tee fitting should install on 2 legs with no problem. A long hose loop can be used for the leg that doesn't align properly.
Added:
If OEM isn't possible, and the long hose loop method is necessary, 3/8" barb Tee fitting are more common locally than are Wye fittings.
Additional reflection:
It may make sense to install an equal leg Y fitting in a backwards facing orientation. That should allow the loop hose to fit into the space available and maybe use less hose.

JB Weld will seal the hole shown center in the previous post picture, and also the other hole in progress up by the white dot.

Please let us know if the removed part is 5/16"... 3/8" or some other SAE equivalent size.

Anyone want to buy some brand new, unused OEM packaged dealership fuel parts for their T1N Sprinter?

:cheers: vic

If it is 5/16"

https://www.amazon.com/Saim-Brass-Barbed-Piece-Joiner/dp/B01LYZ81BC

3/8"

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a15042500ux0037-Y-Piece-Connector-Coupler/dp/B00YX8WAV2

Jegs carries some parts.
https://www.jegs.com/i/NOS/741/15534/10002/-1

Every Jegs web page contains this note. Be aware.
"Some parts are not legal for use in California or other states with similar laws / regulations"

This picture shows the possible alignment for 2 ea. legs.
RustedFuelCoolingPartsTop.jpg

Last edited:

Theodore

Alternatively, it looks like either a Wye or Tee fitting should install on 2 legs with no problem. A long hose loop can be used for the leg that doesn't align properly.
That's my plan if an oem replacement doesn't exist (is that normal?!) I'll post pics if I have to take that route.

Please let us know if the removed part is 5/16"... 3/8" or some other SAE equivalent size.
The widest part of the nipple measures just under 7/16", so I'm assuming that's designed for a 3/8" ID hose... which means the 12 1/2" hose clamps I just bought aren't going to work. :doh:

That's my plan if an oem replacement doesn't exist (is that normal?!) I'll post pics if I have to take that route.

:idunno:

You wouldn't think so.

I'm going out today to smear more wheel bearing grease on the 2004 and 2006 fittings. :bounce:

(For those wondering, the grease has not adversely affected the hoses.)

Thanks for the follow-up.

Added:
Thought that I noticed something, but it didn't pan out.

Off topic.

Thanks again everyone.

Found the original zip ties here

http://mbepc.net/3/fg/208cdi/62a/901612/0/47/040/

I wonder if part #56 in the diagram is the proper Wye fitting part for the T1N cooler coil fittings that rust out?
Nope.
Parts descriptions. (Didn't notice the scroll down.)

#56 = A 000 835 06 32 CONNECTION - ONLY WITH AUXILIARY HEATER

#58 = A 004 997 01 90 CLAMP - ONLY WITH AUXILIARY HEATER 9.8-12.3 MM KL1
(Too small size. NAS aka NAFTA OM647 [rusted] Fuel Wye would likely need a 13-14.5 MM clamp.)

Fuel Tank Coil Rusty Wye Fittings
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20885

Last edited:

A 5/16" WYE fitting possibility.

Unfortunately the description doesn't match the brass part shown in the pic. [Oops. I guess it does. "for plastic tubing", not a plastic fitting.] I haven't contacted the vendor.

https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product/y-fitting-516-tubing-12pk/

WyeFitting.jpg

Added:

Plastic wouldn't be a problem as long as the angle of the one leg is as pictured. It is important that two legs are basically in line with the tap leg coming off at the approx 45 degree angle. Added: I've noticed that the style of fitting is sometimes referred to as a "branch" fitting. The fitting style is fairly common in vacuum fitting listings, but unfortunately the ones I've found are all smaller diameter sizes.

Last edited:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
B100 may degrade some hoses, gaskets, seals elastomers, glues and plastics with prolonged exposure. Natural or nitrile rubber compounds, polypropylene, polyvinyl, and Tygon materials are particularly vulnerable. More testing is being done to extend this list of vulnerable materials. Most elastomers used after 1993 are compatible with B100 (Viton/Teflon). Before handling or using neat biodiesel (B100) contact the equipment vendor to determine compatibility with fatty acid methyl esters.
Teflon, Viton, and Nylon have very little reaction to biodiesel and are among the materials that can be used to update incompatible equipment. B100 suppliers and equipment vendors should be consulted to ensure the most recent findings on compatibility. For the bulk fuel handlers of biodiesel it is highly recommended to speak with your hose suppliers to source hoses that are compatible with neat biodiesel.
Most tanks designed to store diesel fuel will be adequate for storing B100. Acceptable storage tank materials include aluminum, steel, fluorinated polyethylene, fluorinated polypropylene, Teflon, and most fiberglasses.
Red Metals; Brass, bronze, copper, lead, tin, and zinc may accelerate the oxidation process of biodiesel creating fuel insolubles or gels and salts. Lead solders and zinc linings should be avoided, as should copper pipes, brass regulators, and copper fittings. Affected equipment should be replaced with stainless steel, carbon steel, or aluminum.
B20 Material Compatibility
Biodiesel blends of 20% or less have shown a much smaller effect on these materials. The effects are virtually non-existent in low-level blends such as B2. When handling blends of B20 or less normal monitoring of hoses and gaskets for leaks is sufficient.
Blends of B20 and lower reduce the impact of metal compatibility issues.
Materials Compatibility Studies
The following summaries on material compatibility with biodiesel (methyl Oleate) are taken from research studies and compatibility guides from several o-ring and seal manufacturers.

Thanks for the info.

B100 may degrade some hoses, gaskets, seals elastomers, glues and plastics with prolonged exposure. ...

Those using B100 should be concerned.

This 2005 paper indicates that for B5 and even B20 blends there is little to worry about... in my interpretation/opinion. Of course the study is on a government site so some will quickly discount the value.

2005 was prior to the changes in 2012 to the USA Vehicle Bio Fuel regulations. It was ok prior to those improvements.

View attachment BioFuelMaterials39130.pdf

Impact of Biodiesel on Fuel
System Component Durability
FTC 2005.01 September 2005
https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy06osti/39130.pdf

tinkerric

I just spoke to someone at Northwoods outlet about the above 5/16" y fitting.
Even though it looks to be brass in the picture, it is actually black plastic.

I just spoke to someone at Northwoods outlet about the above 5/16" y fitting.
Even though it looks to be brass in the picture, it is actually black plastic.
Thanks for the follow-up and info.

Plastic wouldn't be a problem as long as the angle of the one leg is as pictured. It is important that two legs are basically in line with the tap leg coming off at the approx 45 degree angle. Added: I've noticed that the style of fitting is sometimes referred to as a "branch" fitting. The fitting style is fairly common in vacuum fitting listings, but unfortunately the ones I've found are all smaller diameter sizes.

The Dodge replacement is plastic, but too small (1/4" size) and a standard leg Wye fitting. :thumbdown:

The 5/16" diameter may be slightly smaller than desired, but a new hose should clamp down and seal over 5/16".

Last edited:

Top Bottom