Andys Pop-top

bikergar

Since joining this Forum I have been in awe of Dr A's knowledge...after seeing this I am just plain intimidated by his ability...WHAT A GREAT LOOKING VAN!!! :thumbup:

gary

Dr A.jpg

Hello all, we are new to the SPRINTER world. Has anyone seen one of the completed Sportsmobil pop tops? They are not cheap... I have not seen one in person. Just wondering about quality for the long haul. Andy's design looks great...problem is we would have to unload our kayaks to pop the roof. Thanks, Merle

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Has anyone seen one of the completed Sportsmobil pop tops? They are not cheap... I have not seen one in person. Just wondering about quality for the long haul. Thanks, Merle
We have a few Sportsmobile owners here but I think they all have the taller Sprinters.... Anyone with a poptop: help Merle out.

artistwantab

Hey guys,

I am new here and researching sprinters. I am defintly getting one but still trying to figure out if I am going the custom route or ready built.

My question is regarding this top...did I read that right $3k for the top?

E

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Hi Artistwantab,welcome to the forum.

Andy may respond to your question but if $3,000 is what he put in his post, that's what it was... but you know he did a lot of work.

Instead of a poptop you could just get a taller Sprinter. Devote your time to being an artist instead of installing poptops.:bounce:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Those of us who have seen Andy's pop-top in person know that it is an artisan who has worked on it.
absolutely, HK, no question about that, though I haven't seen it in person. I guess I was considering the right/left brain stuff. Dr. A is clearly strongly mechanically oriented with a wonderful craftman's eye for beauty. Most who are strongly artisically oriented don't have the mechanical aptitude to do what Andy does.

Yet, I know I was being presumptious in my recommendation.

artistwantab

Hi Artistwantab,welcome to the forum.

Andy may respond to your question but if $3,000 is what he put in his post, that's what it was... but you know he did a lot of work.

Instead of a poptop you could just get a taller Sprinter. Devote your time to being an artist instead of installing poptops.:bounce:
Well believe it or not I am "professional" artist. You can check me out here.

Actually, that is why I want a sprinter because I want to be able to jump in my camper and travel and paint.

My idea is to have a Pop-top camper so I can sleep while still allowing me plenty of space to carry canvas and supplies.

I actually want a high-top and I thought Andy's was a high top.

Anyone doing a pop-top conversion for a sprinter high-top.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Andy's is definitely a shorty. A lot of folks on this forum have installed beds that fold up against the wall. That might be a much simpler installation that would still give you plenty of room to move around?

When you cut a big hole in your roof you are upsetting structural integrity.

artistwantab

Andy's is definitely a shorty. A lot of folks on this forum have installed beds that fold up against the wall. That might be a much simpler installation that would still give you plenty of room to move around?

When you cut a big hole in your roof you are upsetting structural integrity.
Short roof or high you would still be upsetting the structural integrity of the roof. You could reinforce it couldn't you.

I take it no one knows of someone doing this on a high top.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Short roof or high you would still be upsetting the structural integrity of the roof. You could reinforce it couldn't you.

I take it no one knows of someone doing this on a high top.

I did not intend to imply that you couldn't reinforce the roof if you cut a big hole in it, only that the cutting of the hole upsets the structural integrity. The implication is that some people might value structural integrity the way Doktor A does.

I see that Sportsmobile only puts the pop up on their short Sprinters. Look in the RV section of this forum. There is a list of suppliers and a couple of them do custom work.

Nate

I believe that in another post or maybe even in this thread itself that Dr A, says that the pop top can only go on the shorter roof sprinter because it is able to hold 600 LBS and the High roof model can only support 300 Lbs on its roof.

I may be wrong but I do remember reading that somewhere.

Edit: it is mentioned in post #14 of this thread.

Last edited:

artistwantab

I believe that in another post or maybe even in this thread itself that Dr A, says that the pop top can only go on the shorter roof sprinter because it is able to hold 600 LBS and the High roof model can only support 300 Lbs on its roof.

I may be wrong but I do remember reading that somewhere.

Edit: it is mentioned in post #14 of this thread.
Interesting. I wonder if there is a possibility of pulling this off. I would really have to rethink the van without the poptop.

If anyone knows or hears about a pop top on a high top let me know.

bladerunner

I though you may like these photos in this photo section as well. The 10,000 hour pop-top project is still "under construction". Working on wiring and interior. It sleeps 5 and has full dining room and kitchen with sink/running water, built-in microwave, 2 burner stove, 3-way fridge and propane central heating. These early photos do not show the installed monster sized rear side windows. One side has the awning style and the other side the slider style. Rear door windows are screened sliders as well. Doktor A

View attachment 4483

View attachment 4484

View attachment 4485

View attachment 4486

View attachment 4487
Hi...just come across this thread...............great looking popper:thumbup:.............couple of questions please:thinking:...............your pull out awning, is it secured with some sort of gutter clip or does one have to drill and bolt into the body?

Also do you have any pics showing the awning extended?
:cheers:

robbielu

@Worksofman: Hi, we're new to the forum and thinking of doing something similar to what you describe here for transport to art fairs. You posted in 2007 - did you finish this conversion and have you posted pics? Would love to see what you did. Thanks!

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
@Worksofman: Hi, we're new to the forum and thinking of doing something similar to what you describe here for transport to art fairs. You posted in 2007 - did you finish this conversion and have you posted pics? Would love to see what you did. Thanks!
How rapidly time passes. I have had little oppertunity over the last few years to devote to the camper project but am happy to report I set aside significant time this last winter and am very close to completion.

The pop top portion of the project was actually completed years ago and I have been working on interior, wiring and a unique stacked, slide out solar array which allows 2 full size panels to fit in the short roof section behind the pop top.

Doktor A

worksofman

where's my hovercraft?
Hi Robbielu -
Well - I actually rolled that van about a year and a half ago. (Hit black ice, ended up being nothing I could do. Was one of 60 vehicles that went off the road on that section of the highway that night.) So - nothing to show. I now have a 2003 3500, with a shorter wheelbase. I don't love it so much... not so sure what I'm going to do with it/about it. Still love the idea, it's just not the priority it was, as life has changed a good bit.

Good luck!

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I have been working on a unique stacked, slide out solar array which allows 2 full size panels to fit in the short roof section behind the pop top.

Doktor A
Post? Also, could you not put them on the pop top? Then when you pop the top they are already angled, just point them to the sun...

-Randy

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Post? Also, could you not put them on the pop top? Then when you pop the top they are already angled, just point them to the sun...

-Randy
Full sized panels are too heavy for a pop top, even one with spring lift assist at each of the hinged front corner posts.

Doktor A

Top Bottom