Andys Pop-top

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Post? Also, could you not put them on the pop top? Then when you pop the top they are already angled, just point them to the sun...

-Randy
Full sized panels are too heavy for a pop top, even one with spring lift assist at each of the hinged front corner posts.

Doktor A

GPSTrans1

gpstrans1
The tents are available in a variety of materials-this one happens to be Sunbrella. The various materials don't allow water leakage under the heaviest of downpours (but still breathe)-as long as you remember to close the sunroof and screen cover zippers. Doktor A
looks good andy,got the same top on my rinker boat!:rad:

Raegan

Nice car you got there.. been checking our community saw a lot of campers....its perfect

Last edited:

Dingo

Might sound like a daft question , but do they also make a version where the hinge is at the front edge ?.
Hate to think of the damage caused if the top sprung up when driving , seen a car with an aftemarket glass sunroof fitted wrong way round . Glass blown out & roof panel ripped open
Looks nice though

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Might sound like a daft question , but do they also make a version where the hinge is at the front edge ?.
Hate to think of the damage caused if the top sprung up when driving , seen a car with an aftemarket glass sunroof fitted wrong way round . Glass blown out & roof panel ripped open
Looks nice though
Seems smart to have the hinge at the front and place the height at the rear.

I have a neighbor who is a committed Westfalia VW Vanagon buff. He has 2. I'll have to grab a tape measure and see if a salvaged cap could be fitted uncut to a 118" T1N Sprinter like mine.

It occurs to me that instead of cutting the 118" Sprinters roof panel out, leave it uncut and fit a level "sleeping platform" atop it with the Westfalia hinged cap over it. With the entry at the back, a standard van rear door ladder could be fitted to climb in and out. Basically you'd have a rooftop "Murphy bed". Just an idea, not sure how wierd it would be w no direct access to the van interior.

MillionMileSprinter

Formerly Type2Teach
Yes. The model years 1968-1971 have the poptop hinge fitted to the front of the van with the luggage carrier in the back.
However, IIRC, if you had your own poptop taken off of a VW camper, you can install it any way you want, front or rear facing.
Also, In the '68-'71 VW, there is an approx 3.5 x 3.5 ft square opening that you get up to the pop top with. The entire roof of the van is NOT missing. Therefore, if you had a 2 x 2 opening cut in the top of your Sprinter (like a vent/fan combo) you could have yourself an access area. You wouldn't *need* to access the pop top from the outside/back.
Good luck!:thumbup:

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
With the entry at the back, a standard van rear door ladder could be fitted to climb in and out. Basically you'd have a rooftop "Murphy bed".
...and on a rainy night you'd be crawling into your bedroom soaking wet.
(with no place to hang your rain jacket to dry)

--dick (who has frequently driven into a camping spot, spent the night and then driven off in the morning without ever having opened a door...)

glasseye

--dick (who has frequently driven into a camping spot, spent the night and then driven off in the morning without ever having opened a door...)
Not even to pee? :tongue:

I am looking for a RV style window for my 2006 140" for the passenger side sliding door , can you or anyone who knows let me know where I can buy one of these, thanks in advance.

Attachments

Talbott594

Talbott594
Look on Amazon.com. They have several companies selling windows. I am waiting for mine to come in.

jackbombay

Full sized panels are too heavy for a pop top, even one with spring lift assist at each of the hinged front corner posts.

Doktor A
With a gas strut mounted to the roof you won't notice solar panels on the roof, I just so happen to make and sell a kit for vanagons to mount gas struts to the pop top, I sell 3 different strength struts depending on how much weight you have on the roof, here is a link to my sale page, http://poptopshocks.blogspot.com/

Let me know if you have any questions :)

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
How about his unique grill? Mercedes/Freightliner/Mercedes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want that grill.

´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><((((((º>
`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><((((((º>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nhmcgowan

Gorgeous, just what I had in mind. Any leads on where to get the parts?

Well done Dr A, very impressive! :thumbup:

*FWIW if you haven't already done the solar conversion you mentioned... quite a few companies sell a super lightweight and flexible panel (often used on boats etc) which would add very minimal weight to popup.

https://www.bruceschwab.com/solar-power/solbian-flex-high/

syedbarey

I though you may like these photos in this photo section as well. The 10,000 hour pop-top project is still "under construction". Working on wiring and interior. It sleeps 5 and has full dining room and kitchen with sink/running water, built-in microwave, 2 burner stove, 3-way fridge and propane central heating. These early photos do not show the installed monster sized rear side windows. One side has the awning style and the other side the slider style. Rear door windows are screened sliders as well. Doktor A

View attachment 4483

View attachment 4484

View attachment 4485

View attachment 4486

View attachment 4487
Doc, what is your contact info? Could you put a top on a 2015 Sienna? My number is 2816506197

sikwan

06 T1N Can
This thread was started in 2007. I doubt Andy does Sprinter tops (could be wrong) much less popups for Sienna's. You probably have better luck searching the internet.

Top Bottom