Lavatory Sink Drain Hose?

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
I'm curious to know what type of lavatory drain hose GWV has installed in their later models of the Legend. Mine has a plastic 'corrugated' bilge pump hose (see pic), which I have had to replace twice because it cracked due to the repeated flexing caused by moving the lavatory basin in & out.

It's cheap & easy to replace, but I'm wondering if there is a longer life alternative that stands up to the flexing. Pics of your setup appreciated.

Attachments

Davydd

Mine is like that only black plastic not white. I'm not sure how else it could be handled other than a flex hose. Now you got me worried. Where did you pick up a replacement?

bcislander

Mine is like that only black plastic not white. I'm not sure how else it could be handled other than a flex hose. Now you got me worried. Where did you pick up a replacement?
I got the replacement at an Industrial Plastics place that also carries Marine 'stuff'. I expect any Boating/Marine store would have the hose, or be able to tell you where to get it. I tried a local RV place first & they told me where to go :smilewink:

It comes in a bulk roll & you can get whatever length you want. The first time black hose was available, this time white. When I first replaced the hose, shortly after buying the RV, I only got a 1 ft. length because that was the length of the leaking hose. This last time I got a 2 ft. length, which should lessen the amount of flexing & increase the life of the hose. Cost: ~$1.50

How long is the hose in your new van?

Davydd

I'll have to check the length. I did search online last night. The bilge hose is pretty common at marine stores of which we have lots of here around Lake Minnetonka where I live and nationally like Bass Pro Shops. The hoses are all polyethylene but no where do you find specs to determine if one is better than another in terms of plastic thickness, etc. I'm thinking now of carrying a spare when driving to Alaska. It is not a dire situation as you still have the kitchen counter sink to use.

bcislander

I'll have to check the length. I did search online last night. The bilge hose is pretty common at marine stores of which we have lots of here around Lake Minnetonka where I live and nationally like Bass Pro Shops. The hoses are all polyethylene but no where do you find specs to determine if one is better than another in terms of plastic thickness, etc. I'm thinking now of carrying a spare when driving to Alaska. It is not a dire situation as you still have the kitchen counter sink to use.
I think I'll buy a 'spare' hose too, even though I'm not planning a trip to Alaska. :smilewink:

bill keitel

I too had that drain hose leak about two months ago while enroute. I fixed it permanently with a very cool product called "Rescue Tape" , It is a silicone tape that (when stretched) chemically bonds to itself it about one minute. I could have replace the $1.50 hose, but instead wrapped the drain hose with this material and it was water tight within two minutes. Patently the coolest product I've come across in years.

Davydd

I fixed my lavatory drain like thus...

The details of what I did can be found here in this thread...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14850&page=11

After I fixed my lavatory drain receptor I went back to my original hose that cracked at the corrugations and used the "Rescue Tape" bill keitel mentioned. It worked. I had gone through a few bilge pump hoses and what I found was not all corrugation lengths were the same but the smooth part that slid over the male connections were always about the same length. So when I tried a hose I bought at West Marine I could not cut it long enough with just the one corrugation length. This photo shows my original black hose which was just long enough to the longest one corrugation West Marine white hose I could make and it was not quite long enough.

As for later models, I took a picture of a GWVan Legend that was bought last year by a couple in Wisconsin. As you can see the drain receptor is quite a bit different and I believe the hose is a 1-1/4" diameter hose.

Davydd

:thinking: I wonder what the screw clamp is doing?
I have no idea. I asked if I could take a picture and did so quickly without checking it out in detail. This model came from the new owners of Great West Vans so it appears they may have been casting about for improvements, but it looks as if the ultimate solution was to abandon the slide out lavatory for a fixed sink in the corner.

Top Bottom