best sprinter service in seattle? may need a trannie rebuild

jerms

hey all i'm a n00b here but would greatly appreciate a heads up on a good mechanic in seattle for my 2003 2500 sprinter..... i'm having problems with my transmission, it feels like the engine is going to die as i come to a stop, seems like the transmission won't downshift and it's staying in a higher gear than it should. if i shift to neutral then it downshifts and glides smoothly to a stop. i thought it was the RSN i read about in another thread but now i'm not so sure. it's also got a vibration around 40-50 mph too.... plus what's up with the lock on the tube for the trannie dipstick????? WTF!!!!! any help would be greatly appreciated!

sailquik

jerms,
Have you tried downshifting the transmission manually?
If you tap the shfit lever to the left (toward your right leg in the drivers seat)
the transmission will downshift one gear.
It will not downshift too far (there is almost no possibility that you will
overrev your engine.)
It should downshift 4/3/2/1 and you will see the gear you are in on the
display.
If you want to check the transmission fluid level, you need to pop the
lock on the dipstick tube cap and you need to buy a dipstick!
If the lock on the dipstick tube has never been removed, you may
be low on fluid.
Check the electrical connector in the lower RH front of the trans
housing to see if you have the very common O'ring leak.
The part is not expensive, and you get the needed new O'rings.
Do a search on transmission electrical connector replacement.
That would most likely be the source of your leak if your trans
fluid is low.
Probably need to consider having a trans/torque convertor service
which include draining the trans pan, removing the trans pan cleaning
the trans pan, replacing the trans fluid filter, replacing the trans pan
gasket, draining and refilling the torque convertor.
There are a number of our members in your area, so they can direct
you better about which local shops are the best.
Upscale Automotive in Tulatin is usually suggested.
Roger

Last edited:

Peanut Butter

I have a friend whose Sprinter transmission started slipping and within a day couldn't move. One dealer told her she needed a new transmission. She had her son tow it to a dealer near her house and he suggested trying a filter and fluid change before spending the money for a new tranny. That was 200,000 miles ago and she never had a problem again. She does have a transmission service done more often since the incidence.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
I have a friend whose Sprinter transmission started slipping and within a day couldn't move. One dealer told her she needed a new transmission. She had her son tow it to a dealer near her house and he suggested trying a filter and fluid change before spending the money for a new tranny. That was 200,000 miles ago and she never had a problem again. She does have a transmission service done more often since the incidence.
You took the words right out of my mouth. A complete change of fluid by draining the pan and torque converter, new filter and new transmission seal/connector assembly is what I'd do before giving up. Once the pan is drained it can be inspected for any possiblle debris. My transmission was making noises which I feared were related to drive train components. After the fluid change all was well.

Rumble Strip Noise Transmission Drive Train Shudder
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5027&highlight=drive+train

The entire job will cost about 100 bucks DIY if you buy the fluid from Ryder. Sikwan has a great Write-up for fluid change. Unfortunately it has gotten very long. I'll start you at post #80 where some of my comments are (because that's what I do). You can then click to the first post and start from the beginning.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=37552#post37552

There is all the info you ever need there in his thread. Just be careful when changing out the connector. The connector needs to be properly seated before attempting to thread in and snug up the retaining bolt. Good luck. vic

jerms

hey guys, thanks for all your replies!!!i guess i should have mentioned that i had the transmission serviced about 20,000 miles ago.... when i bought the van it had a terrible shudder as you came to a stop.... i took it to Elite Autocare here in seattle and they found a switch/valve? inside the transmission which was accessible thru the trannie pan that they said was at fault..... $1200 later, it ran really well, except for the vibration between 40-50 mph, which never went away, until recently when the coming to a stop vibration seemes worse than before.... Elite said the codes told them that it was having trouble switching gears at the time..... presently, i don't feel like i'm capable of changing out the fluids myself (i partially read the thread your talking about, but it kinda scared me!) and was trying to see if anyone here knew of a place here in seattle that might be more experienced with sprinters, like someone who has serviced a sprinter fleet..... Elite seem to mainly fix highend german cars and wasn't sure of their expertise on these vans.... i'll probably just take it back and have the fluids changed again and see what she drives like..... again, thanks guys!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Bottom line: Call MB of Lynnwood and ask for a transmission service. They'll scan it, they'll probably be able to tell you what's wrong with it.

Mercedes-Benz of Lynnwood
17800 Highway 99 Lynnwood, WA 98037
Service: 425-673-0505

That said, I live in Greenlake.

Essential Bakery has a fleet of T1N (2002-2006) Sprinters.

They're all leased; they're all serviced at MB of Lynnwood, as far as I recall.

I haven't heard of any "Sprinter-specializing" smaller, independent shops in the area.

Over email, I have heard less than stellar experiences from members about Elite Autocare and their ability to repair a Sprinter.

That said, I believe Elite Auto has the resources in house to execute a quality repair; not sure where the disconnect is between the potential to execute a high-quality repair and the reported customer experiences (over email, privately to me).

-Jon

jerms

sweet jon! thanks for the great advice!! my sprinter is a dodge will they still work on it??

Clark2

I don't think that I would have it rebuilt but instead get a factory remanufacured one. Read THIS post to read about my experience. My dealer told me it was the EXACT transmission they would have ordered, but would have charged me $2000 more.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
my sprinter is a dodge will they still work on it
Yes... it's not a warranty repair, so the emblem on the nose has no impact.
(to this particular dealer)

--dick

D

detore344

Got this letter in the mail the other day so i think is worth giving them a call.
As the Service Manager of this shop, I want to thank you for posting our ad. I personally don't post our ads on here because I don't want to seem unethical. But I will say, that if anyone has any questions about our service, please don't hesitate to contact us. If I can't find the answer, I will find someone who can.

Bruce

steve08

Any suggestions on the best Dodge dealer service department in the Seattle area? I have Dodge extended warranty and can't take it to a MB dealer. Which Dodge dealer does the best with Sprinter?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I'm not 100% sure about this, but i think the only Warranty Dodge(ish) dealer is Town and Country Chrysler at (roughly) 140th on Aurora Ave N in Seattle. They took over warranty coverage when dealers like Jack Carroll were shut down by Dodge.

--dick

D

detore344

Any suggestions on the best Dodge dealer service department in the Seattle area? I have Dodge extended warranty and can't take it to a MB dealer. Which Dodge dealer does the best with Sprinter?
Town and Country on Aurora does have Sprinter techs and can perform warranty work on them. That's where I take 'em when we find a recall or warranty service one of our customers vehicles. Dodge of Bellevue should also be able to do it.

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
What you need to be careful of is putting the wrong fluid in the tranny.

I bought a used 05 and told the guy I was leaving the next day on a 1500 mile trip to Texas. He said he didnt think it would make it as he thought the transmission needed servicing. When I asked hime where he got it serviced he said Jiffy lube had done the transmssion service. Those idiots should never service a Sprinter because THEY DONT HAVE THE RIGHT FLUID. If they tell you it doesnt matter, ask for your keys and leave.

There are only a few fluids you can use. Even the German car place where you had it serviced may have not put the right fluid in it.

Mine acted like it was going to fall out at any minute until I found the right fluid and changed it. Now I do it myself or I have found a shop that will give me a discount for bringing my own fluid.

Only someone who knows Sprinters has the right fluid.

HJVAN

Need warranty work on Dodge Sprinter in Seattle area, and therefore it must be a Dodge Dealer. Taken it to Town and Country Chrysler in North Seattle and not entirely happy. Any suggestions.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Need warranty work on Dodge Sprinter in Seattle area, and therefore it must be a Dodge Dealer. Taken it to Town and Country Chrysler in North Seattle and not entirely happy. Any suggestions.
I don't think many - maybe ANY - of us Seattle NCV3 owning members have much warranty work experience in Seattle besides at T&C Chrysler on Aurora.

You could try the Bellevue Dodge dealer. I think they still work on Sprinters, but I'm not sure.

-Jon

PS: you posted about owning a 2007 2500 170" WB a while ago. I assume you're talking about that Sprinter and not an older model. It would help if you described your van in your signature or somewhere on your profile.

Top Bottom