Manual Tranmission - Problem Selecting 1st and 2nd

Auspoweng

Aussie Power Engineer
On my 413 cdi manual, I seem to have a problem selecting 1st and 2nd gear positions.

What I end up having to do is pull up the release for reverse and then get a few more millimeters of left travel on the gearstick to access the 1st and 2nd gates.

I have seen a few posts on this already and it looks like missing clips can be an issues.

Could anyone add some more detail about the adjustment mechanism please?

Eric Experience - you seem to have past experience on fixing this. Can you elaborate further for me?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Auspoweng

Aussie Power Engineer

Attachments

Auspoweng

Aussie Power Engineer
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked that that threat and it appears this is systematic of tight gear shift action.

I'll have a good look at each end of the cables throguh and see looks out of place.

The idea of grinding a hole in the boot sounds sub-optimal. Is the idea to use a dremil?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked that that threat and it appears this is systematic of tight gear shift action.

I'll have a good look at each end of the cables throguh and see looks out of place.

The idea of grinding a hole in the boot sounds sub-optimal. Is the idea to use a dremil?
To minimise the imapct of an angle grinder suggest, using a Dremel Metal 1 1/2' EZ lock,attached to a Dremel 225 drill cable gives you free movement and fully controlled access in restricted places of operation.
Richard

Auspoweng

Aussie Power Engineer
Richard,

Thanks for the specification....I see you have gone German again on me...the Tasgurttt Tiger reveals his hidden stripes once more !

You would know, of course, that Dremil is now a Bosch brand, who of course are the second most famous export of our beloved Stuttgart.

As much I don't want to take such drastic action on my Spinter, if surgery is required ... let it be Stuttgart scalpel aka Bosch-Dremil.

Regards,

AusPowEng

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Richard,

Thanks for the specification....I see you have gone German again on me...the Tasgurttt Tiger reveals his hidden stripes once more !

You would know, of course, that Dremil is now a Bosch brand, who of course are the second most famous export of our beloved Stuttgart.

As much I don't want to take such drastic action on my Spinter, if surgery is required ... let it be Stuttgart scalpel aka Bosch-Dremil.
And it's made in Mexico.:idunno:

Regards,

AusPowEng
Do me a favour if you can as I've not had the need to do surgery on my Vanhella:lol:
Show me a picture if possible:bounce: as to where you need to cut? as the Dermal may not be powerful enough..Solution adapt an EZ Lock onto a Festool EC-TEC C15 with the side drill adapter Dermal has one as well.AS a high speed 1/4' cutter may be neater.part number 199 by Dremel
Then again you could just rebuild the cable, or if crazy enough buy new,That's a scarey one as to cost .
Richard

Eric Experience

Auspowereng.
First we need to know if the problem is the cables or the selector rod.
To find out disconnect the cables from the box and try to move the selector rod by hand. Before you diconnect the cables clean up the lower ends so you can see the way the split nut is captive in the plastic fitting, when you have figured it out measure the amount of thread exposed so you can put it back in the correct spot. Now open the plastic fitting and pull the cable out. now get hold of the selector shaft and go through the gears. If you can not budge the shaft you will have to go for the Dremill. The dust shield is hardened steel so you can not use a drill, you have to grind it. Clean it out with WD40 and cover the hole you just made.
The rod should be free now.
If the rod was free then the problem may be the clip shown as 85. In the 10 years I have been repairing sprinters I have never seen a 'streched' cable. Eric

Auspoweng

Aussie Power Engineer
Eric W and Altered S.,

Thanks for your advice guys.. I fixed it today.

Apologies Alterter S but after disconnection of the gear cable ball joint ends, it was clear my cables were clean and smooth. No need for surgey via the Stuttgart Scalpel (aka made-in Mexico Bosch-Dremil) so no feedback or tips from me.

What I did find was that the top ball joint that connects to the gear shifter mechanism has a split..it is a matter of time until a new cable kit will be need for me given the top ball joints are not separately replaceable.

Eric E - I did the trick with adjustment of bottom ball joint ends via the nut. Really clever and simple adjustment...kudos to Merc...

Selected reverse and adjusted 'nut'. No cigar.

Selected 1st and adjusted again, then Bingo! 1st and 2nd gate nicely without lifting reverse slide as before.

Having seen the size of the 'cable' I can see why stretching is unlikely. The plastic ball joints would break before that 'cable' stretches!

Thanks again guys.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Eric W and Altered S.,

Thanks for your advice guys.. I fixed it today.

Apologies Alterter S but after disconnection of the gear cable ball joint ends, it was clear my cables were clean and smooth. No need for surgey via the Stuttgart Scalpel (aka made-in Mexico Bosch-Dremil) so no feedback or tips from me.

What I did find was that the top ball joint that connects to the gear shifter mechanism has a split..it is a matter of time until a new cable kit will be need for me given the top ball joints are not separately replaceable.

Eric E - I did the trick with adjustment of bottom ball joint ends via the nut. Really clever and simple adjustment...kudos to Merc...

Selected reverse and adjusted 'nut'. No cigar.

Selected 1st and adjusted again, then Bingo! 1st and 2nd gate nicely without lifting reverse slide as before.

Having seen the size of the 'cable' I can see why stretching is unlikely. The plastic ball joints would break before that 'cable' stretches!

Thanks again guys.
Good news:thumbup: Hint try cable mate. they can make anything.
Richard

Arnie_Oli

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but what's the nut adjustment that you guys mention? I'm having difficulty selecting 1st gear on our 5 speed manual without putting her in 2nd gear first.

Cables move freely, but I suspect that one of the internal shifter parts has worn.

VmaxSonic

2004 Sprinter 313cdi
Gear selector stick all wobbly. Stuck in 4th gear. Can’t engage other gears.
result.... removed plastic dash around selector stick. Removed two 13mm bolts and lifted selector stick mechanism out of bracket. Found the black ended (for up & down shifting) transmission cable broken behind retaining clip.
5 minutes to gain access.

Last edited:

Top Bottom