Line-X On the Roof (or Jon's Sprinter Gets A Toupée)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
i know a guy that had his whole bronco coated with line-x two tone black on bottom white on top. he did it because he takes it off road in the woods for hunting.

if you think thats ugly....you aint seen nothing, i live near toledo, ohio. and theres a 1978 trans am covered in green indoor outdoor carpet. that fake grass turf crap. the whole body is covered with it from the roof to the rocker panel, and from the front bumper to the rear bumper. theres also a 80's ford van painted like a cow, white with black spots, and has a huge rope tail on the back. i swear the things some people will drive!

i bet jon's sprinter is quiet in the rain or in a hail storm.
I put the Line-X on so soon after taking it home, I couldn't comment on the sound-dampening qualities of Line-X.

I can say that I scrapped off some saw dust from a low hanging branch and the only evidence was some woody skid mark on the Line-X that washed off easily. There was no visible trauma staring at the cargo bay roof from the inside.

-Jon

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
What's photoshoped between the wall and the rear taillight?
My employer's name is blocked out.

Upon accepting employment, I signed an agreement that contained a lot of legal restrictions surrounding the corporate logo, and how I am to portray (or rather not to portray) the corporate image - in picture or in writing - on the web or other published medium.... I decided to err on the side of caution and block it out.

larryccf1

actually a nice idea and job - congrats for thinking outside the box

was thinking of doing something along those lines for different reason - a 1/2" thick sheet of styrofoam fiberglass'd on both sides, set up a couple of inches above the roof, just to shade it from the sun to help keep it cooler - florida and the gulf are main targets for my traveling and camping, but that item will wait till everything else is done and if i still have the energy

again, congrats

sfenn99

Read somewhere that the accessories (rail size) are "Standardized" for commerical apps, but not common...

I will be sourcing brackets/feet/cross bars for them to use for mounting my solar panels.

I'll post the supplier(s) info....
OrioN
Just saw your post of 10-19-2007 concerning roof rails and sourcing brackets and solar panels.
Did you post about the brackets? And am interested in the solar panel install.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Here in MD I get black algea and dirty on my roof - since I don't get up often that far to clean it.

I get the impression that X-liner is a bit rough. Since you are in the northwest and all of its rain, humidity, algae, fungus and the like, keep us informed as to the build-up of dirt, growths and the like on the roof. I am wondering if your van will look like a Chia Pet in a year or so.
It's not quite been a year, but a number of extremely wet months have passed and the van doesn't look like a Chia Pet.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably remove the roof rails, have the Line-X dealer do whatever is necessary to preserve the holes used to fasten the rails to the roof, and have them coat in the rail channels with Line-X too. The roof-top channels+roof rails collect tree debris.

I suspect, but I do not know for a fact that letting rotting vegetation remain up there would introduce enough acid to eventually eat through the paint. If I were to do it over again, I might even take it down the side about 18 inches or so. I've scuffed the van on trees that line the roadways of some of Seattle's side streets. Trees which hang over cars are often short enough to be brushed out of the way by my Sprinter and its paint.

There's a fair number of avian fecal splats up there and I don't get on a ladder more than twice a month and that's not enough to keep up with the birds. Overall I'm still very much happy that have Line-X up there.
-Jon

BRANCALEONE

Hi John!
I'm about ready to have my sprinter's front roof and hood sprayed with line-X.
I made the decision after a smart a..:censored: passed me and kicked up a handful of rocks which badly chipped my front section including damaging the windshield.:yell:
After a small pursuit I caught him and made him stop and face the cosequences....Now he is paying...no excuses .:bash:
But back to the question!:smirk:
How much should I expect to spend? (The smart a.. is paying).
Please let me know.
Mauro

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Hi John!
I'm about ready to have my sprinter's front roof and hood sprayed with line-X.
I made the decision after a smart a..:censored: passed me and kicked up a handful of rocks which badly chipped my front section including damaging the windshield.:yell:
After a small pursuit I caught him and made him stop and face the cosequences....Now he is paying...no excuses .:bash:
But back to the question!:smirk:
How much should I expect to spend? (The smart a.. is paying).
Please let me know.
Mauro
Hi Mauro,

I'm sorry to read that you were pelted with rocks, but I'm glad you're safe.

I think I paid around $300.00 at the Line-X dealership in Lynnwood, WA. I probably documented cost and time in the write up.

Line-X doesn't own the individual dealerships. They are independent businesses with a license to sell and install the product. Each dealership is able to set its own prices, so costs will vary according to location, cost of business, the competition (RhinoLiner etc).... basically whatever the operation feels the market will tolerate.

Keep us informed and good luck!

-Jon

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I really like this idea Jon. I can see me doing it on my next one.

Most big vans are kept outside, and the seams can get pretty grotty - not so nice for the second or third owner...

danski0224

It'll get at least as much direct sunshine as a moss-free section of any Seattle home.

My house's roof doesn't tend to grow anything where the sunlight hits it, without my intervention, and nowhere in the places I do intervene.

What do I do? I sprinkle laundry detergent on my asphalt shingles twice a year and that keeps the organisms suppressed.

-Jon
Slide some copper strips under the shingles near the peak, and your organic roof problems will go away. Leave some copper exposed, maybe an inch.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I have used both zinc and copper strips. I'm too clumsy to gracefully slip strips in and out from under the ridgecaps.

The detergent's working well for me and I'm unlikely change a working system at this stage of my life.

-Jon

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Re: Line-X On the Roof (or Jon's Sprinter Gets A Toup?e)

I had some angles lasered out of 12 ga. SS. The horizontal leg is 1" and the vertical leg is 2 3/8". They are 1 3/8" wide. I use two at each end of the cross bar. The crossbar is 80/20 1 1/2" square aluminum extrusion. It has slots on all 4 sides for 5/16-18NC carriage bolts. For 80/20 info go to www.8020.net. The angles have two 11/32" holes. One to bolt down to channel and one to bolt onto the 80/20. For nuts in the channel I lasered 5/8" X 7/8" 12 ga. SS rectangular plates. They have two diagonally opposite corners radiused so you can insert plate anywhere on the channel and rotate plate 90 degrees before tightening the bolt. (like Unistrut electrical channel nuts)

I think the Sprinter channels were standard thru 08 but then became an option.

I will have some more designs for Sprinter stuff as soon as I sell business next month and semi-retire.

encinitas

Slide sideways thru life
actually a nice idea and job - congrats for thinking outside the box

was thinking of doing something along those lines for different reason - a 1/2" thick sheet of styrofoam fiberglass'd on both sides, set up a couple of inches above the roof, just to shade it from the sun to help keep it cooler - florida and the gulf are main targets for my traveling and camping, but that item will wait till everything else is done and if i still have the energy

again, congrats
Larry - you're basically saying that you'd build a square surfboard as a shade structure, right? If it's semi-permanently mounted it'll delaminate in a matter of weeks, crack, and start to take on water. Mold may take hold fairly quickly after that. Consider an epoxy core and shell, with UV resistant epoxy resin, with a foil layer on top to reflect radiated solar energy, which is what breaks down that type of construction very quickly. I would think that a sheet of aluminum would perform better; I shudder to think of the cost for 1/8" sheet in the dimensions we're talking about.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I'm closing down this thread.

It's getting bloated. I can address any future Q/A either by private message or an NCV3 talk thread.

Thanks everyone.

-Jon

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Here in MD I get black algea and dirty on my roof - since I don't get up often that far to clean it.

I get the impression that X-liner is a bit rough. Since you are in the northwest and all of its rain, humidity, algae, fungus and the like, keep us informed as to the build-up of dirt, growths and the like on the roof. I am wondering if your van will look like a Chia Pet in a year or so.
Update: Nearly two years later there is no growth of biological material. A casual perusal of the roof area reveals no sediment build up of pollution, dirt etc.

-Jon

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The previous posting contains a mistake. It's actually been pretty close to 3 years.

In response to this thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12980

I've attached a PDF with high-res photos and commentary.

If you wanna skip to the bottom line: There's no perceivable wear of the coating. It remains durable, pliable and intact.

-Jon

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom