I love Motorcycles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glasseye

Back to the '71 road trip. Heading out of LA on the I15, I opened up the throttle going up Cajon Pass just before Victorville. The engine started to whine three quarters up the pass. Reduced speed and later stopped in Barstow for a rest. Found out I lost first gear. Stopped at the Honda shop where the owner told me they couldn't work on the bike for 4 weeks as their local costumers come first. Thought I was screwed. Four weeks in Barstow? We set up camp (in town) right on Route 66 on what appeared to be an old homestead plot. There was an old mattress which fit perfectly inside our tent! Later that evening a guy came to our camp who had overheard my conversation at the Honda shop. He checked with the Yamaha shop and they would take care of me right away. In order to save money, I removed all connections to the engine at camp. All that was left was the frame, wheels and engine, which I then walked to the Yamaha shop. A week later we were back on the road.

Next rest stop was Ludlow. A lady there asked us if we were planning on settling down there. By then we had enough of the desert.

That was the last of mechanical problems with the bike. I did wear out 2 chains. A chain broke heading into Dallas Tx. It got wrapped around the sprocket and got bent up. I was using a rock as a hammer to straighten the chain. Some old guy saw this and he took me to a bike shop. They didn't have my chain, but got a master link to get the old chain back on. The old guy then bought me a bag of groceries and drove me back to the bike.

There are some very friendly helpful people out there.

View attachment 143225View attachment 143226View attachment 143227
Fantastic! Post more updates!

calbiker

The cafe is an upgrade since I've been there.

A couple more pics.

Camp on the Mississippi in Wisconsin.
Camp on lake close to Jackson Hole
Lake Luise, Canada. One of the highlights of the trip, listening to a guy playing the bagpipes there.
Crossing the border into Canada was a hassle. They had me unpack everything, thinking I'm carrying drugs. Took the Canadian 1 to Vancouver. There was a "tent city" near the Vancouver harbor where I stayed.

71MCT030.jpg71MCT037.jpg71MCT045.jpg

D

Deleted member 50714

Large parcels of real estate are cheap around Ludow and thought about living there because it's out in the middle of nowhere.

I have to admit, I had a CB 350 with a shorter sissy bar and padded back rest.

Anyway, enjoy reading about your extraordinary excursion, you are certainly a hardy and resourceful individual.

Garandman

Getting ready for three days at New York Safety Track, Jeffersonville, NY. Still futzing with exactlly where and how to stow bikes. The front is in a Condor chock but it’s not attached to van. Thinking about running a strip of L track down the middle.

92D31D21-47DF-4A61-B578-8E0321FCAF61.jpeg

glasseye

Juan Browne of the YouTube channel "blancoliro" has posted some spectacular footage of a few rides in Colorado. Imogene and Engineer passes.

He's riding the Trans America Trail from Oregon to Kansas. His site has the whole ride to date.

Also a great channel if you like aircraft. He's an airline pilot.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
2020 Lucas Oil Outdoor Motocross Schedule
image.jpeg
All events on the 2020 schedule will adhere to social distancing guidelines and health management protocols. Each round will be conducted in accordance with local and state ordinances, as identified between the event organizer and local officials. The paddock will be closed to the general public, with access limited to properly credentialed parties only and facemasks required at all times. Hand-washing stations and hand sanitizer stands will be placed throughout the venues and personal hygiene education signage will be prominent.

Last edited:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I was wondering the other day how these kind of shows are dealing with the lock down.
Audience? Issues? It is damn near killing baseball.

manwithgun

Unknown member
I was wondering the other day how these kind of shows are dealing with the lock down.
Audience? Issues? It is damn near killing baseball.
Well, they finished off the final 7 rounds of the Supercross season by renting out the stadium in Utah and running 2 races per week, Wednesday and Sunday, with no public attendance. Teams practically lived at and around the stadium for the month under regulation and testing with the riders being the only ones exempt from wearing a mask full time. Kind of forming their own community bubble.

With the outdoor season being more spacious, they are starting the season by allowing 5,000 to attend the first event. Washugal WA has cancelled so Round 2 will repeat at Loretta’s. Venues like Red Bud have have had at least 60,000 in the past during rainy muddy conditions.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Thanks for the info. I wonder what percentage of income the promoters get from the audience attendance of an event?
Without an audience, why rent a stadium. I'm sure that they had them booked long in advance. Going forward, I don't know.
I work in a college town. Things are just starting to crash. Students not showing up for class. Only Athletes and ROTC are at campus. But athletes not in winter sports are told, "Do not come to campus."
So rentals down. Less activities in local eateries and stores.

I wonder if an event with only 5000 attendance is worth the event happening? There has to be break even points.

I'm an old promoter. You don't get as much out of sponsors if there aren't the eyeballs. Contracts run out and eventually need re-negotiation.

manwithgun

Unknown member
I figure that most of the teams and riders had penned sponsor contracts ahead of the pandemic, with a lot of the money already invested. There’s surely some loss due to attendance, especially stadium held supercross (metro areas), but it is also broadcast on NBC and around the world so there is also commercial revenue. Much of the driving force may be the organization’s hope to capture a new audience that may stumble across it in the absence of their regularly followed sport.

EDIT: Regarding “why rent a stadium”, because there was a championship to be decided that had a 1 point differential when the lockdown took effect after Daytona. In the name of sport, there were great battles leading up to the final round where 3 champions were crowned. There was a question as to whether the victors would have an asterisk next to their title but I believe that the revised format allowed the series to be rightfully decided. Also, the stadium format has a particular feel, space constraints, and camera angles, plus amenities, so it remained familiar to both participants and broadcast spectators.

Last edited:

manwithgun

Unknown member
Adventure bike
And further proof that when it comes to motorcycles, it is always more the Indian than the arrow... While I am led to believe that by owning that bike I will have unrestricted access to nether regions of the earth, I know better. An incredible display of risk, confidence, and talent.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Quote:
BARCELONA, SPAIN (July 31, 2020) -
After the success of the Dominicana video last winter, The Who crew are more than excited to present The Seeker, a new short movie about motorcycles, dreamy locations and impossible tricks by the giant Pol Tarrés.

The Seeker in another short film directed by the Echevarria Brothers (THE WHO) and presented by Kriega, the very best possible luggage options for motorcyclists ( www.kreiga.com) and RDX, motorcycle goggles designed in Australia. The Seeker is the fourth episode of the Beyond the Wheels motorcycle series and supported by many other brands that believe in the project since the very beginning.

It’s no secret that Pol Tarrés and The Who are such a great team and they love the big challenges. Creativity flows when they are together. Thinking “out the box” is a standard that moves the crew since they meet each other. I remember this words from Pol before having the bike in his hands: “ Javi, trust me, people have no idea what I’m capable of on the Teneré 700. It will be mind blowing for them”.

Thanks to Yamaha, with the introduction of those lighter Adventure motorcycles like the Teneré 700, we open our eyes and see the endless opportunities that Adventure riding could be for us and what could be in the future. It’s true that Pol has amazing skills from trials and extreme enduro like no other but inspiring and dreaming has always define us. Because we are all dreamers, this short film is a tribute to all of those who dream, too.

The Seeker is about getting to nowhere investigating miles into the unknown. No rules, no destination but learning about yourself on the journey. Then you probably find where your limits are.

Ride today because future is uncertain. THE SEEKER.

Mogli

Have ridden GS' since the 90s but my favorite trips have been on this beast. It's all an adventure!
IMG_0522.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Bottom