I love Motorcycles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garandman

Going to another track day event Aug 4-5. And just booked two days at NC Bike in October. Tentative plan to take the van down with the track bike and touring bike, ride the event, go down to the Tail Of The Dragon region, ride around there a few days, go down to Fort Benning for a ceremony, drive the van up to the Dahlonega, GA area and ride around there a bit, then head home.

Garandman

Despite proven safety benefits*, many riders won't wear hi-viz riding gear. NHTSA conducted focus groups to find out why.

* Specifically, white or light-colored helmets and hi-viz clothing reduced multi-vehicle accidents.

https://www.ghsa.org/sites/default/files/2019-06/NCREP_MotorcyclistAttitudes19.pdf

Sundry findings.
  • Only 4 percent of cruiser riders indicated that they usually or always wear high-visibility gear.
  • When the topic of motorcycle conspicuity was brought up, most cruiser riders emphasized the importance of noise and lights as opposed to high-visibility gear. The most common modifications that cruiser riders said they made to be noticed were to modify their exhaust so it would emit a louder sound and to add LED headlights. [There is zero study evidence that loud pipes have any safety benefit]
  • Styling was the most important factor in clothing selection.

The top purchasing factors marked as either “very important” or “important” by sport motorcycle riders were crash protection (97%), durability (97%), and comfort (94%).
  • In general, the sport motorcycle riders were more open to using bright colors than the other rider types,
  • Sport bike rider attitudes about why other riders wore hi-viz: “This rider is likely someone new to riding or just getting back into riding, who wants to be seen by other vehicles, and take it slow, but still be able to say that he/she rides a motorcycle.” One rider in Ann Arbor further elaborated by saying, “It is a sign of age. These people don’t care what they look like; they just want to be safe.” [Funny to me since when I see a flat-black helmet, guaranteed it's a new rider]
Universally, the touring riders stated that conspicuity was a big problem for motorcyclists.
  • Most people attributed motorcyclists’ lack of conspicuity to inattention on the vehicle driver’s part. Cell phone use and distracted driving were cited by almost everyone in these groups as a real danger for people riding motorcycles.
  • In the touring groups, the purchasing factors that were most frequently considered important or very important were comfort (97%), weather resistance (94%), durability (88%), and crash protection (70%). In the focus group discussions, comfort of the apparel seemed to be just as important, if not more so, than any crash protection it offered.
I was surprised at how low the overall rate was. Probably because I mostly ride with older, very experienced, performance-oriented riders, where hi-viz clothing is very common.

Last edited:

Garandman

Terrific video, been posting it on local forums every spring for years. It works!

This bike is for sale locally. 1997 Honda RS125.

Last edited:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Re: Cold Shower!

Day One, Afternoon

So I always glance over these links that people humorously post about how "chicks dig bikes" and how "Rides Motorcycle" is the second most popular search criteria for women on places like Match.com etc. and I just laughingly say to myself... Ok, Whatever...

But in an almost movie scripted way, I was standing outside my office door looking at some papers and I hear a voice over my shoulder "Have you been riding motorcycles for a long time?"

I scribble another note over some questionable numbers and turn and look up...

10 weeks ago our office received an infusion of new staff, mainly to support HR as our ranks have swelled to over 100 on site personnel and remote HR was not as effective.

Amy was one of the new assistants, and all stereotypes aside, she was the one that had all the programmer and accountant guys with their noses stuck to the glass as she came into the building in the morning and left in the afternoon.

I would be lying if I didn't say that in the beginning I tried to strike up conversations with her often or say "hello" to her more frequently than others in the office, but she was universally aloof... Never stringing together more than a few words in greeting or in conversation with the majority of the people she interacted with.

You could see her often with the few girlfriends she made at the office talking and laughing... and if one were to say, eavesdrop thru one's office door to conversations she had with others about politics, life, or people, one would get the ready impression that she was an intelligent, insightful person.

After a few weeks of replies like "it was fine..." or "hi" to my salutations like "How was your weekend Amy?" I decided that reality rules the wise and to me she became a competent, efficient fellow employee who regarded me, and most other men in the office as "goons"

"The color is really vibrant, I Love it!"

"Uh... Thanks Amy..."

"I remember when I was really little my dad had a Yamaha and he would let me ride in front of him around the block and it was so much fun! I always wondered why later I didn't get a motorcycle, especially in college. My friends all had motorcycles and we would ride into town to the coffeshop and just hang out for hours! Well they would ride, I would have to hitch a ride with whoever was cutest at the time *laughing*" (She has a pretty laugh)

"That's sounds like it was alot of fu..."

"Oh! and I remember this time that an old boyfriend had a dirtbike and we went out in the middle of nowhere so he could teach me how to ride safely... Turns out he had other things he wanted to teach me, but I still got to ride for a little while and so I was thinking even about riding offroad too!"

"Offroad riding is great, I've done a litt..."

"You ride dirtbikes too? I remember his was a Kawasaki, it was green which is how I knew your bike was a Kawasaki too, I love that color, I'm glad you didn't get it in one of the other colors... What other colors does it come in by the way?"

"Well there's Blu..."

"What year is it?"

"It's a 2005 actually..." (First sentence completed!)

"So its brand new! Is it fun riding into work? I'll bet it makes the commute much nicer than mine. I have to drive in from Walnut Creek, and even though its counter commute, It's such a long way. Did you park out in front?"

"Yes, always, it's easier to keep an eye on it that way *smile*"

"I would probably do that too if I had one *smile* Maybe after lunch we could walk out there, I would love to see it!"

"Sure!"

"ok, well have a great day and I'll come by after lunch..."

-----------------

I'm going to find that magazine article about motorcylists and Convertibles, and read it over again...

author.: Feanor

Last edited:

calbiker

Try carrying all that gear (including pot and frying pan) without a sissy bar. Girlfriend and I flew from Honolulu to San Francisco on a student flight, hitchhiked to Santa Monica to stay with friends until I found & bought the cycle. Added a rear rack and sissy bar and off we went.

D

Deleted member 50714

Man, what an incredible adventure. You resemble Peter Fonda.

glasseye

Last August I sold my '73 Honda 125S. It's the first time since my 16th birthday, some 58 years ago, that I've been without a motorcycle. Sad, eh?

9301 Peter at Kepke Corner crop.jpg

Congrats, calbiker, on your illustrious adventures. The only better mode of travel than by motorcycle is by helicopter. :)

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Obtained a 59 MGA in exchanger for $250 dollars. It had no Head, a 4 banger, wire wheeled good shape car, needed N top. Vacumb carberators, friction front suspension that - adjust by turning wingnuts. Dad found me a MGA complete motor for free and I canablized the head. Finicky 4 speed that needed precise shifting out of reverse as it could get locked in two gears
reverse and first.
Painted entire car drove it for a 18 months. Fun driving car. Sold it through Tribune Add to first buyer
for $1000.

Last edited:

glasseye

My first motorcycle @ 16. 1954 CZ 125. Total loss ignition system because no generator.
Ride until the battery was too low to make spark. Recharge, ride, repeat.

Nice pants, eh?:dance:

20061220221621 1024 px.jpg

20070310_peter_NSU_Bike.jpg
Two years later, I really had my shit together. 56 NSU Super Max. 250cc of OHC four-stroke goodness.

Still got them cool pants, too. :idunno:

Last edited:

calbiker

Back to the '71 road trip. Heading out of LA on the I15, I opened up the throttle going up Cajon Pass just before Victorville. The engine started to whine three quarters up the pass. Reduced speed and later stopped in Barstow for a rest. Found out I lost first gear. Stopped at the Honda shop where the owner told me they couldn't work on the bike for 4 weeks as their local costumers come first. Thought I was screwed. Four weeks in Barstow? We set up camp (in town) right on Route 66 on what appeared to be an old homestead plot. There was an old mattress which fit perfectly inside our tent! Later that evening a guy came to our camp who had overheard my conversation at the Honda shop. He checked with the Yamaha shop and they would take care of me right away. In order to save money, I removed all connections to the engine at camp. All that was left was the frame, wheels and engine, which I then walked to the Yamaha shop. A week later we were back on the road.

Next rest stop was Ludlow. A lady there asked us if we were planning on settling down there. By then we had enough of the desert.

That was the last of mechanical problems with the bike. I did wear out 2 chains. A chain broke heading into Dallas Tx. It got wrapped around the sprocket and got bent up. I was using a rock as a hammer to straighten the chain. Some old guy saw this and he took me to a bike shop. They didn't have my chain, but got a master link to get the old chain back on. The old guy then bought me a bag of groceries and drove me back to the bike.

There are some very friendly helpful people out there.

71MCT005.jpg71MCT006.jpg71MCT015.jpg

Top Bottom