Front Door Seal

glasseye

Al, did you notice significant noise reduction?

The wind noise I hear seems to come mainly from the upper A-pillar area. I always attributed that to turbulence at the corner.

If it reduces noise, I'm in.

galvinize

2003 high top, 150,000 miles

Somehow these posts eluded me while I was dealing with water-under-the-step plates. (...in desperation, I ended up using Gorilla Tape around the perimeter of the original door gaskets). This sounds like a better idea.

Though keeping the water out is my main concern (living in the wet Northeast), noise reduction is certainly a welcome "side-effect". The main question (already asked) is: do the doors shut easily, or do they need a hearty slam to close properly? Did you have to adjust the hinges and striker plate to accommodate the dimension of the additional gasket? In any event, I will try this suggestion

Last edited:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
The main question (already asked) is:

do the doors shut easily, or do they need a hearty slam to close properly?
HKP> at first, harder than before. But now after 10 years not much different from my back doors w/o double layer but with new OEM gaskets.

Did you have to adjust the hinges and striker plate to accommodate the dimension of the additional gasket?
HKP> No.

RonR

Recovering Sprinter Owner
Update for 2013 NCV3
Trying to minimize noise so I ordered the Dodge weatherstrip kit which is really intended for the TIN. While the stock NCV3 is better it is still noisy. This kit will only fit at the rear of the door (filling in a large gap) and at the bottom (another large gap). Some trimming is needed to fit the contours and a very thin layer of foam at the leading edge of the door may good. Could not make it fit at the forward edge of the door, too thick.
In my case the ends are starting to lift. I think a little Sikaflex will fix that once it warms up. Have not yet done a long trip but there appears to be a small decrease in noise from the door with in town driving. It is very hard to discuss noise since it depends on everything that has been done. At this time it seems the main noise issue is the engine (despite a generous application of B-quiet (like dyna-mat), 3/8 rubber mat on the floor, acoustic absorber on the fire wall and a partially foamed b pillar). Thinking I may add another layer of insulation to the hood and more to the firewall and a thin layer at the front of the door opening. Also sounds like the sliding door needs some help.
Better but still not soft conversation quiet.
Ron

Hi George,

I am glad this thread has come back to life. When I dropped your part number in Google, a result at sprinterparts.com came up showing as "Sprinter Door Seal", $34.00. Is this the seal you purchased?

Thanks,

Bob H.

I used 2 pieces of A6387211480, added Sikaflex 252 as recommended in this thread. GREAT RESULT, it is worth all the money for the noise reduction and water repelling, no problem with closing the door, quality rubber. I wish I had something similarly good for the sliding side door because even though this seal is intended for Vito's sliding door, I'm not sure it is any good for T1N's. The noise reduction is especially noticeable at speeds under 100kmph as my 4x4 is pretty noisy from underneath at high speeds.

Top Bottom