Strike 2 for Hoffman Estates Mercedes Benz

big_d

In a previous post, I described an infuriating situation wherein this dealer put a dealer license plate frame on one of our T1N's without our authorization, and in doing so replaced stainless steel screws with large cadmium-plated screws which ruined the plastic grommets in the rear door which accept the screws. It took me a few hours to track down the correct parts and a little while to put things back as they were.

I swore I'd never go there again. But at the suggestion of another user, I gave them a second chance. That may not have been a good idea.

We recently took delivery of two new NCV3's. Shortly after leaving the dealer with the first one, the driver called me and advised me that the right mirror was defective. It was flapping around in the slipstream - the mirror glass, that is.

When he arrived at our garage, I popped out the mirror glass and found that the motor-driven gimbal assembly had a great deal of play in it. The only solution is to replace the assembly.

We took the vehicle to Hoffman Estates Mercedes Benz today. They refused to repair the mirror, claiming that we had damaged it when we stuck a little convex mirror on the mirror glass.

Their claim is not valid for a number of reasons:

1) the mirror problem existed when the vehicle was delivered.

2) the convex was applied by me when I had the glass out to investigate the motor, so application of the convex had no impact on the defect.

3) the gimbal assembly is designed to tolerate manual adjustment of the mirror. applying a convex would require so little force that the mirror would not even move. if application did require sufficient force to move the mirror, it would not require sufficient force to damage the mirror.

I am not sure why they would be motivated to refuse to undertake the repair. They are reimbursed some hourly rate for all warranty repairs they undertake. The more defective mirrors they see, the happier they should be.

I think, perhaps, that they simply had not taken a mirror apart before and they don't know how to do it.

Anyhow, I clearly need to continue my search for a Chicago-area dealer with a decent service department. I am very happy with the service I get from Napleton Dodge in Lansing, IL, but they can't do warranty repairs on anything newer than 2010. I'm looking forward to my latest two vans being out of warranty so that Napleton can do the work on them.

big_d

Oh, and this is funny. If you look at the ratings for this dealer in the dealer list, you'll see that one of the two excellent ratings was posted by the dealership itself.

showkey

One error on your part:

"We recently took delivery of two new NCV3's. Shortly after leaving the dealer with the first one, the driver called me and advised me that the right mirror was defective. It was flapping around in the slipstream - the mirror glass, that is."

Should have turned around and went back same day same hour after it was noticed...........

Any problem found at delivery should be brought back as soon as possible........we have all read other posts about paint scratches and dents etc causing a problem............ when did it happen???.

did your "driver" hand adjust a power mirror or push on a frozen mirror :idunno::idunno::idunno: :hmmm:

Last edited:

big_d

Yep, I thoroughly regret not having the driver turn right around when he noticed the mirror. It would have avoided some major hassles.

That particular dealership is more accustomed to dealing with trucks, I think. They washed the van with a big rotating brush. They seemed surprised that it damaged the paint. I found that quite baffling. The second sprinter was not washed with the sprinter-eating brush, and the paint on it is just fine.

big_d

Loeber Motors in Linconlshire, IL gets a provisional two thumbs up. We were pleased with the first visit. They correctly diagnosed two problems which Hoffman Estates Mercedes choked on big time, they got our driver in and out quickly, and they weren't a nightmare to deal with on the phone. So they get a two thumbs up for now. I hope they keep up the good work. Will report back once I have more touchpoints with them.

big_d

Provisional thumbs up for Loeber is reversed. These guys are bad news. If you don't heed my warning, at least don't let them wash your sprinter. They scratched the hell out of one of my sprinters with a brush on a stick. Cost to remedy was $423 and service manager Austin Craddock refused to reimburse.

big_d

Update 1/10/13: Small claims court round 1 did not rule in our favor regarding scratches. Loeber therefore demands that we retract statement that they scratched our vehicle. While appeal is pending, we acknowledge that court found Loeber not liable. We disagree with the ruling. We believe the evidence supports our contention that Loeber caused scratches to our vehicle by washing it with a brush on a stick.

Last edited:

Top Bottom