Anyone Experience This?

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter
This is another info post concerning 2006 Dodge Sprinters stalling.
Code P2152, P2153 Starter Relay Control Circuit short to ground, vehicle stalls, may restart only to stall again or stalls with no restart, cranks fine.
Cause, wiring from the ECM that feeds + power to both the starter relay and fuel pump relay chafes on steering column/brake pedal pivot mount, once through the insulation will short out and cause the code to set and van to stall, various other wires also chafed so other concerns may develop but this wire seems to be commonly positioned be closest to the cast aluminum support member that has an rough edge, 75% of the vans in our fleet inspected showed signs of chaffing.
Solution, repair any damage to wires insulation, install corrugated plastic wire loom over the harness and you can also put a piece of rubber hose over the edge of the support member and tie wrap in place.
After looking at several vans the routing of this harness seems to vary somewhat, some are at least 1.5" away with no chaffing, others run tight up to the support with varying degrees of chaffing.
To inspect the van open the drivers door, look under the dash to the outboard side of the steering column with a flash light, you will see a cast aluminum support member for the brake pedal and column. The harness is about 5/8" around with several wire colours and has a fabric harness tape spiraled along its length. Check the area for damage to wires. 2006 vans seem to be more prone to this than 2005's, but I would check them regardless of year, if you do find chafing, please let me know.
If you have further questions you would like answered you can pm me, I will respond as time permits.
thank you

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I went outside to snap a picture of it from my '06 140.

Is this the wire and bracket that you're talking about?
DSCF1269.JPG

It barely eeks out of the way! :wtf:
DSCF1273.JPG

No chaffing from what I can see, but I'm going to rebundle it for sure. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Hi Seek, is that blue object behind the aluminum casting another part of your van you have painted blue to match the exterior? What attention to detail! :clapping:

BTW, maybe HitTheRoadJack's post is a "write up"?

Last edited:

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter

No chaffing from what I can see, but I'm going to rebundle it for sure. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:
You are quite welcome!

I will relay your questions to the original poster...Jack

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Hi Seek,

I didn't see the question. Anyway, I was just thinking the post could be moved to the "write ups" category for permanent storage; it's valuable info.

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter

View attachment 4047

View attachment 4048

Hello Seek!

From the lips of the OP:
"Yes, that is the harness, and the bracket. From that angle it looks to be touching, you can add a piece of plastic wire loom if there is no damage and for good measure add a sliced piece of rubber hose to the bracket and tie wrap in place. The wire that was rubbing through on our vans was the purple with light green tracer which supplies power to the fuel pump control and starter control side of the relay's."

I posted my own photo for the OP's observation...was similar to yours...Jack

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
So, just to get this straight, the wire loom touches that larger aluminum metal peice on the right of it, and causes wire to chaf?

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I looked at mine yesterday and can't tell you how surprised I was to see that the wires are already encased. I have a 2005. :thumbup:

Top Bottom