Michigan and the real authorized Sprinter service dealers

PLUMMER

Well today I had sometime to get ready for the first oil change/ 10K/ service. In the metro detroit area I found possibly 1 or 2 dealers out of 16 that even have the correct oil ( but could not confirm 100%). Let alone most swear by what they've been using for yers in any other diesel engine. Then I was told by my "FAVORITE" dealer that my sprinter holds 13.5 to 16 quarts not 10 like the manual says. now he also tells me that the standard mobil 1 is fine and they will not use the ESP MB mobil oil. He claims the NON ESP formula meets 229.3 and 5. Yet in the manual it says no more than 1 quart of these 229.3 and 5 oils. Yet it has to be 229.31 or 229.51 like the ESP formula. This same dealer in the highland area also states that he is one of the only dealers that have actual trained and certified sprinter mechanics. Others just have the approval to sell the sprinter and minor repairs but NO warranty work so you have to be careful about what dealer does work, even tho they say they can. Most said all that was necessary for the first 10K change was an oil change nothing else. prices ranged from 98.00 for the claimed original oil that came from factory to 200.00 for an unconfirmed synthetic or in a couple cases the all grey bottle 0-40w mobil 1 for diesels. ( meeting 229.5 only). So not like I wanted to this time but looks like I'll be changing my own til I can confirm more info and warranty covered fluids. I also think I will be using the 0w-40w /5w-40w oils for better milage and my easy atmospheric conditions. Does anyone have the Mopar # for the ESP oils??????? Thanks

kendall69

Do what I do and have done at the dealer and even at the quick lube places. I bring in my own filters and oil and say use this stuff. I've done it with every vehicle I have ever owned.

The quick lube places only knock off like $3.00 from the $29.00 for my own supplies, but I don't care, their labor is worth that to me, and they dump my old oil.

One dealership ( another vehicle) had $29.00 oil changes, but I brought my own oil and filter ( I was using mobile one filters), they knocked off, the retail price of the oil and the filter and charged me like $14.00 for the change.

Why do I go to the DEALER and bring my own stuff - number one I only use the best synthetic fluids, and filters and dealers never carry them, but most of all I get documentation that it was at a dealer and no one BUT a dealer has ever touched the vehicle.

I went through two manufacturer buy backs, and this process made it case closed for me. I won both cases.

Well today I had sometime to get ready for the first oil change/ 10K/ service. In the metro detroit area I found possibly 1 or 2 dealers out of 16 that even have the correct oil ( but could not confirm 100%). Let alone most swear by what they've been using for yers in any other diesel engine. Then I was told by my "FAVORITE" dealer that my sprinter holds 13.5 to 16 quarts not 10 like the manual says. now he also tells me that the standard mobil 1 is fine and they will not use the ESP MB mobil oil. He claims the NON ESP formula meets 229.3 and 5. Yet in the manual it says no more than 1 quart of these 229.3 and 5 oils. Yet it has to be 229.31 or 229.51 like the ESP formula. This same dealer in the highland area also states that he is one of the only dealers that have actual trained and certified sprinter mechanics. Others just have the approval to sell the sprinter and minor repairs but NO warranty work so you have to be careful about what dealer does work, even tho they say they can. Most said all that was necessary for the first 10K change was an oil change nothing else. prices ranged from 98.00 for the claimed original oil that came from factory to 200.00 for an unconfirmed synthetic or in a couple cases the all grey bottle 0-40w mobil 1 for diesels. ( meeting 229.5 only). So not like I wanted to this time but looks like I'll be changing my own til I can confirm more info and warranty covered fluids. I also think I will be using the 0w-40w /5w-40w oils for better milage and my easy atmospheric conditions. Does anyone have the Mopar # for the ESP oils??????? Thanks
plummer,the manual says 10 quarts for gas 13.5 for diesel

gerry:2cents:

PLUMMER

Thanks for your input gerry, I see that important detail in the manual now. Unfortuantely , I feel for the other 15 dealers that all quoted 9.5-10 quarts. Very frustrating and rediculous that there were so many different stories and uninformed service agents. Now I wonder where the 16 quarrts came from ?????? Oh well. This is a grat excuse to do it myself.

kurt

<<<<excuse to do it myself.>>>>

Do it myself,the only way to go.I use 5-30 syn oil inhouse from WalMart (has all the specs you need)
Buy all my filters (oil,air,fuel) from Eueroparts-sd.com.You save up to 70% from dealer price.
Cost:Oil $28,filter $8
Now close to 80 000 mil I use about 1/2 quarts between 10 000 mil oilchange.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<<<<excuse to do it myself.>>>>

Do it myself,the only way to go.I use 5-30 syn oil inhouse from WalMart (has all the specs you need)
Buy all my filters (oil,air,fuel) from Eueroparts-sd.com.You save up to 70% from dealer price.
Cost:Oil $28,filter $8
Now close to 80 000 mil I use about 1/2 quarts between 10 000 mil oilchange.
Last I checked, Wal-Mart carried no MB229.51 oils.

Has that changed?

-Jon

PLUMMER

The mobil ESP 229.51 is what I have ordered from the local NAPA store. They are the only ones that know about it and carry it from what I have found so far. Filters ( oil & fuel) are what I am after now. Trying to find a good one. Walmart locallly or up north did not have anything beyond the 229.5 or 3. Obviously there is a difference, and so it says in da manual too. I am sure the dealers haven't had any problems yet but also don't know if this .51 spec is specific for 07's and later or what.

Richard, I posted the burn tests on the UCL's in the sprinter talk forum. Don't know if you sen it yet. I also di a straight kero and non ULSD UCL test.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The mobil ESP 229.51 is what I have ordered from the local NAPA store. They are the only ones that know about it and carry it from what I have found so far. Filters ( oil & fuel) are what I am after now. Trying to find a good one. Walmart locallly or up north did not have anything beyond the 229.5 or 3. Obviously there is a difference, and so it says in da manual too. I am sure the dealers haven't had any problems yet but also don't know if this .51 spec is specific for 07's and later or what.

Richard, I posted the burn tests on the UCL's in the sprinter talk forum. Don't know if you sen it yet. I also di a straight kero and non ULSD UCL test.
When Plumber like now or ??
I can't see it :bow:
Richard

PLUMMER

under the fuel additive's thread where you posted the instructions tot he test. In sprinter talk section
thanks

Thanks for your input gerry, I see that important detail in the manual now. Unfortuantely , I feel for the other 15 dealers that all quoted 9.5-10 quarts. Very frustrating and rediculous that there were so many different stories and uninformed service agents. Now I wonder where the 16 quarrts came from ?????? Oh well. This is a grat excuse to do it myself.
plummer,

perhaps the biggest problem with the dealers is the change
from the sprinters thru 2006, and the new 2007 sprinters.

i looked up the maintenance manuals for sprinters thru 2006
and the 2007 maintenance manual and there are some
significant differences. these are at freightliner website

gerry:idunno:

Top Bottom