Clone Key for Sprinter

I can't answer your specific question, but probably just calling around to locksmiths will find what you need. Even in our little rust belt city the local locksmiths now have the technology. That wasn't true just a few years ago. Prices around here seem to be around $75 - $100 for a cut and cloned chip key. vic

Anybody in the San Francisco CA bay area know of a SF locksmith making functioning clone keys for T1N Sprinters?

Thanks in advance

d_bertko

I got mine done at the nearest large locksmith shop for $60. Got an extra plain door key cut on the correct blank as well. The locksmith had the cloning device in a small shoebox.

A cursory web search found Boston area locksmiths that advertised key cloning but I did not figure I could have gotten one anywhere for the previous poster's $35!

Dan

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
No luck yet. :frown: I called and stopped by a few places and while some places can do "new" chip keys, they seem unable to clone a 2005 Mercedes key.

Got 2 flat no-chip copies made that don't work very well... they bind, mostly in one direction. The old key is cracking and worn out enough that copying it perhaps caused some issue. I'll play around and see if I can improve things by polishing the new key and lubing the lock cylinders and door latches.

I'll also grind the shoulders of the new keys down, so that they'll work in the ignition cylinder.

For future reference I asked for an Ilco MB17 blank, they gave me a Silca YM15 blank.Although to me it looks identical, they said "this is not exact, but it should work. Come back if it doesn't fit.". At $9.50 each I will think twice before returning to that shop.

Next stop... Chinatown, to look for a key shop that can clone my chip key.

For future reference I asked for an Ilco MB17 blank, they gave me a Silca YM15 blank.Although to me it looks identical, they said "this is not exact, but it should work. Come back if it doesn't fit.". At $9.50 each I will think twice before returning to that shop.
I noticed that because this was a "clone" thread we neglected to assimilate the door key information.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=110868#post110868

There are a few different blanks which will work. Your YM15 is included. Apparently some may require a bit of special attention for proper fit.

The list:

(Thanks goes to Autostaretx)

A nice feature of that site is their list of MB-17 equilavents:
o Curtis MB37
o Dominion (DL) YM19
o ESP MB17
o Ilco MB17
o JMA ME-HM
o Silca YM15
o Taylor M81X

Edit: It was suggested that a MB19 fits and is long enough to insert into the ignition without modification. I have no verification on this suggestion, but probably worth checking.

--dick
Next stop... Chinatown, to look for a key shop that can clone my chip key.
As a tourist I love visiting Chinatown. Hope they can help you out. vic

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
They had a huge book of key blanks and I seem to recall seeing MB15, MB16 and MB18 listed so maybe there was an MB19 also. After I posted my note about the flat keys, I went ahead and deburred one with a file and used a bench grinder to cut back the shoulders so it could be inserted into the ignition. With the chip key held adjacent to it, it can be used to start the van. It sorta works OK on the doors too, hopefully this will improve after the latches get cleaned and lubed.

They say you can buy anything in Chinatown if you know who and how to ask. Here's hoping that's true... at least for T1N chip key clones. :smilewink:

Boater

Just a thought - can the chip be moved to the new key?

My 1996 312D needs 3 keys.
The ignition and the back door keys have YM0S or YMOS on them, the ignition has a merc logo on the back, longer shoulders and a bigger head. The teeth are quite different.
The key for the other doors is a JMA ME HMP with shoulders between the other 2 lengths.
The door keys are clearly not chipped, the ignition looks like it might be, the head is bigger and thicker and there is grey rectangle to one side if you look along the key towards the edge ofthe head. I was just wondering if this is the chip module and if so can it be carefully prised out and transferred to a new key? I know that on some newer car keys this is possible.

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if '96 sprinters don't have immobilisers - I'm still learning about it! :)

I know buying a car with different locks is always a case of buyer beware, but I figured that on a 16 year old van some wear and tear and replacement was to be expected, like the odd license plate lamps, missing check strap on the n/s rear door and missing bumper for the o/s rear door.

Also someone mentioned lubing their lock(s) just in case you didn't know, graphite powder is the best thing for this, forget oils and WD40 get some graphite lock lube. Mine is by Ambersil, it is a little spray that only holds a few grams of graphite but it goes a long way. I have heard that in a pinch ramming a pencil lead (without the timber casing) into a lock and then grinding up with the key can unjam a sticky lock - probably best to use a good quality pencil!

Jim

Dingo

Hi Boater , rather than jamming a pencil lead into a lock & rattling key about , try rubbing the actual key with the pencil lead . Hard pencil grades provide more graphite than the soft pencils do & its graphite you want . You might just break your key off !!!!!!

With regards to the "chip" in the key , when mine broke , while bimbling around ina strange town without a merc stealership , I got a local locksmith to find a suitable blank , that he cut to my key . He lent me a few tools & i taped the chip part of my old key to the key barrel near to its outer edge . It was a temporary fix that lasted 4 years & about 450,000 miles , We only got new keys , locks & barrel after someone tried to " borrow it " & the insurers coughed up for repairs . No comments from MB man other than " Oh , thats a neat idea "

chrisrad99

I bought key fobs on ebay and had keys cut and paired with my sprinter at the dodge dealership in Gilroy, CA. Not sure if they are still doing that service, it took about an hour and a half for two key fobs.

Regards,
Chris

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Might have been me who mentioned lubing the locks. :tongue:

I normally use graphite on locks, but this time I used Tri-Flo which is very light and non-gummy spray lubricant for guns, reels and such. Hoped to break up any debris that had settled in and allow the broken off key to be teased back out easier. It worked!

For the latch mechanism I'd normally use white lithium grease but since these Sprinter door locks and keys appear to be kind of fragile, minimal resistance along the whole action cycle is a best. This means a slick lubricant that will prevent friction and wear, but also wont attract grit or get gummy in low temps, or over time.

I'm not yet sure what lube to use, if any :thinking: for the latch mechanisms and handles.

Last edited:

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
I just had the locksmith around to re-key an external door on the rental property I'm in and on the off chance, I asked him about spare keys for Mercedes. 'No worries, mate' he said.
His machine (back in the shop) can read the MB transponders and he has the key blanks in stock. Price quoted $130 which is about $40 cheaper than MB.

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
I just had the locksmith around to re-key an external door on the rental property I'm in and on the off chance, I asked him about spare keys for Mercedes. 'No worries, mate' he said.
His machine (back in the shop) can read the MB transponders and he has the key blanks in stock. Price quoted $130 which is about $40 cheaper than MB.
Darn. I'm in California... :cheers:

bebbmi

BrianB
Quick question, I know the clone key is the topic of the thread but I figured someone would know the answer to this since what I need is simpler. I need a spare key for a 2005 dodge 2500 sprinter. Non power locks, non coded key. All I need is the key blank for the van. Looks to me like its a spare key for the 95-99 S500 Mercedes. My local locksmith can cut it but they don't have the correct blank thickness or length. I don't even care if the head is the black plastic. Can be a full metal key. Just need the blanks. Im going to try the Mercedes dealer tomorrow guys I'm sure they will want blood. Anyone sell these? Please respond here and e-mail me directy if you can. I don't check the forums daily.

Brian
Indiana
Bebbmi73@yahoo.com

Quick question, I know the clone key is the topic of the thread but I figured someone would know the answer to this since what I need is simpler. I need a spare key for a 2005 dodge 2500 sprinter. Non power locks, non coded key. All I need is the key blank for the van. Looks to me like its a spare key for the 95-99 S500 Mercedes. My local locksmith can cut it but they don't have the correct blank thickness or length. I don't even care if the head is the black plastic. Can be a full metal key. Just need the blanks. Im going to try the Mercedes dealer tomorrow guys I'm sure they will want blood. Anyone sell these? Please respond here and e-mail me directy if you can. I don't check the forums daily.

Brian
Indiana
Bebbmi73@yahoo.com
From post #24 in this Clone Key thread.

I noticed that because this was a "clone" thread we neglected to assimilate the door key information.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=110868#post110868

There are a few different blanks which will work. Your YM15 is included. Apparently some may require a bit of special attention for proper fit.

The list:

(Thanks goes to Autostaretx)

A nice feature of that site is their list of MB-17 equilavents:
o Curtis MB37
o Dominion (DL) YM19
o ESP MB17
o Ilco MB17
o JMA ME-HM
o Silca YM15
o Taylor M81X

Edit: It was suggested that a MB19 fits and is long enough to insert into the ignition without modification. I have no verification on this suggestion, but probably worth checking.

--dick

As a tourist I love visiting Chinatown. Hope they can help you out. vic
Please go to your duplicate post in the other thread and delete it using the edit function. Duplicate postings just clutter the threads.

vic

cahaak

Search on google or ebay for the key blank #s listed by Vic. I searched for MB17 and you can get them for a little more than $1 at keyblankdepot.com.

Chris

I got two keys off ebay, Auction #300993904368. Hardware store cut and cloned them for me didn't charge me for doing it.:bounce: I had stopped in there a few days before then and they couldn't get the right blank anymore

Top Bottom