Catalytic converter theft!!

parcelpeter

Hey guys just thought i would give you a heads up!! As you can tell with the title of this posting mine was stolen as well as my dpf!! I work for a courier firm and well leave my van in the yard so all 10 vans got done over!! Absolute nightmare....the scum ripped sensors when taking it out......they even undone the bracket in the engine bay from under the van!! they done all 10vans in 15mins!!Cost to fix and replace mine was...£2000!!! Unreal how easy it is to steal........well im fighting back and bought one of these http://www.van-locked.co.uk/Shop/Products/Security/Catloc.html ...... just thought i would give you guys a heads up and dont let the scum get yours!! here is a pic of mine on my dpf filter http://s1.proxy03.twitpic.com/photos/large/402214502.jpg

From what I read on the site that security concept uses special fasteners, cables and an etched identity code. In most of the thefts I've heard details about they use a battery reciprocating saw to cut pipes and the stuff they want loose. I think that pretty much negates the fasteners. We use bolt cutters on scrap sailboat ss cable rigging all the time if the saw won't do it. As to the etched ID, disassembly for the expensive scrap materials would pretty much do that in. It may slow them down a bit? Maybe I'm missing something? vic

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
The thieves laughing hysterically at the site of the lock will be louder than the noise from their saws.. that certainly will get someones attention now!

parcelpeter

ohh yeah dont get me wrong if they wanted the cat or dpf they will get it!! !Im hoping they wont bother if the same van is across the road without one lol (dont leave it in the work yard no more!!!!) .....plus the aim is really to slow them down and cause them more hassel....on the plus side the catloc comes with a money back guarantee so cant go wrong lol...... :clapping:

parcelpeter

ohh and here in the uk most thefts from the sprinters are just from unbolting the exhaust and ripping the sensors out. Most courier drivers from other deopts and companys have been targeted.

BBlessing

61k happy miles
ohh yeah dont get me wrong if they wanted the cat or dpf they will get it!! !Im hoping they wont bother if the same van is across the road without one lol (dont leave it in the work yard no more!!!!) .....plus the aim is really to slow them down and cause them more hassel....on the plus side the catloc comes with a money back guarantee so cant go wrong lol...... :clapping:
yeah, they will refund teh price of the catloc. :bash:

bb

Kat

Katmobile
So is this cat theft problem mainly with thieves targeting commercial vehicles in parking lots? Or are they also scouring residential neighborhoods, shopping centers and public streets to steal them from our Sprinter RV's too?

I'm just wondering if this is anything I need to worry about.

Do I have to lock down my cat?

61XBo0YJEgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks!

Kat

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Kat, the bakery theft mentioned in the http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5546 thread happened about a mile from my house in Seattle.
I think Washington State laws were changed to block scrap metal sales of catalytic converters from individuals, thereby lowering the chance of casual theft.
Running a sawz-all after midnight in a residential neighborhood is also somewhat of a deterrent (versus an industrial-area parking lot).

But there have been postings by folks buying used Sprinters finding out (at the next emission inspection) that there's only a straight pipe where the CAT used to be... (not in WA, though)

--dick

Last edited:

Is someone who steals catalytic converters a ...... a......a.......CATALYPTIC?
:laughing:

or a CAT BURGLAR. Let's not keep this going though. It may make the readers go catatonic sending them to seek medical help for which they would need to pay by waiting in the fee line which would be a minor catastrophe. vic

djsincla

But there have been postings by folks buying used Sprinters finding out (at the next emission inspection) that there's only a straight pipe where the CAT used to be... (not in WA, though)

--dick
Couldn't happen on current MB BluTec's as emission system would throw a fit. Vehicle would likely be disabled.

About 9 months ago, my neighbor lost two CC's same night from his two Toyota Forerunners. Not good. They did not touch my T1N 2004 Sprinter in the driveway and other Toyota vehicles were impacted in the surrounding area. I'm pretty sure specific model vehicles are targeted as CC theft is not an activity that lends itself to on the job training.

I'm not sure how a bicycle cable would stop a theft. I would also need to understand the heat dissipation associated with encapsulating the CC with stainless steel.

Here's another brand I found...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xck9MV2-Jw

I am thinking of protecting the CC on my NCV3.

Dwayne

Last edited:

72chevy4x4

I use a sawzall all the time in my profession...legally :laughing: It is extremely difficult to cut steel wire with a sawzall b/c it moves with every stroke of the tool-pinching the steel wire between the blade and something solid works. maybe if you had 1/2" bar metal welded along the bottom of the piping/cat, it would take a long, long time to cut through 1/2" bar steel!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Thread the metal bar through some PVC piping and introduce some flour or other harmless white powder before installing.

Paint the words "protected by anthrax" on the PVC.

If I were a thief, I'd think twice about cutting into to it and be really freaked out when I got a face full of white powder.

-Jon

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I can't see how any of the devices would put up much of a fight against my battery grinder. There would be a bit of noise, but it wouldn't last long or matter in many cases. Some dealerships here are now temporarily removing exhausts from stock vehicles kept outside.

SYCO GT

Has anyone installed a cat clamp? Just heard tonight that a friend lost his 4 Runner cat converter in his office parking lot. Nice area, just a 9 - 5 day job too.

Top Bottom