Goodride SC301 Tire(s) 195/70-15 70R15 ??

HMR TYM

As winter approaches and I stare at my OEM tires "VANCO Four Season" and the usual outer tread wear more than the center or the inner, i'm wondering about anouther brand to try...

So i did a search for the size only and came across these "Goodride" lol should I, i wonder? Never heard of them, they have the same specs as the Continentals but i'm only getting about 60K out of the Conti's. Could these be much worse. I would only do the fronts because the rears are still fine for another winter.

Anyone?

No i'm too afraid to go up in size so i'm staying with what my vans came with.

talkinghorse43

As winter approaches and I stare at my OEM tires "VANCO Four Season" and the usual outer tread wear more than the center or the inner, i'm wondering about anouther brand to try...
My first set of Michelins wore like yours and only went 90k miles due to that uneven wear. I interpreted the wear pattern as too much camber (+/-?). Subsequently, the pattern corrected itself and my tires now wear evenly. I'm guessing something "settled" in the front suspension. Either MB designed the initial camber to allow for that "settling" or designed it for a higher load than I normally carry. My guess is that any tire you use will wear unevenly unless your suspension "settles", you start carrying heavier loads, or you modify (I think spacers are available to control camber) the front suspension.

HMR TYM

oth my vans do this, and we carry a pretty heavy load in both. I figured its an alignment issue but too busy to take it in to see.

Do Michelins come in the 195/70/15's? On one of my vans i tried the Nokian's and they wore the same way on the outter edges.

talkinghorse43

I figured its an alignment issue but too busy to take it in to see.
Only toe is adjustable with the T1N - off-spec toe-in would result in "feathering" of the trailing edge of the tread pattern. I think I remember camber can be changed by use of spacers. If interested, search using the blue bar above for a spacer source.

Maybe a little more pressure is needed? Outer edges wearing more is often related to that. If the pressures are low the wear on the outer edge may be more exaggerated than the inside, but still caused by low inflation compared to the loads? I started running higher pressure in my front tires because I noticed more wear on the edges. It helped to even it out. vic

HMR TYM

Maybe a little more pressure is needed? Outer edges wearing more is often related to that. If the pressures are low the wear on the outer edge may be more exaggerated than the inside, but still caused by low inflation compared to the loads? I started running higher pressure in my front tires because I noticed more wear on the edges. It helped to even it out. vic
I run 60 psi in the fronts, are you suggesting 70?

If my tires were wearing more on both outsides than on the center tread I would increase the tire pressures in steps until I got to max allowable to see if it helped. While doing that I would also monitor the ride and driving performance. You don't want to overdo it to the point of being unsafe. I run my radial boat trailer tires at maximum because I found the wear pattern is better when I run them that way.

YMMV. I'm not an expert. vic

talkinghorse43

I run the MB recommended 55 psig in the front because I found very early on when the van was delivered to me with 80 psig in the front that steering control was difficult and the fronts were wearing excessively on both edges.

HMR TYM

I run the MB recommended 55 psig in the front because I found very early on when the van was delivered to me with 80 psig in the front that steering control was difficult and the fronts were wearing excessively on both edges.
hmmmm maybe go down then because we do keep it at 60-70 most of the time, i'll try 55 with the new set.

Fair enough. That would not be what I expected for tire wear vs pressure. It still is load dependent too.

I did say "YMMV. I'm not an expert." vic

Top Bottom