Tires rotated at Sam's Club?

TonyF

TonyF
I purchased replacement tires at my local Sam's Club a year ago. When I took my '08 Adventurous RS back to Sam's, to take advantage of their free tire rotation offer, I found that there was not sufficient clearance on their bay's door. The extra height presented by the air conditioner prevented full entry. They suggested I call Sam's in some of the other towns in the area. I called two; neither had any idea how much clearance their doors had. So, I'm faced with a bit of trial an error or just pay to have them rotated. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

A roll around floor jack and a couple jackstands?

If you believe the "Never jack a Sprinter differential" myth...

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90965#post90965

then just jack up the back using other jack points.

This is how I'd do it.

Find a level spot to park. Block front wheel(s). Loosen all lugs a bit, jack the rear, place the jackstands under the rear, move to the front, jack that up - leaving the jack in place, rotate tires as necessary, snug wheel lugs, lower front, raise rear, remove stands, lower rear, torque all wheel lugs as necessary. Or suggest that they do this? Less complicated than it sounds. Have fun. vic

Last edited:

TonyF

TonyF
Thanks, Vic.
Yes, I do have a couple of jack stands and a roll around floor jack that I used one time when replacing the black water drain/hose on my old '96 Chevy Roadtrek Popular 210. Its about time I put that old gear to new use!

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
A roll around floor jack and a couple jackstands?

If you believe the "Never jack a Sprinter differential" myth...

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90965#post90965

then just jack up the back using other jack points.

This is how I'd do it.

Find a level spot to park. Block front wheel(s). Loosen all lugs a bit, jack the rear, place the jackstands under the rear, move to the front, jack that up - leaving the jack in place, rotate tires as necessary, snug wheel lugs, lower front, raise rear, remove stands, lower rear, torque all wheel lugs as necessary. Or suggest that they do this? Less complicated than it sounds. Have fun. vic
So you feel the axle tubes are strong enough on the Sprinter to do this? What about fully loaded? I just consider it to be a fragile van, I would do this with no load, but loaded like mine is, I might be concerned with loading weight on the axle tube. With all my other vehicles, I have never hesitated to jack both wheels at the pumpkin.

I thought I covered this fairly well in my Stoopid Things thread with description and references... maybe not?
So you feel the axle tubes are strong enough on the Sprinter to do this?
Yes.

What about fully loaded?
Yes.

I might be concerned with loading weight on the axle tube.
You don't ever want to point load the axle tubes proper. The axle tubes are mounted into sockets at the differential and wheel ends. A cylinder shape (tube) is very strong if not point loaded. When you lift on the differential the load is transferred by the socket fittings, to the tubes, to the spring mounts and does not point load the axle tubes.

There aren't a plethora of "I bent my Sprinter axle tubes jacking my differential" posts on the internet when I searched. I don't think that is because every Sprinter owner and technician has joined Sprintervan or Sprinter-source so they know about the myth and don't jack their Sprinters by the differential. I'm quite certain many Sprinters are jacked by the differential all the time.

With all my other vehicles, I have never hesitated to jack both wheels at the pumpkin.
So what is so different about the design of your Sprinter, other than people misinterpreting the operator manual OEM bottle jack caution? That caution is not repeated in any service manual I have seen. YMMV. vic

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
There aren't a plethora of "I bent my Sprinter axle tubes jacking my differential" posts on the internet when I searched. I don't think that is because every Sprinter owner and technician has joined Sprintervan or Sprinter-source so they know about the myth and don't jack their Sprinters by the differential. I'm quite certain many Sprinters are jacked by the differential all the time.
Valid point :thumbup:

Top Bottom