Air conditioning

indigoE

2003 passenger van, 114,000 miles

A/C is functioning properly... but considering the age of the vehicle, I wonder: Does the A/C need periodic check-ups... and would the need for refrigerant ("evacuation and recharge") show up as an error code? Could a place like Meineke be trusted to check the MB system?

cahaak

If the AC is functioning properly, leave it alone. The most common problem people have here is a slow leak of the freon on the main AC, or loosening or disapearance of the belt to the accessory rear AC. If your AC is still working trouble free after all these years, you should count yourself as blessed and continue on as before, you're doing something right!

Chris

talkinghorse43

I get mine evacuated and refilled every 2 yrs for $125. The guy I go to (one man independent auto AC shop) says it's good practice and keeps water out of the system as well as keeping it working effectively. Mine has the rear evaporator and the piping is extensive (and expensive) so I want to keep it in good shape to (hopefully) minimize expense in the long run.

indigoE

Don't fix it unless its broke!:2cents:
The old dilemma of preemptive repairs...I have heard the rumor that lack of refrigerant can ruin the compressor. I was hoping an error code would let me know when it was time to do A/C maintenance!

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
The only issue I have had was that after changing the cabin filter, the stick on foam was not sealing very well anymore (about half was missing), and I did not get as much air blowing into the cabin system because of the missing foam. I found some lite stick on foam insulation at a hardware store, cleaned the old stuff off (using rubbing alcohol after removing the sticky tape from the plastic), and when I got it all back together again, I was getting more air blown thru my AC. Cools much better.

I check my AC every year on my cars, and add some R134a if needed. It was low when I got my Sprinter last year, but is still good now - over a year later.

I check the pressure with one of these gauges. Overfilling the Sprinter AC makes the belt slip (Chirps), and it does not cool very well. On the gauge shown here - I shoot for 40 PSI - R134a, any more and I have to remove some refrigerant. I check it in the morning, when its cool out.

I got this gauge at the auto parts store along with a few small cans of R134a.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
The refrigerant carries the lubricating oil thru the system. The compressor is the only component that requires oil. If your regrigerant charge is low, oil will not migrate to the compressor; thereby shortening its life. Full charge for a normal TIN with front air only is 1.9lbs

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
2003 passenger van, 114,000 miles

A/C is functioning properly... but considering the age of the vehicle, I wonder: Does the A/C need periodic check-ups... and would the need for refrigerant ("evacuation and recharge") show up as an error code? Could a place like Meineke be trusted to check the MB system?

I always check my thingamajig with the whatchamacallit and make sure that the level on the porthole glass is always facing southwest. Don't forget to change the air in doohickey from time to time just in case any problems with other hydroids come popping out.

Other than that, you should be good.:tongue::tongue:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I always check my thingamajig with the whatchamacallit and make sure that the level on the porthole glass is always facing southwest. Don't forget to change the air in doohickey from time to time just in case any problems with other hydroids come popping out.

Other than that, you should be good.:tongue::tongue:
In other words, more detailed instructions and pictures for the uninformed would be appreciated.

rlent

To the OP,

Probably one of the best things you can do for your AC is to run it periodically - like once per month, year round - for some period of time ..... helps keep things like seals from drying out.

Top Bottom