Building my Adventure Van (2011 NCV3)

Geek

I have 3 more gallon of dip coming at the end of the week but I don't know how long this weather is going to hold so I decided to mask off the left side of the van and spray until I run out. I'm pretty sure I don't have enough left to do everything I've prep'd but I'll give it a go starting with trying to get 3 good quality coats on the rear doors and then spraying whatever I have left up the left side.

Have to open up all the awnings to spray the white under neath them:

draped the entire front to avoid overspray

Masked it using the same natural mask line (rubber body seam) as last time so the two spray jobs do overlap along this 2mm body seam.

Removed the side panels

I can see why this folded seam (which I'm sure is part of the van's "strength in a collision" design) is where a lot of the gents in the UK have their rust begin. It definitely holds water and debris!

If I weren't plasti-dipping the entire van, I'd pop these panels and coat/seal all of these seems either way :thumbup:

...and that brings me to where the van is now.
I still have quite a bit of prep work todo but I'll have the entire morning waiting for it to warm up. The forecast up here tomorrow is 70'ish which is ideal. :rad:

Somebody was asking me for more details on the body panel tools I was using.
I just picked them up locally at harbor freight for like $4 but if you don't have a harbor freight nearby any of these kits will work:

Link to Body Tools: http://bit.ly/1uN38gm

hein

Van Guru
Quite the transformation in progress. Looks awesome.

Those round discs (close up of LH rear quarter panel) next to the holes where the trim attaches are basically stickers over more holes in the body. These stickers curled and had come loose on my van perhaps due to Rhinoliner being sprayed on them from the inside. I'm not sure you'll have the same reaction with the Plasti-Dip or if you even intend to spray that area. There are some rubber plugs that you can put in the holes. You may also be aware that water leaks past the clips that hold the side trim on. George sealed his from the outside.

Last edited:

PaulDavis

Quite the transformation in progress. Looks awesome.

Those round discs (close up of LH rear quarter panel) next to the holes where the trim attaches are basically stickers over more holes in the body. These stickers curled and had come loose on my van perhaps due to Rhinoliner being sprayed on them from the inside.
No rhinoliner here, and they were coming lose on mine too.

You may also be aware that water leaks past the clips that hold the side trim on. George sealed his from the outside.
outside is significantly easier than the inside, due the positioning of some of the clips. I just gooped up the plastic plugs/clips with whichever elastomeric sealant i was using, before i pushed all the trim back on.

dazdconfssd

So out of curiosity, was Line-x/Rhinoliner considered as an alternative? It would seem to me to hold up better to impacts than Plasti-dip? I've seen other vans done this way to better survive off pavement adventures

jostalli

So out of curiosity, was Line-x/Rhinoliner considered as an alternative? It would seem to me to hold up better to impacts than Plasti-dip? I've seen other vans done this way to better survive off pavement adventures
I don't know why anyone would Line-x/Rhinoliner the exterior of an entire vehicle. Have you tried to remove it? It's an enormous pain. Since it's never coming off it definitely reduces resale value.

NBB

Way to get after it ... ! I see your van all the time around town, can't wait to see the new color.

Geek

Got the final section done today. Yay :)

The awning was a pain in the butt to mask up.

...literally finished as the sun was going down.
Good thing too! I'm not sure if we have any more days up here that will be within the spraying temperature range!

Full reassembly tomorrow :popcorn:

Geek

Gloomy skies do not make for the best photography but I had to snap a couple of photos of the finished product here in my neighborhood this evening before it got dark :thumbup:

PaulDavis

Given my expressed doubts as you started this process, I want to say that it looks great and I hope it solves your rust problems! Really, really great.

Geek

That looks GREAT Coby!
I'm curious what you did for metal prep work? How many gallons did you end up using?

I'd love to keep comparing notes on how things hold up over time.

:cheers:

p.s. Are those tires the Duratec Wranglers?

Top Bottom