Building my Adventure Van (2011 NCV3)

Now, due to criteria #1, I'm going to be putting them all in the center console which is easily visible from the back. I'll know I forgot to turn the backup camera off at a glance when I wake up at 3am worried about whether the van will start in the morning . :thumbup:
I like the logic of that, but my 100# little rescued friend would do those toggle handles in eventually. He already took out a couple dash vent louvers. :bash: Great idea if you don't have a large furry friend. :thumbup: vic

Titan2009NovSm.jpg

Colorado_Al

Big thanks to whomever originally created the sketchup floorplan for the 144 :cheers:
Same here! I only wish my carpentry & metalwork skills were as good as my computer skills. My rig looks way better in sketchup than in real life. It is, however, much more fun and useful to use in real life, than in sketchup.

Geek

I've been wasting lots of time in Sketchup.
As I get better with it it gets easier.. but trying to do things with actual dimensions accurately is a bit time consuming when I have to make all the components (like the 8020 15 series x 72" rails I made below)

Geek

ok.. I'm an idiot.. right after I posted that last image I thought to myself "I wonder if there are pre-made 8020 sketchup components....

sure enough..

back to square one :lol:

NBB

Have you hauled a dirt bike around inside the vehicle before? They are too dirty and smelly for my tastes - gasoline fumes the biggest issue. There is a thread here somewhere about putting those things on a hitch carrier. Just a thought.

CAD modeling - yes. I did't model my cabinets with a high level of detail, except for the kitchen area where things were punching out the side of the vehicle - lots of squeeze and fit issues, etc. I think it's mandatory for good work, at least for me.

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Thanks for posting the sketch up drawings. Looks like something I need to play with. All my conversion stuff was drawn with General Cadd which is a simple 2D drawing package. My business engineering drawings are done in General Cadd. If it is drawn to scale, there are very few problems at fabrication time. Everything fits as it is supposed to. This conversion process takes long enough just building things one time. I would hate to have to redo stuff.

Geek

Some boxes arrived today :rad:

Now to get them powder coated (the factory finish sure is pretty... but my brain tells me they are the wrong color).

the mercedes alloy wheel pattern

Center hubs, valve stems, and 24 new lugbolts

I'm not quite sure what the finish is but to me it looks like they are painted and then clearcoated. The finish is PERFECT. I'm sure some day down the road I'm going to regret screwing with it...

Hmmmmm... maybe I should bling it up and mask off the chrome mercedes emblems so they stay chrome after powder coating :rofl

Geek

I'm still waiting on the four TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensors) units... they should be here the middle of next week.

Frosty_1

Geek,

As for you question about the Maxx fan, I originally wanted the controls on the fan itself as well as the remote. I'm going to try out my current configuration for now, and if I don't like it I'll upgrade after next summer.

Nice choice on the wheels. I ordered them from the factory, but am now faced with the problem of not having a second set. Not sure how I'm going to get them powder coated? :thinking: I'd like mine black as well...thought about using a rattle can of plasti-coat or something, then if I didn't like it I'd pressure wash it off...

Frosty

Geek

Frosty: I feel your pain.. that's exactly why I ordered them afterward... then when I get them swapped I'm going to get my steal wheels powder coated black as well and then have studded snow tires put on them for snowboarding duty :thumbup:

Frosty_1

I scour Craigslist everyday, as I'd like a studded set as well. I ordered the M+S option from the factory, so I'll make do with those for now.

Frosty_1

Geek,

One more question for ya: I'm nearly done insulating and want to tackle the headliner area. You mentioned the seat belts being a PIA to remove. Any tips or tricks you learned when you removed yours? Have you insulated above your headliner yet? I just need to lower it enough to get an arm under it...

Geek

I've not touched the headliner yet.. not sure how it releases.

The key with the seatbelts is to be very careful of the mechanism that allows you to adjust it "up & down" at the shoulder. There is a metal aluminum key in there that is spring loaded and held in by a plastic clip.

That plastic clip takes literally light finger pressure to "pop out" and then the entire thing comes apart and the spring goes flying.

DAMHIK :laughing:

Hope this helps :cheers:

Geek

That's exactly what I'm doing but I'm having trouble deciding if I want to go color matched with the grey trim (like in that photo) or if I want to go black. I just really like how a white vehicle with black rims looks (probably because of fantasizing about something like this...) :laughing:

Geek

I think I'm going to take them down to Woody's wheel works in Denver. I've used Woodys with various motorcycle wheel issues over the years; good people :thumbup:

Top Bottom