Step bumper question

A.Hayes

Hi guys,
I picked up a used step bumper bracket and cover for my '02 140" WB T1N last weekend... I figured it would bolt right up, but after looking at it today the bracket doesn't look like it will land on the hitch bolt holes like I thought it would. This has me wondering if the bracket for the 118" WB was different and maybe I have one of those? I should have checked first I guess, but it didn't occur to me beforehand that they might be different. I can probably make it work, but wanted to check before I start drilling holes or modifying it. Thanks.

According to this list the same hitch model numbers fit a range of wheelbases, but there are exception notes in the tech tips and installation notes. So apparently all Sprinters are not exactly the same. FWIW.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2003_Dodge_Sprinter+Van.htm

My 2004 140 step bumper metal has rusted away under the plastic to the point where it sags noticeably when stepped on in the middle. I'm told about 120 bucks for the metal frame only from the dealership. I'll soon be in your install mode too. Good luck. vic

bc339

The step bumpers are different, depending on the wheelbase. The parts manual lists at least three different steps, two different fascia covers (one for vehicles with the backup sensor). The step should mount on the inside of the frame rails. The problem may come up if you are trying to mount a hitch, too. The hitch will need to mount on the outside of the rails to work with a step.
If your hitch mounts on the inside rails, you have a few choices. You can get a new hitch that mounts on the outside rails or modify your step bumper brackets. The brackets will have to be removed, swapped left for right, then re-welded so the step now mounts on the outside of the frame.

Bruce

A.Hayes

Thanks guys- it looks like the used bumper bracket I picked up must have been for a 118", or maybe the dually? The gray fascia is the same so I thought it all would be. Apparently the one I have bolts to the frame rail in a different location than one of the four hitch bolt holes. I have the Curt hitch that I'll have to take off and re-install, but these are made to work with the step bumper (as long as you have the right one). Anyway, it's just the long end of the brackets that I'll need to modify, the vertical bolts should line up fine.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
This is news to me. I've sold four 118 bumpers and have had no complaints.

Top Bottom