no hazard/turn/side lights

2003 2500. I wanted to put an electric oil guage on so had to tap into 12v, aux 12v, and dash light circuit. Spliced into 12v and aux circuits under driver seat and was looking for a wire for night light [checking the side marker light on left side by mirror] when I noticed the turn signals did not work, nor did the hazard lights. I took the fuze strip off under the steering wheel and found no apparent problems. The relays I have switched to determine that the turn signal relay is ok and the turn signals still don't work. There is 12v across the fuze for the hazards so they should be getting power. Now the top bolt on the fuze strip won't come off to check it again. The oil guage works fine, except for a night light [still working on that], but no turn signals. Can't find any fuzes blown anywhere and eveything else seems to be working fine. The only other symptom I have is that the left headlight low beam won't work if the back of the headlight shell is off but will work with it on. Any ideas? Supposed to be leaving tomorrow for long trip. Thanks, Larry H

Colorado_Al

2003 2500. I wanted to put an electric oil guage on so had to tap into 12v, aux 12v, and dash light circuit. Spliced into 12v and aux circuits under driver seat and was looking for a wire for night light [checking the side marker light on left side by mirror] when I noticed the turn signals did not work, nor did the hazard lights. I took the fuze strip off under the steering wheel and found no apparent problems. The relays I have switched to determine that the turn signal relay is ok and the turn signals still don't work. There is 12v across the fuze for the hazards so they should be getting power. Now the top bolt on the fuze strip won't come off to check it again. The oil guage works fine, except for a night light [still working on that], but no turn signals. Can't find any fuzes blown anywhere and eveything else seems to be working fine. The only other symptom I have is that the left headlight low beam won't work if the back of the headlight shell is off but will work with it on. Any ideas? Supposed to be leaving tomorrow for long trip. Thanks, Larry H
Check fuse #8 or maybe #15. Also when checking your fuses, don't just look at them, I would use an ohm meter to test for continuity.

mendonsy

when checking your fuses, don't just look at them, I would use an ohm meter to test for continuity.
Absolutely!! A bad fuse is not always obvious.
Pull them out, physically inspect them, and test them with a meter.
Better yet, replace them and if your problem is solved throw the old ones away.

We have driven 1500 miles and the only symptom seems to be the large 30A fuzes in the lower block under the driver seat has blown twice. The fuze door says there are 2 fuzes[?] one for right turn one for left turn but there are no #s on the block to narrow down which they are. Still no turn or hazard lights, nothing lights, beeps, buzzes, etc. so absolutely no juice getting to that circuit. Any other ideas? Thanks.

The top bolt of the steering wheel fuze block will not come out. It just spins, seems that the nut is loose in the plastic. How can that be removed? It was tightened with 1/4" palm ratchet. I am sure that has to come out to check those connections. Thanks.

How can that be removed? It was tightened with 1/4" palm ratchet. I am sure that has to come out to check those connections. Thanks.
Mine was bound in tight. Because I thought the fuse block had probably been removed previously on my used van, I blamed someone's heavy hand on tightening it. After your palm ratchet comment I'm thinkin' maybe it just happens? :idunno:

Anyway, I tried wedging a small screwdriver into the area to stabilize the nut and a few other things. Nothing seemd to work so I finally broke it loose with brute force. I agree that the plastic holder is marginal. The problem with breaking it loose is that then a method must be devised to hold the fuse block in the proper position. I used some Goop with mesh as a permanent stabilizer and duct tape to hold mine in place until the Goop cured.

YMMV. vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom