Checking Tire Pressure

Frances

We have noticed that the valve stem for the outside rear tires is on the inside of the tire- it actually is facing the inside tire. This is making it very difficult to actually check the pressure.
Does anyone know if it would present a problem if we took the tires off and turned them around so that the valve stem is accessible?
Thanks for your help.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I assume you mean the outside rear tire on a 1 ton 3500 model.
If you took the outside wheel off and turned it around, it would not reach the hub to put back on due to the offset shape of the rim and the location of the inner tire next to it.
If you put tire pressure monitors on the outer wheels that might be a soln, or you'll have to remove the wheels each time you test them

glas1700

Buy one of these gauges to easily check air pressure on both the inner and outer tires.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/tire-pressure-gauge/25770

Byron
07 Navion

We have noticed that the valve stem for the outside rear tires is on the inside of the tire- it actually is facing the inside tire. This is making it very difficult to actually check the pressure.
Does anyone know if it would present a problem if we took the tires off and turned them around so that the valve stem is accessible?
Thanks for your help.

larry8061

There are a couple of ways to go about this.

1: There are "systems" that will allow you to run a smallish hose to the center hub on the outside to easily check the tire pressure.

2: There is also a system out there that will allow you to combine the two tire pressures so they will equalize each other. That company's contention is that because of brake temperatures and other issues the inside tire runs hotter and hence has a higher air pressure and hence again is taking all the load.

Both of those are real truck oriented products. You might want to track down the I-80 truck stop parts webpage get some names of products and go from there.

Good luck,

Larry

Papa Don

With regard to checking the tire pressures, is there a way to check with out taking off the wheel cover? I have to proper guage, but have to take off the wheel covers each time and sure would like to find a way to check the pressures and add air without taking off the covers.

Thanks!

Papa Don

Top Bottom