Engine will not shut off

Stanley

I have 2008 Dodge 2500 with a V6.

On a recent trip the engine would not shut down when I turned off the ignition and removed the key. At an authorized Sprinter service center it was diagnosed as a faulty instrument cluster which was promptly replaced. We completed our trip of 1200 miles without further incident arriving home two days ago.

Yesterday, after a short trip around town, the same problem occurred. After about 20 minutes and several attempts to get the engine to shut down, i.e. - reinserting the key and turning it on then, putting the vehicle in reverse or drive - with no success, the engine simply stopped on its own.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem or know of this happening? Does anyone one have an idea of what might be going wrong here. The Sprinter services departments I have contacted do not have a ready answer.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Pulling the fuel pump relay should shut off the engine, but that doesn't cure your problem. On the T1N the fuel pump relay is under the driver seat. I'm not certain where it is in an NCV3.

From what I know... in your case something must be keeping power to pretty much everything engine related for it to continue to run normally. In the old days of mechanical fuel pumps and mechanical injection all you needed was fuel supply. These days I'm quite certain you need full computer control. That is unless it's pulling a fuel source from somewhere else. If it is not smoking and running poorly when it won't shut down that is highly unlikely. FWIW. vic
I have 2008 Dodge 2500 with a V6.

On a recent trip the engine would not shut down when I turned off the ignition and removed the key. At an authorized Sprinter service center it was diagnosed as a faulty instrument cluster which was promptly replaced. We completed our trip of 1200 miles without further incident arriving home two days ago.

Yesterday, after a short trip around town, the same problem occurred. After about 20 minutes and several attempts to get the engine to shut down, i.e. - reinserting the key and turning it on then, putting the vehicle in reverse or drive - with no success, the engine simply stopped on its own.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem or know of this happening? Does anyone one have an idea of what might be going wrong here. The Sprinter services departments I have contacted do not have a ready answer.

glas1700

This same problem has cropped up on the Yahoo View-Navion group. There hasn't been a solution to the problem, but removing the backup light fuse turns the engine off. In this case, the backup camera stays on all of the time, so the wiring installed by Winnebago could be suspect.

If you have an aftermarket backup camera or other aftermarket electrical product installed, check the wiring.

Byron
07 Navion

Stanley

When the engine is running without a key it seems normal including revving when throttle is applied. The first time this occurred the vehicle reverted to what I am told is "safe mode". I drove it about twenty miles from where the shut off failed to a Sprinter friendly service shop at 40 to 50 mph.

There is an after market backup camera, so when I get it to a service center I will include that information.

Another quirky thing: I have a Parrot bluetooth for my cell installed. I was sitting in the driver's seat outside the shop while the tech was running diagnostics via wireless from his computer inside. I could see various dashlights come on and go off as the radio displayed "diagnosing". The Parrot bluetooth unit then activated my cell phone, which was sitting untouched on the dash, dialing the last number called which was the service desk number inside.

More information: This is a handicap conversion van with a six way power seat base and wheelchair lift. These items always have power on.

Thank you for the input.

Stanley

If you have an aftermarket backup camera or other aftermarket electrical product installed, check the wiring.
The vehicle is now operating properly. The wiring for the aftermarket backup camera is now disconnected. Thank you Byron.

The techs at the Mercedes-Benz dealership here in Billings ran their diagnostics. There were four 'No CAN message from control unit KI & EZS" when the engine was running without the key.

One message was good for a chuckle though.
"Vehicle speed signal - The signal from control module ESP is implausible."

They were not able to zero in immediately on what might be the cause; however, in following up on the tip from Byron and I expect some of their own intuition, with the backup camera disconnected the engine starts and stops as it should. For full disclosure, when a burned out bulb in the left taillight assembly was replaced, the b/u camera wiring found there was of suspect condition and begged to investigated.

There still are anomalies in the electrical system - specifically a rear heater fan that won't shut off; but, at least I have motorized transportation for now.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
dodgy solenoid.if you stuck just try to drive with you foot on the brake thatll do it.

Larosesj

So better late than never but I figured I would chime in with what I have experienced. The sprinter I have dealt with was an 08 with the 642 V6 diesel. With the key moved to the off position and removed the engine was still running. Pulling the fuel pump fuse in the short term was the ideal choice to get the truck to shut down. The issue was sourced to circuit 15 having constant power even with the key in the so-called off position. The CDI was still seeing that the ignition was on so it kept the engine running. Long story short the connector X26/38 under the CDI (9 pin connector) was full of corrosion and pin 4 was melted causing a short. With that repaired the vehicle would shut off and on as intended. In case anybody was curious

Top Bottom