Fasteners, Retainers, etc.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Headliner Clip: MB - A0089880978, Dodge - 05125569AA

View attachment 3341

This clip slides into a metal receptable on the ceiling headliner and pops into a hole in the ceiling brace.

I am replacing the same kind of clip on a T1N's Passenger Van's interior side panels below the windows.

I cannot see how I get the head on top back into the panel. so i can then attach to the body.

I have tried to thread them in using a circular function, but it seems to be destroying the chip board back board inside, and before I butcher it any more, is there some special tool to attach these to a panel after having removed the broken version?

Thanks for any help in advance

autostaretx

Erratic Member
So i looked at my still-in-place clips (and tried tugging a bit)
..and at the first photo in this thread (showing how flat the buried "pin" really is)

If it were me... i'd probably take a small electrical diagonal cutter and nip a // slanted slot in that top (to be inserted through the board) disk.

That would give me a "thread" that could then be screwed into the hole (selective "warping" of the "leading edge" of that "thread" would help too.

Once in place, that single missing section should not compromise the strength of the finished assembly.

pin03.jpg

--dick

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I am replacing the same kind of clip on a T1N's Passenger Van's interior side panels below the windows.
The interior side panels are different. There are no slots like the ceiling panels to slot the clips in. The only way to attach the panels is to remove the broken clip, install a blind nut on the receiver hole, and use a screw to fasten the panel.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The interior side panels are different. There are no slots like the ceiling panels to slot the clips in. The only way to attach the panels is to remove the broken clip, install a blind nut on the receiver hole, and use a screw to fasten the panel.
True, a blind nut in the panel may work ... but i think modifying the pin would work, too.

If removed cleanly (with a proper trim tool), the pins remain in the panels' cardboard.

Replacing the panel is simply pressing it back into place.

Here's a shot of my panels (pins still in place)

pin04.jpg

--dick
p.s. this does still leave the question of "how did they do it at the factory?"
I wonder if there's a "hot tool" capable of squeezing/deforming the cardboard's pin-shoulders so they're fit through the hole.

Last edited:

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
So i looked at my still-in-place clips (and tried tugging a bit)
..and at the first photo in this thread (showing how flat the buried "pin" really is)

If it were me... i'd probably take a small electrical diagonal cutter and nip a // slanted slot in that top (to be inserted through the board) disk.

That would give me a "thread" that could then be screwed into the hole (selective "warping" of the "leading edge" of that "thread" would help too.

Once in place, that single missing section should not compromise the strength of the finished assembly.

View attachment 99321

--dick
I cut a small 1/8 of a circle out and threaded it on the panel, and it worked like a champ.

I just came back to read the post again, and was going to update the new development, but you beat me to it...well done. This solves the problem.

notslow

I know this is an old thread, but figured someone may find it looking for the info.
the interior panel fasteners twist or screw into the board. If you twist while pulling they will come out. New ones install the same way.

Here is a picture of one.

Links to buy them :

Attachments

416cdi

04 LWB 416cdi T1N OM612 rust-bucket
For these kind of things, I just go straight to MB, they're not too pricey and no issues with quality.

notslow

At 4.00 piece from the local dealer, that isn't bad if you need a couple, but if you need 20 or 30 like I did it adds up.

Top Bottom