Navigation unit and power inverter installed

sheaa

2nd week ownership of my sprinter, finally got time to finish installing a JVC KWNT3HDT nav unit, and a 1000W pure sine wave inverter. Just wanted to share my experience. Owning small personal vehicles in the past wiring is always a pain in terms of install aftermarket units. The Sprinter have a ton of space in the dash board it was very easy to work on. The toughest part for the whole job was the b-pillar trim and the seat belt height adjuster.

I used the Axxess XSVI-1784-NAV adapter which provided all the leads needed for the nav unit. Here's what I see from this adapter:

- 12v constant, switched and ground leads - works
- Illumination lead - works but does not respond to dimmer changes. There is a seperate dimmer lead but I'm not sure how to hook it up.
- Vehicle speed lead - works
- Reverse gear lead - works
- Handbrake lead - did not use so I don't know.
- power antenna lead - works I guess. I hooked it up just in case.
- Speaker leads - works
- Amplifier turn on lead - did not use

Very easy to use without much issues, even it was for 07-08 Sprinters. I wanted to get the steering wheel adapter too but both Axxess and PAC don't have one for the 2011 Sprinters yet. Now I think about it, should I try the steering wheel interface even the Axxess rep said it won't work?? I installed the rear view camera on the top of the driver side rear door to get a higher view in the back, ended up getting a Pioneer camera instead. I put a Y-adapter for the camera feed so it will supply to both the reverse gear as well as AV-IN so I can use it as a rear view monitor when I drive (grounded the handbrake cable so I can use the nav in motion). Worked like a charm.

The JVC unit is awesome. Fastest starting time (like 16 secs) and the nav response is fast. I looked at Pioneer and Kenwood and they aren't even close (Kenwood's Garmin interface was disappointing). Comes with HD radio and plugs ipod/phone right in with a standard USB cable, no need to pay for another special cable. The only thing was the screen resolution, weren't the best, but does the job. Sound wise it's a bit better than the Sound 5. I want to improve it but it's just too much work to sound proof the van. I put a personal message on the unit to remind me to turn off the inverter, so every time I pull the key out it will say the message. No accidental battery drain now.

While working on the wiring, I hard wire the power supply for the radar detector. I put the GPS sensor on the passenger dashboard, but I wasn't sure if my heated windshield will interfere. Glad to say both navigation GPS and radar GPS works just fine. Also added a clip on wide angle rear view mirror to get a better rear view.

Overall happy with the progress so far. Now I'm waiting for my mobility vendor to put a under vehicle lift and harness anchors in. Then I can take my daughter to places.

Attachments

ben322

Sheaa,

I just spent the better part of Saturday installing the same headunit. The only difference is my Sprinter has the Sound 20 and unknown to me had a different harness. I contacted Axxess and they didn't know if it would work for the Sound 20 harness. I cut off the plug and rewired into a plug that matched but could never get the XSVI-1784-NAV to generate the switched 12V/10A power lead.

I was thinking of tapping the ashtray lighter which is switched after having no luck at the fuse panel. Did you hardwire the radar detector into a switched source? I suppose I could remove the drivers seat and get it there, (worked in our T1N), but I was trying to avoid that.

Ben

ben322

Got it working by using the switched power block under the drivers seat, (I spent way more time not wanting to do it than actually taking the 5-minutes to remove the seat). Of course the steering wheel buttons don't work because the wiring instructions for the Axxess Integration Box are for a different harness, but I'm over it as the JVC has the volume knob which for me is better than the rocker switch. We had a backup camera from Airstream so I didn't need the reverse wire trigger but with an extra camera input I added a lead that I can use for something later on.

Ben

sheaa

I did forget to mentioned that I had the Sound5 unit. I am a bit surprise that the sound 20 would have a different harness. Glad that you can enjoy the unit.

Top Bottom