Rat damage

GHall

Here are some more details on how the sprinter reacted to the wiring damage (there were no codes set for the diesel leak as far as I can tell, it got fixed first):

Indicator lights: ABS, ESP, brake wear, check engine, tire pressure.
Transmission was in 'limp home' (second gear forward and reverse), no cruise control.

After fixing the pressure and temp sensor on the engine, my cheapo OBD2 scanner read: P0070 (ambient air temp sensor) and P0720 (output speed sensor).

The MB scanner report was 3 pages of details, with the following codes listed in the ESP section:
44F0 short/open right rear rpm sensor
44B0 short/open left rear rpm sensor
5106 CAN signal 'Ambient temperature' invalid
7222 CAN message from transmission control module is invalid or implausible
7270 Cruise control- The CAN signal for the wheel speeds of the rear axle from component N30/4 (ESP control unit) is implausible or missing

I'm learning that not all of the codes and events listed are independent. In this case, loss of the speed sensors on the rear wheels was noticed by the ABS module which they are supposed to be connected to. Without the sensors, ABS can't tell the ESP or the transmission over the CAN bus how fast the wheels are turning, so they also cry fault. So 4 rat snipped wires brings down ABS, ESP, cruise control, and the transmission.

Many of the repairs are described in the shop manual disk. For the wheel sensors, start the disk and go to service information/dtc based diagnostics/module ABS/diagnosis&testing/44F0. Having the MB printout and service manual disk made the diagnostic part of this work much quicker.

Cable wiring isn't covered in much detail in the manual, so I worked out the contents of the cable above the fuel tank. A drawing is attached. Keep in mind that under the tape is a bunch of wires. The wires logically divide into sub cables, but there isn't any physical subdivision in the cable itself. The section that the rat chewed up contains 15 wires with not completely unique color code. All of the small wires were cut, and the most of the larger ones for the trailer connector were damaged (another image is attached of the excised fragment of cable).

Attachments

Top Bottom