What did you do to your Sprinter today.

tinman

Replaced the 15 inch fluorescent tubes in a couple of ceiling fixtures with LED strip lighting. Bought a 3 meter strip (locally, Bezos has enough money without mine) 400 lumens/ft., 4 watts/foot. Cut the appropriate lengths, soldered connecting wires, and rewired the fixtures to bypass the ballasts. Fixtures are pop-riveted together so I left everything in place, just cut and spliced the wires as necessary. Strip has 3m self-adhesive, looks strong but will watch for release with heat. Bought mid-range on the colour spectrum, ended up a bit whiter and brighter than tthe fluorescents at about 1/3 the power consumption.

pfflyer

Tested the DEF fluid in the RV and also the new container and then topped both Sprinters off. I didn’t test the DEF in the crew van because it gets used more and it is harder to access the tank with the tester.

Edit: Only drove the RV about 500 miles this year so far. The average has been over 10 times that.

Colorado_Al

Installed a Stowaway2 Swingaway hitch and cargo box.
$300 for the swinging hitch and $80 for the cargo box.

The hitch is super solid and heavy. Very high quality.

Cargo box was $80 at Tractor supply.

IMG_20200911_122319.jpg
IMG_20200911_122331.jpg
IMG_20200911_122446.jpg
IMG_20200911_123858.jpg
IMG_20200911_124235.jpg

skier1950

Al, Looks great, but you need to remount your license plate where it is visible and illuminated. You'll get a ticket or at least stopped if you don't.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
Today I replaced the turbo resonator on my 2006 with an aftermarket aluminum resonator eliminator. I also found and tightened a loose hose clamp on the feed line to my high pressure fuel pump which had been allowing a bit of fuel seepage. I’d seen and smelled evidence of a leak near the pump, but had been unable to properly locate it until it I finally saw pooling.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
I went back to a Doorman and kept the aluminum for a spare...

Todays project was Wipe New headlight job. These are bad but it did make them better, rained on them at about 18 hours even though it calls for 24 hours to cure.
IMG_0944.jpegIMG_0945.jpegIMG_0947.jpegIMG_0948.jpeg

I again had to Dremel rust bubbles on the 2006 and do touch up. A Snow Leopard can change its spots.

I quipped to my wife that maybe it's time to break out the porch and deck enamel again. The 2004 ain't perfect, but at least the rust bubbles stopped after we painted it. I did tell my wife she could pick a color if she wanted. That breaks my heart to offer that option because I still have enough urethane modified alkyd enamel gray paint to do at least one more Sprinter, maybe two. And it ain't water based. Maybe I'll rescind the offer. :hmmm:

:cheers: vic

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Always noticed that our 3 way Dometic 8501 doesn't do too well refrigerating under LP mode (should be level and avoid high heat camping). Always use DC when traveling; AC when plugged into AC; LP when dispersed camping.

It was recommended that one is to add a dual fan in order to disperse the heat generated from the LP stack. Heat traps under the counter where one can also feel the inside cabinet wall in the Van a bit heated from the LP flame.

So added a fan to the upper grille:

Fan speed controlled from inside; either in manual mode or automatic setting.

The fan sucks out hot combustible air form the LP stack while also drawing "in" fresh air through the bottom grille

Then I added this:

Actually it was a piece of China junk but fixed it and is now running well.

Regarding the dual fan...seems to work and does cool the area so much faster. Haven't tried it yet in high heat areas.

Cheers...

Last edited:

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
My van is used flexibly for cargo/passengers/camping, so having lots of options for positioning and connecting things is desirable.

I wired up some Powerwerx panel mount housings for Anderson Powerpole connectors using the Amateur Radio (ARES/RACES) color/polarity/orientation specification for Powerpole connectors. I used 1/4" (male) blade quick disconnects on the wire pairs for each polarity so that I connect them to my wiring harness.
IMG_8126.jpg
Each outlet uses four 30-amp Powerpole terminators in 15/30/45 amp housings used in pairs. Each housing/terminator has a short 14AWG wire segment; the two 14AWG wire segments for a given polarity are crimped together in a 10-12AWG male quick disconnect (2 14AWG wires are effectively 11AWG, so they fit nicely into a 10-12AWG crimp connector). I can plug up to two devices into each outlet.

My van has multiple locations with 1 1/8" holes in the paneling where I can mount 12 VDC, USB, and now Powerpole outlets. The branch circuits to each of these locations terminate in 1/4" (female) quick disconnects so that I can swap out the outlet types from time to time (swapping requires removing a panel, which requires loosening the L-track that holds the panels in place, so it is not a trivial effort, but it isn't that hard, either).
IMG_8125.jpg

I installed two of these Anderson Powerpole outlets midships, so that I can locate my refrigerator on either side of the van, depending on what else is in the van.
IMG_8184.jpg

I made a power cord for the refrigerator that terminates in Anderson Powerpole connectors matching the outlets for polarity/orientation. Now it is easy to move the refrigerator around and plug it in wherever it is located.
IMG_8183.jpg

I also have a removable galley that needs an electrical connection for charging the water pump battery. I will make an similar power cord for it as well to make it easy to install and remove the galley as needed.

DanAzon

Today I installed the galley cabinet with refrigerator freezer and the over galley shelf cabinet.BC11F7EE-04CE-4C36-A1F3-6C9DC2FD9E2D.jpegThanks to Rick Llewelyn of Linden, Ca. for the fantastic fabricating. Simple and functional just as I requested.Resized_20200926_090324.jpegResized_20200926_093005.jpegResized_20200926_090314.jpeg

Garandman

Left Boston today to go pick up a 2 person seat. Got about 50 miles out Mass Pike and going up a hill, power suddenly reduced and I could only hold 60mph. No dash lights.

Pulled into a rest area and plugged in the BlueTooth OBDII reader. Code was P0299 “Turbo underboost.” Turned around and headed home.

Disconnected the hoses on the passenger side and spotted a gap in the turbo resonator.

One of the first spares ordered when I bought the van!

The only finicky part is the two bolts that hold it on: they are E8’s, external star heads. The nuts are captured, so, if, theoretically, you try to remove the nut, you break it loose.

Going to take it for a spin tomorrow but should be all set!

Next is ceramic tint on side and rear glass. The dealer suggested I also do the door glass, but I’m reluctant. Anyone do it?

JCramer

2019 MB Sprinter 3500 Coachmen Galleria
Left Boston today to go pick up a 2 person seat. Got about 50 miles out Mass Pike and going up a hill, power suddenly reduced and I could only hold 60mph. No dash lights.

Pulled into a rest area and plugged in the BlueTooth OBDII reader. Code was P0299 “Turbo underboost.” Turned around and headed home.

Disconnected the hoses on the passenger side and spotted a gap in the turbo resonator.

One of the first spares ordered when I bought the van!

The only finicky part is the two bolts that hold it on: they are E8’s, external star heads. The nuts are captured, so, if, theoretically, you try to remove the nut, you break it loose.

Going to take it for a spin tomorrow but should be all set!

Next is ceramic tint on side and rear glass. The dealer suggested I also do the door glass, but I’m reluctant. Anyone do it?
I am driving a 2018 3500 Coachmen Galleria. Glass everywhere. I had ceramic tint put on the windshield, driver and passenger door, the large window on the sliding door, and the two rear windows. My reasoning is that I keep the blinds down on the other windows pretty much 100% of the time unless we have 2 back seat passengers. We noticed that the two rear windows, for whatever reason, seem to transfer a LOT of heat. It was another $600 to do all the windows and we just did not feel the need.
The good news. I just drove mine 5,300 miles through TN, AR, OK(oklahoma was a frying pan) TX, NM, CO, WY, SD, IA, IL, KY in the middle of August. Sitting in the front seats in full sun, you did not feel the heat on your skin, the front stayed very cool...the ceramic tint was a lifesaver. I literally don't think we could have enjoyed that trip without it.
The other best part, if you stopped for a few hours, you did not have to pull out the heavy sun shades and mess with them. The tint worked better than expected.
Good luck. To me, some of the best money spent on upgrades.

denisec

2005 Sprinter 2500 Hi-Top 158, 300K+mi
Last week I used mending braces to bolt 3/4" plywood into wall recesses, and I'm very happy I did! Today I cut and installed paneling using eyebolts in PlusNuts. Or, I should say, reinstalled -- the thin utility plywood splinters really easily, so I've been experimenting with different ways to drill it cleanly. I'm using countersunk finishing cup washers behind the bolts for a cleaner look.

Top Bottom