What did you do to your Sprinter today.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
@Rocksnsalt, Cherokee Wood in Upland also says they have 5x5:
Thanks Barry,
I’d rather have 4x8 to work with but it just may not be available In 1/8. Just started looking, and going to ask a friend that’s a high end cabinet maker if he knows where to get 1/8 in 4x8’s.
If no payoff from the search I’ll either go with the 5x5’s or just go with 1/4”.
Thanks again ??

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Thanks Barry,
I’d rather have 4x8 to work with but it just may not be available In 1/8. Just started looking, and going to ask a friend that’s a high end cabinet maker if he knows where to get 1/8 in 4x8’s.
If no payoff from the search I’ll either go with the 5x5’s or just go with 1/4”.
Thanks again ??
Checkout Home Depot in your area. I was able to get 1/8” in 4’x8’ sheets from local HD in Baltimore. But I did have to hunt for it in the store as it was buried away on top rack. Fortunately I was working with a very helpful store employee who helped me find it since it was in their computer inventory - just with wrong location.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Checkout Home Depot in your area. I was able to get 1/8” in 4’x8’ sheets from local HD in Baltimore. But I did have to hunt for it in the store as it was buried away on top rack. Fortunately I was working with a very helpful store employee who helped me find it since it was in their computer inventory - just with wrong location.
1/8th Baltic Birch?

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Thanks Barry,
Thanks again ??
Please let me know if you find 4x8's.

otisdog7

There is another product called Luan....Philippine mahogany, 3/16' thick. The nice thing is you can get it in 4x10 sheets. Commonly used it set building, available primed and raw, certain socal lumber yards stock it.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
There is another product called Luan....Philippine mahogany, 3/16' thick. The nice thing is you can get it in 4x10 sheets.
Hi, how resistant to warping (with humidity or temperature changes) would that be, compared to 1/4" BB or other 1/4" hardwood ply?

Is Killz primer and semi-gloss paint enough to keep moisture out?

I'm thinking of simulating shiplap with 5-7" planks of thin plywood.

Thanks

Got her stuck on an extremely mild grade in wet grass! Fun learning her limitations...
Same happened to me recently on a sand/gravel road in Michigan. We were just backing out from being parked on an incline in close quarters. When lightly loaded the Sprinters are just so light in the rear end. It's a lesson I need to relearn once in a while. I wonder if the flexy body helps to make it even worse? I did get out with just a couple maneuvers though.

vic

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
ASR makes it possible to pull away and accelerate on a
slippery surface. A spinning wheel is braked and its
tractive power is transferred to the wheel with full
grip.

When driving in deep snow, or on sand or gravel, it
can be beneficial to deactivate the
acceleration skid control (ASR).
The engine’s torque is then no longer
limited and the drive wheels are free
to spin, which can help them cut into
loose surfaces.

To deactivate the ASR:
• Press the upper section of the switch – the warning
lamp in the speedometer lights up.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Same happened to me recently on a sand/gravel road in Michigan. We were just backing out from being parked on an incline in close quarters. When lightly loaded the Sprinters are just so light in the rear end. It's a lesson I need to relearn once in a while. I wonder if the flexy body helps to make it even worse? I did get out with just a couple maneuvers though.

vic
flex-ability helps in low traction condition. Because of the box design A van isn’t considered a flexible vehicle . You may hear your box van stressed in its effort to resist flexing.

1 bottom line, flexibility with wheel articulating helps with traction !

Last edited:

... Because of the box design A van isn’t considered a flexible vehicle .
It may not be considered a flexible vehicle, but my experience shows that it is. Where I once parked for work there was a drain grate that was dished down below grade compared to the surrounding pavement. Whenever I parked in that spot with my front wheel in the drain the back doors would bind. Sometimes they would bind to the point of not being able to reclose them. Occasionally they would bind to the point of not even being able to open the back doors.

... You may hear your box van stressed in its effort to resist flexing.
It doesn't resist flexing very well if a front wheel being in a lowered position causes the rear doors to bind.

vic

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
78114D27-6E1A-495E-879E-EC83593D7E74.jpegE37903B8-549C-456F-916D-FC62405BD8A9.jpegFinally had the ability to take Falcor on a real trip with a friend on a fly fishing trip and 75% of phase 1 complete. It has been a long time coming! Happy to finally have something resembling a camper and usable. Still a lot of work to go but motivated to get 100% of phase 1 completed by the new year.

I thought my 110v space heater would possibly get me through the winter without my large hydronic plumbing project on the horizon but the space heater just takes too much power (I thought my 580ah LFP bank would get the job done but not for a continuous 1300 watt draw) not to mention it just doesn’t put out anywhere close to the same amount of heat as a diesel fired heater. So that project will be reprioritized and hopefully completed by 1/1 or DDP, whichever occurs first.

oh.. 330watts of my 990 watt solar array is gone.. storm dropped something on one of the panels and broke it. That will be fun to replace.. luckily I didn’t have any issues recharging with the alternator pushing 150 amps in the bank right up to 98% capacity.

I must say the sprinter 4x4 capabilities are a bit better than I imagined. The way the power transfer works when multiple wheels lose a bit of traction is impressive. For an AWD van, I’ll take it!

Top Bottom