What did you do to your Sprinter today.

TorqueMonster72

Red Forman is my hero dumbass
Wow 1120ah thats a lot of power. Are your batteries mounted under the floor? Spare tire location?
under the floor between the pumpkin and the spare. I decided how much space between the floor rib running port-starboard, and the spare hangers.
then found a source for the "biggest" capacity 3V cells, and then built up the system. I built my own box, with frame using aluminum right angle and riv nuts.

I also placed sound reduction mat with foil in the whole box, and soft bottom. Still need to build up the cover and the flooring, but....

batterylocation.JPGunderstide.JPG

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Very nice.

how did you treat the floor over the sound deadened?

Fyi, my kinda work there. No corners cut….

Im no good at compromise..
I counted 5 corners… ?
I would use an angle grinder with metal cutting blade. Easy and no binding or bucking like a recip jig or sawzall is prone to.
Just be sure to make accommodations for neutralizing the possibility of any sparks igniting anything.

TorqueMonster72

I counted 5 corners… ?
I would use an angle grinder with metal cutting blade. Easy and no binding or bucking like a recip jig or sawzall is prone to.
Just be sure to make accommodations for neutralizing the possibility of any sparks igniting anything.
Used the Diablo Steel cutting on the 7 1/4" skillsaw. jigsaw = amateur :whistle:
and which 5 corners do you speak of?
Diablo.JPG
how did you treat the floor over the sound deadened?
I used Dri-core and adhered to the floor using PL Premium. I also painted the floor with Eastwood Rust converting paint before I put the deadener down. I liked the idea of Dri-core as it is meant for basements, with insulation and OSB and size. easily cut and installed. I have it in our basement as a subfloor with no issues the last 10 years.
dricore.JPG

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Used the Diablo Steel cutting on the 7 1/4" skillsaw. jigsaw = amateur :whistle:
and which 5 corners do you speak of?
View attachment 196282

I used Dri-core and adhered to the floor using PL Premium. I also painted the floor with Eastwood Rust converting paint before I put the deadener down. I liked the idea of Dri-core as it is meant for basements, with insulation and OSB and size. easily cut and installed. I have it in our basement as a subfloor with no issues the last 10 years.
View attachment 196283
Actually I counted 6 corners. Or is the top left area just insulation?

Attachments

grinnelljd

Had a pretty productive 3 days with the van this week so far.

Monday - cleaned the EGR valve after 65k miles to eliminate the lurching I’d get around 1800RPMs.

Tuesday - drove the van on a nearly 400 mile trip through Vermont to see some Fall colors and test whether my EGR cleaning fixed the lurching issue (it did).

Wednesday - adjusted the slider door to tighten it up and eliminate a rattle in the door (not fully tested yet). Hardest part was finding a way to hold the door height after loosening the mounting bolts. I had some old boards from a cut up pallet and some paint sticks that let me shim the door to the correct height.

2B585F4D-F6E1-405D-B0E3-1075CAA5714E.jpegD0465103-8E54-46FB-A237-BC9525441536.jpegE9FFE208-8649-46E0-AFBB-D9DF18E8961A.jpeg83CFB315-3BB0-4185-BFFF-61CA7E205491.jpeg

Last edited:

Mrshakedown

Where was the picture. Was north last weekend. Colors like that only at elevation and north.

Had a pretty productive 3 days with the van this week so far.

Monday - cleaned the EGR valve after 65k miles to eliminate the lurching I’d get around 1800RPMs.

Tuesday - drove the van on a nearly 400 trip through Vermont to see some Fall colors and test whether my EGR cleaning fixed the lurching issue (it did).

Wednesday - adjusted the slider door to tighten it up and eliminate a rattle in the door (not fully tested yet). Hardest part was finding a way to hold the door height after loosening the mounting bolts. I had some old boards from a cut up pallet and some paint sticks that let me shim the door to the correct height.

View attachment 196332View attachment 196333View attachment 196334View attachment 196335

grinnelljd

Where was the picture. Was north last weekend. Colors like that only at elevation and north.
This was along Forest Road 71 near Sheap Meadow, not very far North of VT9. We had driven up VT100 before we crossed over the mountains via VT73, and then we drove down VT7 before jumping off the pavement and zipping down FR71. We found that the colors up north were a bit past peak in many places already.

Mrshakedown

Good to know. Was torn between heading back up there or to Maine cost next week.

Odd as last weekend I was up and found from say Cornwall and into Middlebury and the surrounding mountains things were not quite popping. We did notice a big change from friday when we arrived to Sunday when we left so maybe things are happening quick?

Have had the Maine coast plans for a couple months now so I think I’ll stick to them. I’m Sure the leaves won’t be peak I’m Maine yet but who knows. Will be nice regardless.

You got a real treat..

This was along Forest Road 71 near Sheap Meadow, not very far North of VT9. We had driven up VT100 before we crossed over the mountains via VT73, and then we drove down VT7 before jumping off the pavement and zipping down FR71. We found that the colors up north were a bit past peak in many places already.

grinnelljd

Good to know. Was torn between heading back up there or to Maine cost next week.

Have had the Maine coast plans for a couple months now so I think I’ll stick to them. I. Sure the leaves won’t be peak but who knows. Will be nice regardless.

You got a real treat..
Yes, the colors along that section were very vibrant. It was helped by the fact that it was overcast and nearing sunset so the colors were popping. I almost stopped again on my way out and put the drone up by the reservoir above the dam on the Deerfield River. The colors there were crazy.

Best wishes on finding some good fall color on your Maine trip.

3Play

RE Floor Box....

Floor boxes are great, I put the Gyll5100AH Lifepo, growatt 3000 inv/chgr and a 12v 2kw inv. in mine and there is room for more.
The box is insulated with 1" P.E. foam and force vented with 2 fans to keep the batts cool, or warm...
Next, I want a 30" x 12" x 12" box in the floor right in front of the slider for the tool box....

Attachments

jjmcclure

2020 HR 144 4x4
This is on my short list. Gotta source the sticker of the appropriate size.

Plan is to them turn up a blank on the lathe. Apply the sticker then build of many coats of IV resistant epoxy.

I’m jealous as hell of this.
I admire your skills. I bought this from maxvandesigns on etsy. He also sells blanks if you run out of time. Post your creation!

TorqueMonster72

Floor boxes are great, I put the Gyll5100AH Lifepo, growatt 3000 inv/chgr and a 12v 2kw inv. in mine and there is room for more.
The box is insulated with 1" P.E. foam and force vented with 2 fans to keep the batts cool, or warm...
Next, I want a 30" x 12" x 12" box in the floor right in front of the slider for the tool box....
that set up looks really cool! which area in the van is this?
really nice install and major props!
also is that power box - is this.... like all in one or? do you have a manufacturer and part number?

GLJones

I just got a laser engraver. I think it would do a great job of making such a medallion that would be 100% weatherproof. Willing to try it if you send me the insert. It won't cut metal, but it removes the coating/paint layer in high resolution.

3Play

that set up looks really cool! which area in the van is this?
really nice install and major props!
also is that power box - is this.... like all in one or? do you have a manufacturer and part number?
I'm in Tucson, the Growatt 48v charger inverter is an all in one unit. I used it primarily because of size and weight. (27lbs.)
It's ok, but the programming is vague and it can't charge from the AC side and the DC side at the same time, so I am having to use upconverters to use the big alternator as a second string of panels in parallel with the actual panels to charge from the alternator.
A separate charge controller like the outback FM80 would be better, but takes up too much room and weighs about 15lbs.
Here is a pic of the gear that got stuffed in the box. The 2kw 12v inverter is to act as the "grid" for charging when there is no solar.
It works, but the upconverters will be better.

Attachments

Top Bottom