What did you do to your Sprinter today.

ump86

Fresh off the dealer emissions retrofit, I placed my new wheel well fresh water tank to check fit, took measurements for ordering grey water tank, and delivered it to the detail shop to remove decal residue from former owner while giving it a pro wax.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Do not take your sprinter to any Mercedes dealership yet ,it’s too early, the new software has more problem than the old one! Took my Sprinter in for recall fix and got it back with 2 problems- water in fuel light and noticeable “skipping between 1st and 2nd gear”. Immediately brought it back to the dealership which said it was a Mercedes software problem. One week later, apparently Mercedes is working on new software to fix this updated software?
And what year is your Sorinter?

Hellshalfacre

2005, 2500
Tire rotation and new front struts/mounts. Minor wheel bearing adjustment and greased caliper pins to get rid of a nasty passenger side front rattle.
Original struts were pretty well shot. I could extend with two fingers and they would slowly compress with just gravity. The ride is significantly improved. Went with KYB. We'll see how long they last...

3Play

I got my new 3KW inverter charger with the Gyll 5KWH LifePo battery system up and running and put the van back in order.
The install moved everything but the solar panels to a large insulated/ventilated box where the spare tire use to live.
The whole system with box weighs about 180lbs.
The microwave and espresso machine are back in place, so all is right in the world....
The real test will be to see if I can make espresso with the AC on....
I will do a write up on the project in the RV section. It was time consuming, but not terribly expensive...

Attachments

Sprinterair

Still looking for place ( or room) for my T1N 6" mid range speakers but not a friend on the front doors.
Replace 4" OEM speakers on dash to 4" Kove audio higher end speakers but a lack of mid range..

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Didn’t really do anything TO my sprinter, but for use in the sprinter.
Made a passive solar water heater today.

I used this extremely hi tech system a few years back in my Westafaiias.

A plastic Sparkletts water bottle spray painted flat black. Laugh if you want, it's easy, almost free, environmentally friendly, and works as long as you have sun.

My typical use was to rinse off the salt water after a quick lunchtime surf session. I would put the 90% full 1 gal jug on the dash while parked facing the sun. It’d heat up fine. Take it down for the 10 min drive to the surf spot, back on the dash it went when I parked, windows up (carefull not to spill any water on your sprinter dash!). It’s Just enough for a quick warm water rinse. In winter I would fill it with hot water at home or work and wrap it with a towel or wetsuit for a bit of insulation. Anyway it worked then and will work now for quick rinses after surf, beach, mountain biking, hikes etc, or when camping in sunny locations. If heating it up outside choose a sunny location shielded from wind, and laying at an angle toward the sun helps too.
I always fill to about 90% to leave room for expansion on hot days. Note smaller or narrower bottles heat quicker due to less mass.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hellshalfacre

2005, 2500
Replaced my rear door striker pin since the old one was gouged pretty good, and lubed the lock mech while it was out. If you do this...be sure to grab the upper locking bar with a pair of soft jaw vicegrips so it doesn't drop into the door. If you DON'T grab the upper bar, and it DOES drop into the door because you suffer from the same form of hyper-zealouness that I do, the bar will come out through the door lock cavity once removed. Trying to push it back up through it's bore is an exercise in futility that I engaged in for a truly embarrassing amount of time. The door closes with a very satifying 'thunk' now.

Stev_H

Installed a new fresh water tank with nice shiny copper pick up pipework as sick and tired of the chemical flavoured water due to food grade plastic pipes. Also said goodbye to the pesky leaks and dribbles from the plastic fittings and hose tails

Lagom

Panic in Detroit
Washed off the grime from a 7,000 mile road trip.
Pleased with my new inverter powering the microwave and coffeemaker, and my new homemade covers for the big side windows I made from Reflectix and magnet tape.
Disappointed in the condition of California's freeways. Twitching the wheel back and forth to avoid the worst of the missing ends of the concrete panels was exhausting.
I spent many nights in freeway rest stops without any problem, even in South Dakota where the law banning overnight stays was posted. I had lots of company, and in my last stop in Missoula, MT I grabbed one of just a few spaces left at sundown.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Washed off the grime from a 7,000 mile road trip.
Pleased with my new inverter powering the microwave and coffeemaker, and my new homemade covers for the big side windows I made from Reflectix and magnet tape.
Disappointed in the condition of California's freeways. Twitching the wheel back and forth to avoid the worst of the missing ends of the concrete panels was exhausting.
I spent many nights in freeway rest stops without any problem, even in South Dakota where the law banning overnight stays was posted. I had lots of company, and in my last stop in Missoula, MT I grabbed one of just a few spaces left at sundown.
If the law bothers you when sleeping overnight just start coughing like crazy, and tell them you've had a dry cough a couple days, diarrhea and fever with chills and ask if they know where you can get a covid test quick.

Btw reflectix is a conductor if touching metal or glass. It needs an isolated airspace to work, like a wood frame/box.
And yeah CA highways are beat up af.

Lagom

Panic in Detroit
btw reflectix is a conductor if touching metal or glass
The Reflectix ended up bulging out from the glass a little. Not intentionally—it just ended up that way due to the way the magnetic tape settles in on the window frames. They worked well to control heat gain. I have no heat so I was a little chilly when it got down to 25 or so in SD. My wall insulation was less effective than I had hoped.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Finally started insulating the lower half of my 2019 144 Passenger 4x4.
Did the ceiling and upper half in early 2020.
Went with Siless sound/temp barrier this time instead of Kilmat. A few $ less per box. Looks like same product with no label on the foil. It also comes in much larger sheets than kilmat, just cut to size. Like before, I’m covering every sq mm I can. And even the mm’s that aren’t square.

Anyway I forgot what a pita it is getting this stuff in every nook and cranny for maximum effectiveness. Rolling it out is a pain as well. But it’s worth it imho.
Will finish with thinsulate as before. Doing the top half of the van made a huge difference, so I'm sure this will make an equally significant contribution to noise reduction and heat gain or loss depending on the season. I’ve done a bit of camping in temps 34-45F without a heater. ? Frosty!
This should make cold camping a bit more comfortable.
I’ll get to insulating the floor sometime soon.
The last pic shows the MB version of soundproofing. Oh well, better than nothing I suppose. Ohh Wait...
MB slogan: “Das Beste oder nichts”. “The best or nothing”.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom