What did you do to your Sprinter today.

Today I removed my #2 hopelessly stuck in a cold engine injector, installed the #1 & #2 positon rebuilt units, re-connected #3, 4, 5 and took a warm up trip with the dog. He was happy.

#5, 4, 3 are now out. Just left with the old copper seals removal for tomorrow and then clean-up and re-install.

Removed injectors... and then some beer... I am happy now too. :drink::cheers: :thumbup: vic

brassarl

2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall
Today I learned to appreciate my Sprinter for what it is!:clapping:

Friday the 13th will be a memorable day for my Sprinter ownership. I was invited to the “Sprinter on Tour” presentation in Calgary, an experience that ranks with my F18 flight simulator experience in 1991.

Our session had approximately 30 attendees. My first module was the Adaptive ESP. Most have you have seen the Utube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Arm_nJnck
where the 2500 Sprinter is on two wheels. Well the 2500 is loaded with barrels of water weighing 1540 lbs (3/4 ton) mounted very close to the ceiling, along with a heavy steel framed structure to hold the barrels as well the anchor plates along the roof for the tricycle frame outriggers. Three passengers and a driver, approx. 800# on each run.

Lucky me, in the front passenger seat equipped with an Oh Sh** handle. The professional driver turns OFF the Adaptive ESP, he accelerates to 35kph and maneuvers around the barriers and the van violently yaws and rolls and we make it. Hold on it gets better. The driver says the wheels had not come off the ground, lets do it again. This time the accelerates to 50kph, this time I use the O/S handle, but the three point seat belt hold me in the seat very well. The wheels raise off the ground about 16 inches, off course the outrigger on the opposite side grinds the pavement but prevents it from rolling, whew!

Now, the driver turn ON the Adaptive ESP, and we now accelerate to 65kph and maneuvers the obstacle with some yawing and roll along with substantial G force, but I don’t latch on to the safety handle. The van felt in control and stable at all times. My conclusion, ESP works!

The hands-on driving was equally fun and challenging. First the correct seating position, arms at an almost 90 degree angle at the elbow. Feet position, left on the ledge under the hood latch for stability during any emergency maneuvering. Hands at 9 and 3 O’clock and that allows for 180 deg rotation with both hands on the wheel at all times.

We also had a Ford E350 van to do the same driving on the course, very different when you climb from a Sprinter to the Ford on the same course. My evaluation, the Ford van was very much the same as my GMC Vandura ¾ ton Class 4 motorhome that I drove up to 3 weeks ago when I got my Sprinter LTV. The Sprinter drives and handles like a car, the other drives and handles as a truck, an old truck, mine was a 1989.

The newer cab has some cool shelves above the sunvisors, I will try and find some after markets for my 2006 LTV. I prefer the larger convex mirrors on mine. Personally I did not notice much difference between the 2.7L and the V6 Diesels, considering mine is pretty much at full load all of the time.

Their research shows; drive at 100KPH versus 120KPH saves up to 15% fuel (60 vs 70 MPH)
Smooth instead of jerky acceleration saves up to 20%
For every 100# you remove, save 1%
At highway speeds, tuning on the A/C save fuel, instead of having window open, wind drag.

Attachments

Last edited:

brassarl

2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall
Today I removed my #2 hopelessly stuck in a cold engine injector, installed the #1 & #2 positon rebuilt units, re-connected #3, 4, 5 and took a warm up trip with the dog. He was happy.

#5, 4, 3 are now out. Just left with the old copper seals removal for tomorrow and then clean-up and re-install.

Removed injectors... and then some beer... I am happy now too. :drink::cheers: :thumbup: vic
Thanks Vic. You explain things very well in your post!:bow:

Mine has 34K and I will remove the glowplugs coat them with antiseize and re-install (providing all is well).

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I rinsed off a bunch of dirt from Yakima and Kittitas counties this morning before making it into the office.

This evening, I'll rinse off the seagull droppings that landed on the passenger front wheel well and fender about 5 hours after I rinsed the dirt off.

I hope I still have paint left when I get out of the office.

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03
Pulled in some #4 cable to tie the house battery bank to engine battery. And visited with 1hen1duck.

Dan

byronrbeck

just ordered a blue sky charge controller for my solar system and waiting to install so i can charge my inverter battery off grid.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Just finished installing a Boss 8" powered sub-woofer under the drivers seat above the rotator mechanism, wired to the rear speaker port on the Sound 30 to give some low end to the nice JVC 4" speakers in the dash. Paid $70 on ebay and it fits like it was made for the space! It's the last generation, but people claim the new one goes into protect mode all the time.

-Randy

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
I actually got to drive mine, that makes 2 kms in the last week :frown:

[Big trip next week though :thumbup:]

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I washed off the fecal splat and drove home. My transmission spun up and went thunk before starting to move forward twice. No fluid on the parking surface at work or in the driveway.
I'm not worried. It probably thinks that I took it for a couple hundred mile drive on Sunday and I should do it again because it felt nice.

Screw that.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I washed off the fecal splat and drove home. My transmission spun up and went thunk before starting to move forward twice. No fluid on the parking surface at work or in the driveway.
I'm not worried. It probably thinks that I took it for a couple hundred mile drive on Sunday and I should do it again because it felt nice.

Screw that.
Care to expand on which species of fecal matter? :popcorn:

Oh... Jon... drive your van more often and for longer distances... care for some Sushi?

Therberg

I actually finished the brake job last Thursday and finally getting around to posting. I hope I have better luck with these Brazilian made rotors than the POS rotors I used last time from AutoZone, they completely rusted almost solid and ruined a set of Performance Friction carbon metallic pads.:thumbdown:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

Screw that.
Man you got them Blues, you need a good woman to wash away your Blues, and wash them Valhalla Blues away. "Boom Boom":lol:
My van is clean so I have nothing to do.
Richard

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
Spent most of the morning ringing locksmiths to see who can clone a Mercedes key.
Most offer the service for a wide range of brands but for some reason, Mercedes keys seem to be a problem.
Just got a reply back from one large locksmith group who can cut and clone the key for $165. Seeing I was quoted $60 - $70 for Ford or Japanese cars, seems a bit high. Note: this is cloning, not ECU programming.

Still a spare key would be comforting.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I had the same problem, could not find a local locksmith to do the job. At SprinterFest West I asked them about keys and the key maker they sent me to (in Oregon, south of Portland) made me two keys for the door, for less than $4 each (a spare for me and the wife), and a key that is cloned to start the RV, but not able to remotely open the door, for less than $40. Actually I think I spent less than $40 for all, so I am now flush in keys for the Sprinter.

-Randy

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Tinted the windows all the way around (I have to update my photo).
Man, it's HARD to apply tint yourself, especially in those LOOOOOOOOONG side windows. I don't think I got all the bubbles or creases out. :yell: I used copius amounts of fluid with a misting spray bottle and I used a squeegee to smooth it all out, and a razor to trim the corners, but all in all, it's still very difficult.
I find that I'm more of an mechanical guy than bodywork/finish guy. I would much rather get a motor running than make the van look perfect. But I still enjoy having a nice looking van.

blondie

Did 40000 km service. with new oliefilter-airfilter-fuelfilter and new olie 10,5 L and reset the service computer to the next 40000 km. :)

Next work to do.

change brakepads on the rear wheels this comming weekend

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Care to expand on which species of fecal matter? :popcorn:

Oh... Jon... drive your van more often and for longer distances... care for some Sushi?
It was seagull splat. As for sushi, I'm not even fond of cooked fish.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Installed Koni Reds in the back. Boy what a difference. Gone is the bouncy bouncy bouncy and the tendency of the rear end to wash out and get squirrely on me when going over bumps or on curves. The old shocks were totally shot. They weren't regulating the leafsprings' reaction to the bumps and my tires were loosing contact with the ground at times. Around bumpy corners, this would make the rear end feel like I was fishtailing around the corner. It would only happen on certain bumpy, windy roads, so I avoided them. Took them today with the new shocks and the van stuck to the road perfectly. :clapping:
I also added a 17" panoramic rear-view mirror. Again, what a difference. I can honestly see out every window in my Sprinter with that mirror. The reflection starts at the middle of the driver's windows and gives me full view of all the others. I can also see all my kids in the back, too. I even caught one of them reaching over the seat in front to pull his brother's hair! He got mad that I could see him and this is what I did: :tongue: :lol:
Here's the link to the mirror I bought:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wraparound-panoramic-wide-angle-mirrors/p2008409.jcwx?filterid=j1
I highly recommend it.
I also picked this up at a yard sale today... for one dollar! Brand new, in the box:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/animal-house-electric-horn-and-pa-system/p2016609.jcwx?filterid=j1
My wife hates it and my kids love it. Can't wait to get it installed. :bounce:

Top Bottom