Places to eat along I40 & I10

sikwan

06 Tin Can
So the van is coming to completion (painting this weekend) hopefully and our summer road trip is coming up. It'll be hot in the south, but what can you do when vacation is limited.

We'll be traveling to Florida (Disney World), heading east on I40 and and coming back on I10.

What I want to eat in particular:

• Alligator
  • Some rat like animal in the South (Coypu? Saw it on an episode of Bizarre Eats)
  • frog legs (i know what they taste like, but if someone can cook something good, I'll try it!)
  • Anything that is strange that will not kill me. :smilewink:

What I don't mind eating:

• Pork ribs, beef ribs, chicken, etc.
  • Good normal people food

Where would I like to eat it:

• Not too far off of I40 or I10
  • Hole in the wall is ok, as long as I don't get beat up 'cause I look funny. :smirk:
  • I want to avoid chain restaurants if I can help it.

Any help / recommendation is appreciated it! :bow: My wife is internet searching for these places, so I thought I'd ask the Sprinter Forum for help, since you folks are more experienced. :smirk:

We leave Memorial Day weekend (early morning to avoid traffic hopefully) for 3 weeks on the road with a wife a two kids. Wish me luck!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Crocodile tastes like chicken if done right, can't help you as to Living in the land down under.but enjoy your trip seek and post some unusual pics outside of the tourist strip
Frog legs.:popcorn:
Richard

cahaak

Can't help you on the eats, but I can tell you the cheapest places to stop for Diesel and a few sights to see, at least up to Tucumcari. I've driven that stretch four times now this spring from Needles to Tucumcari. To be honest, a lot of that stretch is just drive fast and get it out of the way.

Chris

230321a

Planning a Sprinter trip to VA next week. Had entended to take the same route you posted until I looked at the weather map. Changed from I-40 east to I-10 east.
Good luck.
mel

sikwan

06 Tin Can
To be honest, a lot of that stretch is just drive fast and get it out of the way.
That seems to be what is going to happen.

As above;
Whopper Juniors until you get to.....
Mississippi.:cheers:
:smirk:

Had entended to take the same route you posted until I looked at the weather map. Changed from I-40 east to I-10 east.l
Yeah, we're monitoring the weather and the affected areas. We're hoping a month will be enough time for safe traveling on I40.

AddicksAir

Adobe Cafe, Deming NM. Stopped there last October on the way to AZ. A order of Baby Back ribs will feed a family of 5.
And/Or
Just West of Houston, MP 745, PBJ. Look for the red bread truck. Priceless.

Trekker

Trekker
Haven't been to the Adobe Cafe, but a neighbor has and says it's great. Also, Google "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" to see if any are along your route. We always try to stop in one of those places while on the road, and have never been disappointed. They are always quirky, but great with unique food.

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
Sprinter trip log;

I coasted into Virginia Beach Virginia after four and a half beautiful days of nearly effortless dry driving across from California on I40.
There were some cloudy days and some rain during one night (i was sleeping) and some wet slop from the wet roads but no direct rain on my parade.

Now here in V.B. we're having sporadic passing rain cells most of the days and everyone in my family watches and laughs at the two Fantastic Fan hatches opening and closing as the weather changes from hot with rain to hot with no rain. It's very cute.

Seek, I think the rodent you want to devour is "Nutria", Myocaster coypus. http://www.nutria.com/site.php

Considered a pest, I think, but tasty nonetheless when cooked right.

Catfish restaurants are a big thing in the deep south too. If any are left after these storms, You should try one; be sure to have " hushpuppies and "sweet-tea" too.

Crawdads in Louisiana ! Yes. They are great.

Be Well everybody,
Mike

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Totally forgot about the catfish and crawdads. :hmmm: I'll investigate the "hushpuppies and "sweet-tea" whatever they are.

larry8061

There is a book: "500 places to eat before its too late" their recoomendations are VERY good.

Also if you have a smartphone there are several apps for such food finding.

I'd SERIOUSLY give up on not travelling too far from the interstate....... you'll miss out on too much.

Larry

P.S. After Wednesday's weather hope they are still there!

larry8061

Yeh hushpuppies and sweat tea............ you'll never know how you lived without them! LOL!!

Go thru Memphis and not eat BBQ? Pulease...... Cozy Corner BBQ! ALL of the BBQ is GREAT and it IS the best in Memphis but that was the best by far Beef Brisket I've ever eaten and I've eaten BBQ across the entire U.S. (Dio NOT eat at the more famous Rendezvous - its all hype and trouists - they brag that they cook the ribs for 14 hours... yes they do and they taste like they've been cooked that long too - WAY dry.)

Its a daylight stop - not a in the dark time stop. The resturaunt folk are VERY friendly and in the day time we felt safe.

I can't imagine how much great food you could find along I-10........

Larry

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I'd SERIOUSLY give up on not travelling too far from the interstate....... you'll miss out on too much.
Agreed. We only have 3 weeks, so we thought driving fast heading east on the 40 and taking our time on the 10 coming back.

AddicksAir

I-10 on the west side of Henderson Swamp. Louisana If your west bound it will be the first exit after the long bridge over the swamp. There's a shack with all sorts of Cajun treats. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Top Bottom