Is it possible to tune the suspension of a 2 wheel drive T1N for off road use?

lzcamper

I just returned from a two week trip camp trip where I took my ’06 158” T1N on its first “real” off the road desert driving experience. I had a great time, but also wondered if it’s possible to tune a Sprinter to have a ride and traction similar to my former camping vehicle, a Toyota TRD 2 wheel drive Tundra. The TRD suspension package has the shocks, wheels, tires and skid plate like the 4 wheel drive model. It gives the vehicle higher clearance, better traction and a smooth tuned ride on sandy, bumpy, rocky dirt roads. Is it possible to set up a 2 wheel drive T1N Sprinter in this fashion. I do not intend to drive it on 4 wheel drive roads, but would like a little higher clearance, more traction and a smoother ride when camping off the beaten track.

Rick

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Changing OEM shocks to Konis allows you to adjust suspension rebound.
Just search 'Koni installation' to read more.

lzcamper

Last fall, Upscale Auto installed Koni shocks and a heavier duty stabilizer bar on the rear and I'm saving up for front struts. Do you think that larger tires would help? My T1N has the original 225R16 tires. It was a passenger van, so I think that the rear springs may be different than the cargo van, but I don't know their relative stiffness.

Rick

I just returned from a two week trip camp trip where I took my ’06 158” T1N on its first “real” off the road desert driving experience. I had a great time, but also wondered if it’s possible to tune a Sprinter to have a ride and traction similar to my former camping vehicle, a Toyota TRD 2 wheel drive Tundra. The TRD suspension package has the shocks, wheels, tires and skid plate like the 4 wheel drive model. It gives the vehicle higher clearance, better traction and a smooth tuned ride on sandy, bumpy, rocky dirt roads. Is it possible to set up a 2 wheel drive T1N Sprinter in this fashion. I do not intend to drive it on 4 wheel drive roads, but would like a little higher clearance, more traction and a smoother ride when camping off the beaten track.

Rick
You and me have the same year and model and want the same capabilities. I have my doubts about shocks and don't want to end up riding on my bump stops. Hydraulic bump stops would be nice if they existed for our sprinters. I have upgraded the rear sway bar to 1 1/8 thick[ Helwig] and just installed Roadmasters active suspension so don't know yet what difference it will make but I resisted rear air bags because they don.t mount directly over the axle and anywhere else on the single rear spring is just wrong. I hope we can find answers to our common needs and hope you will keep me informed if you learn anything new that might advance our capabilities in off pavement situations while helping on road stability. Thanks .

DKB2GO

A Sprinter in my future

Rick
Take a look at the build thread of Mike's T1N (MHISCOX). I've contacted him several times regarding the bad road/off road capabilities of his rig. He's a wealth of knowledge.

d_bertko

Methinks you have difficult aspirations for your 158". My 02 158" has a long enough rear overhang that really limits the angle-of-attack. And of course a long wheelbase is such an anti-Jeep on any rough trail.

I'd think you could buy (and carry) a 250cc dirt bike for the price of improvements that won't alter the fundamental fact that you've got a long vehicle.

I've gone at least a 1000 miles down so-so to poor dirt roads in my 158". Just can't go everywhere. But we boondock a substantial portion of the time. Much of that camping is how we like it---without another soul in sight.

Get a 4wd toad?

Eric Experience

Rick.
Yes you can improve the ride. I have done a lot of experimenting with sprinter rear suspension because my vehicles are used of road. Dont bother with air suspension it is not practical on the sprinter. My recomendation is to establish the weight on the rear axle when you have your camping gear loaded, then get a spring designed for that load from the standard options. IE the 1ton 2 ton or 3ton vans. remove your rear sway bar completely. run your tyres at a pressure that allows them to flex. I run 25PSI off road with 1 ton on the rear axle. Eric

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
The passenger rear spring is thinner and more flexible than the cargo's, and as a result smoother-riding, I'm told, so you have the more adaptable springs already.

lzcamper

Dan,
I understand what you are saying about the 158" Sprinter. I almost got hung up trying to drive through a ditch in the road. The rear trailer hitch bottomed out, but as luck would have it, there was enough traction to back out. I did camp in the area and explored that road on my mountain bike. Quite often, I use the bike to explore roads before I drive them.

Eric,
What is the reasoning behind removing the sway bar? Mike said the same thing about his DIY on the Expedition portal forum.

Rick

Eric Experience

Rick.
The sway bar is designed to stop the vehicle leaning out on corners at speed. It does this by keeping the axle paralel with the vehicle floor, this means that if a wheel drops in a hole the vehicle has to move sideways to follow the axle down the hole. this action is uncomfortable to the passengers. Removing the sway bar improves comfort and is safe if you are a steady driver. If you drive at 65MPH and swerve around other vehicles then best to leave it on.
Eric

calbiker

Not sure what you mean by a "smoother ride". I have a 3500 Sprinter Winnebago motor home and have been trying to get the suspension under control as I do my share of "dirt roads". Even with the Koni shocks and struts, I find the damping inadequate. I'm measuring damping ratios of about 0.10. That's a lot of rocking! You'll find that those who installed Konis, have adjusted the rebound to max. That already indicates this shock is undersized and over powered.

Here's a graph of the vehicle going over a speed bump at an angle. The blue waveform is in the X-axis (side to side movement). There's 1 g-force of peak oscillation at one second period. And the oscillation keeps going and going. The Koni's are woefully inadequate in damping the rocking.

If you're ever by Santa Barbara, I can measure your suspension system.

Cal

surlyoldbill

Rick
Isn't there already over a foot of ground clearance? I roll around under my '03 140 2500 all the time without jacking it up. Parking next to a Jeep Unlimited, I was amazed to see that I had several inches more ground clearance. Depending on the amount of money you want to throw at your van, I'd suggest Bilsteins instead of Konis as an upgrade over the stock shocks. Go ahead and spring for the Konis if you're a public employee, most of the rest of us can't afford to go with the best stuff available, and have to get the most bang for our buck.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
This is the difference between standard Tins with a lower center of gravity as to a Higher center of gravity, with split gear reduction.transmissions z options for controlling pitch, [Yaw] Roll.
Australian_Defence_Force_Ambulance_-_Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter (Custom).jpg

240.jpg
It does come down to cost for additional suspension upgrades.
madar interntinal Penguin.jpg
Upgrades performed at Madar International Tasmania
vb%204 (Custom).jpg
Flex is eliminated by the changing of both rear parabolic springs, attitudinal [air suspension proper]not Firestone]and panhard sway bars, with additional polyurethane bushings not rubber. .
ATR tires will give you a 30% more traction if you select the correct tire combination
lowering tire pressures to 30 5psi on the front 35/40psi on the rear. for off road traction control.
Richard

jcolvin

I take my stock lwb sprinter off-road all the time (bumpy logging roads mostly). The best modification you can do is simply carry a good air compressor with you and air your tires down to 30 psi or so (depending on the load you are carrying and the speed you are planning to go). Then air them back up again when you are back on-road. Makes a huge difference as the tires soak up much of the bumps. Slightly taller/wider tires help as well.

motobueno

With the heavy sway bar in the back like you and I have.I undo one of the bolts on the sway bar to get more axle movement over really rough terrain .Its easy to remove and reinstall.
And don't forget to turn off the ASR if you have it.

Wabamo

Rick.
Yes you can improve the ride. I have done a lot of experimenting with sprinter rear suspension because my vehicles are used of road. Dont bother with air suspension it is not practical on the sprinter. My recomendation is to establish the weight on the rear axle when you have your camping gear loaded, then get a spring designed for that load from the standard options. IE the 1ton 2 ton or 3ton vans. remove your rear sway bar completely. run your tyres at a pressure that allows them to flex. I run 25PSI off road with 1 ton on the rear axle. Eric

Question for you Rick: Do you notice better off road performance/traction with more weight over the rear axle? My van rides 100% smoother (especially up front) with 1000lbs in the back, and I know it helps in snow, but am wondering if that translates to off road traction as well. My goal is to get as much traction as possible to go up steep grade mountain access roads in Southern California

I'm building my T1N 140 Camper, and trying improve the Off-road capability as I build. My plan was to put my water tank and battery bank (about 300lbs each, 600 total) on opposite sides about 2-3 feet in front of the rear axle ( see pic, water tank under stove/sink and batter bank left side in front of fridge), but now am thinking I might get more traction if I relocated both of them to where the spare tire is, or just above the axle under a seating bench (metal frame in pic).

Any experience or recommendations on weight placement for off-road?

Attachments

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Traction is mostly friction. Friction on most surfaces is proportional to weight. More weight, more traction. There is more than just traction for acceleration. Braking and steering are also important. Thankfully the sprinter already has ~3,000lbs over the front axle with a modest buildout, so most weight additions can be placed rearwards without issue.

What conditions are you operating in? Snow? Sand? Rocky secondary roads? There is no one best answer.

Top Bottom