Audi/Porsche/VW Wheels on a Sprinter DIY

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Man, every time my wheels come up in a post, I get flack. No problem, it's all good. I understand the questions.
1. I'm not the first person to use this wheel/tire combo.
2. The tires aren't underrated for what I use them for. The only time I got close to my max load rating was when I had the van full of people and luggage, and even then, I was still within the safe range of the tires.
3. I honestly don't know what the insurance companies would say. I see SO many wheel/tire combos here in the U.S. of A. and I've never heard of this being a problem. In fact, my van gets inspected every year by the state of Pennsylvania, and they've never said anything about my wheels and tires.
4. The wheels and tires are off of a vehicle that is rated to pull a 5000lb load, same as my Sprinter.
I did the math, knew what I was getting into, did my research and bit the bullet. I know there are more than a few people on this list who don't agree with my choice. In fact, I've even had someone from the list tell me to my face that he didn't agree. That's OK. I'm cool with that. I understand.
I just wanted to post back to the list what my experiences have been after 10,000 miles on the wheels. :thumbup:

ben a

all q7 rims are good for 2000 more than what you need if you hall more than 5000 in you van your killing it your gvw is 8000 in all 2500 sprinters( van weight and cargo = gvw.) the 2500 should be a 1500 they are not a 3/4 ton they have 8 lugs not 5 . my 2500 heim ram has a rear end bigger than 3500 dually sprinter. q7 rims work if you need lugs rims try thishttp://performancealloys.com

Last edited:

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
20,000 mile update: :thumbup:
Another year of daily Philadelphia city driving, winter in the mountains and a summer of road tripping up and down the East Coast. It's all good. :smilewink:

glojo

Man, every time my wheels come up in a post, I get flack. No problem, it's all good. I understand the questions.
You have the right to do whatever you want BUT....

Surely you just MIGHT want to think about the safety of those that have no say about your decisions.

Car wheels are designed for cars and are built to withstand the stresses and strains they will experience when fitted to these vehicles.

The wheels for vans are designed to accept the weights\tolerances etc that are experienced when carrying far heavier loads.

If a car wheel fractures on a van then the driver is simply an occupant in a vehicle that is looking for a place to come to rest.

In life we all have responsibilities, the owning and driving of any motor vehicle requires us to act responsibly and be aware of dangers.

Who cares if we kill ourselves?? it is when we mow down those innocent folks that are minding their own business, doing no harm to anyone that is the real bummer and usually it is the innocent party that gets hurt with the guilty party saying, 'IF only....'

I am no kill joy and enjoy looking at nice wheels on a van, here is a decent site but take a few seconds to read the warning..

NEVER Use Car Wheels with lower Load Rating!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I know what you're trying to convey because we all don't want every tom, dick, and harry to start spec'ing their own wheels on the road, however...

NEVER Use Car Wheels with lower Load Rating!
...I don't see a reason not to do it as long as you're aware and understand the limitations.

This is not by the numbers where things are black and white; 2+2=4. There are tolerances to everything. As long as you understand them, you are safe.

glojo

I know what you're trying to convey because we all don't want every tom, dick, and harry to start spec'ing their own wheels on the road, however...

...I don't see a reason not to do it as long as you're aware and understand the limitations.

This is not by the numbers where things are black and white; 2+2=4. There are tolerances to everything. As long as you understand them, you are safe.
Unfortunately it is indeed very much a numbers thing

Over here it would not matter if you had a doctorship in metallurgy or even wheel - urgy!! If we adapt or modify our vehicles then we are obliged to inform our insurance company and those parts had better be legal, and MOST important , SUITABLE for the vehicle. Putting car wheels that are not compliant will nullify the owner's insurance :(

I doubt VERY much that the police would ever prosecute anyone for using car wheels on a van UNLESS they failed to comply with our very strict Construction and Use Regulations BUT....

If the van driver were involved in a bad accident, then that is where the owner WILL be caught out. It does not matter if an owner tries to say they know what they are doing... The laws are quite clear and NO I am NOT a kill joy.

I love my family and would not be a happy bunny if someone were driving a van that had car wheels fitted and those wheels gave way and that vehicle then caused harm to my family!!

Far better for me to get stick for pointing out this basic issue as opposed to keeping quiet and reading about folks fitting unsuitable wheels on their vehicle.

My own car :tongue:

Note the wheels remain inside the bodywork and the exhausts do not protrude beyond the rear of the vehicle

Attachments

TomLetsinger

2006 158" DIY toy hauler
Wow, Type2Teach, I fully support your decisions here. Why anyone would think they could lecture you is beyond me. On the scale of irresponsible driving behaviors I've seen, you using questionably rated wheels on your van rates a 1 out of 100.

Unfortunately it is indeed very much a numbers thing

Over here it would not matter if you had a doctorship in metallurgy or even wheel - urgy!! ...
Your point of view and concerns are communicated. Over here the rules are different. If it should ever become a failure, then it is indeed a problem because our lawyers will have a field day. My intention is not to support either point of view. Then again, frankly I don't know if what I perceive as over regulation would buy us significantly more safety or not. vic

Last edited:

glojo

Your point of view and concerns are communicated. Over here the rules are different. If it should ever become a failure, then it is indeed a problem because our lawyers will have a field day. My intention is not to support either point of view. Then again, frankly I don't know if what I perceive as over regulation would buy us significantly more safety or not. vic
Hi Aqua,
It is nice to debate issues that we may or may not agree with, it is what makes us who we are.

I am with you regarding over regulation and where would it end but.......

Regulations are only needed to ensure we comply with laws which to most folks are common sense and not needed :) :)

A van is designed to carry heavy weight be that in goods or human beings, these weights are far, far in excess of any weights a car will carry and as such the requirements of each are completely different, that is both fact and common sense. I do not think the OP has stated what the maximum weight his vehicle is designed to carry BUT if that is taken into account when purchasing new wheels, then power to the elbow and go for it. If this has been researched then I say :thumbup::thumbup:

If the wheels are not designed to carry five or more tons then to me common sense dictates we do not fit them and who needs legislation?? It does not matter what is carried, it matters what the vehicle is designed to carry or legislated to carry :)

If the wheel or wheels fail then that is too late to have regrets or even prosecute as lives might have been endangered, a vehicle with wheels that are broken is just a hunk of metal that will be completely out of control without brakes or steering :( Not a nice thought.

I am in the corner that welcomes constructive advice, criticisms or observations. When we submit a thread saying 'look at my van' then it is refreshing when members might offer advice or even say it is not their cup of tea. It is what our fore fathers fought for, the freedom of free speech.

Je ne suis pas d'accord avec ce que vous dites, mais je me battrai jusqu'au bout pour que vous puissiez le dire.

A French saying which translates to:

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it

Over here we have legislation about using a mobile phone whilst driving.. Something that is common sense and you would like to think that there would not be a requirement for any type of law but folks still use them. (Do you call a mobile phone a cell phone?) :)

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Audi Q7 curb weight- 5500lbs
T1N curb weight- 4500 lbs
Q7 towing capacity- 5000 lbs
T1N towing capacity- 5000 lbs
Q7 hp/torque- 280hp/266
T1N hp/torque- 154hp/243
Q7 payload- 1200 lbs
T1N payload- 4000 lbs

Look up the data if you don't believe me.
I just don't see how tires and wheels designed for a vehicle that has a half ton heaver curb weight (empty weight), can tow the same weight, has the same tongue weight, has an engine with almost double the HP and more torque will be "unsafe" on my Sprinter.
Yes, yes yes. I see the vast differences in PAYLOAD. That's why I posted the numbers. But my payload is MY CHOICE. My van is a passenger van designed to carry around my family. It would take ONE TON of payload (passengers or goods) to come close to the safety limit of the wheels and tires. I come no where near that. I don't plan on it, and in case I ever do, I still have my 16" stock steelies with proper load rated tires sitting in my garage.
It honestly would be quite difficult to get a TON of weight in there with all the seats and the closet I built in the back.
When I get a travel trailer to tow behind my van I will switch over to the steelies.
Until I start being anything more than a simple passenger van that is very rarely filled to capacity, I won't worry about my wheels. 20k miles has pretty much covered every situation I would run into and everybody has come out smiling.

glojo

I do not think the OP has stated what the maximum weight his vehicle is designed to carry BUT if that is taken into account when purchasing new wheels, then power to the elbow and go for it. If this has been researched then I say :thumbup::thumbup:
Type2Teach said:
Q7 payload- 1200 lbs
T1N payload- 4000 lbs
Hi Type2
I think I have politely put my point across as have you and no doubt when you sell your vehicle you might take off those alloys.

I am a big fan of making my own vehicle looking as nice as possible which has included fitting alloy wheels. We are all different and all do what we have to do, or want to do.

I guess this issue strikes a raw nerve with me as I have witnessed the results of a vehicle that suffered from the breaking of an alloy wheel. (Stress fracture which caused the wheel to shatter) When these things fail, they shatter and the vehicle is immediately out of control.

Good luck with the van.

John

lindenengineering

Guys
Thanks for mentioning this safety hazard!:thumbup:

I mentioned this caution a few months ago about putting unspecified alloys on a Sprinter without doing due diligence!
As course it went down like a turd floating in the punch bowl at a wedding reception!:thumbdown:

Its is fairly well known in the trade that these makes mentioned pare down the wheel in the centre sections and the disc rotor to cut down on un-sprung weight.

Its is for that very reason the torque on wheel bolting recommendations are strictly adhered to for that junk called BMW (who keep telling everyone they are the best and gullible people believe 'em:thumbdown:) and those other makes; lest you run the risk of distortion not only the wheel but the disc rotor resulting in brake flutter under brake application.

With the loads of a commercial vehicle like a Sprinter you run the very risk of having wheel structure failure or detachment as you have mentioned.
Of course on this side from State to State there are few annual inspections like the MOT so owners get away with fitting a set of junk yard alloys and only find out the hard way when one falls off!
But try convincing the Gary Glitters of this world and when common sense has taken vacation in preference to looks! --sorry 'oliday!:rolleyes:
Cheers Dennis
ex MOT Inspector, yurs ago when I had hair that was brown!

StanUbeki

Do this search, it works on any terms and the results come from all craigslist cities
site:craigslist.org alloy wheels sprinter 2500

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I went and read the posts on the link provided with the photo​ above instead of just gasping at the picture. That wheel in the photo was made specifically for motorhomes. And someone in the wheel industry commented that it was the first issue he had ever seen like that. He also mentioned that there appeared to be some discoloration on the rim and it could have been flawed in it's original casting.

I went and read the posts on the link provided with the photo​ above instead of just gasping at the picture. That wheel in the photo was made specifically for motorhomes. And someone in the wheel industry commented that it was the first issue he had ever seen like that. He also mentioned that there appeared to be some discoloration on the rim and it could have been flawed in it's original casting.
I'm not a fancy wheel kinda guy. When we bought my wife's Hyundai Elantra we didn't go for the next fancier model. Not because of price, but because the fancier wheel upgrade just looked like it was less serviceable

My opinion... not that anyone asked.

Fancy alloy wheels are fine, but when it comes to serviceability steel wheels are hard to beat.

If the choice is form over function then there is compromise. Some problems may surface.

Not all Sprinters are for work. Some need to look good. :thumbup:

vic

Top Bottom