Lost fan speed

tonyv

02 Freightliner Sprinter
Anybody here that can help me find where to look. I lost speeds 1-3 on the control panel but 4 works. I've had this happen in other vehicles and we have changed out the switch. Is it the same here or am I looking at something bigger? Also, is there a way to change the vents? My employees like to cross their legs in the van and hit the vents with their boot and have broken the slats. :bash:
Great forum and thanks in advance.

SprinterUSA1

Anybody here that can help me find where to look. I lost speeds 1-3 on the control panel but 4 works. I've had this happen in other vehicles and we have changed out the switch. Is it the same here or am I looking at something bigger? Also, is there a way to change the vents? My employees like to cross their legs in the van and hit the vents with their boot and have broken the slats. :bash:

Tony,

welcome on board.

Hope you have them pay for the repairs each time they brake the vent. Never seen anybody replace them with something else. Guess you could make mesh cover for them as to protect the vent. Or take the louvers out and put mesh in instead. Or keep replacing them........
As far as the switch. Might be the switch itself but am not sure. Sounds like it though.

SprinterUSA1

tonyv

02 Freightliner Sprinter
Of course they all deny, deny, deny that they did it. Better to replace vents than body panels though.

SprinterUSA1

Of course they all deny, deny, deny that they did it. Better to replace vents than body panels though.

On the NCV3 with bench seat for passenger side MB had to add a bar to protect the shifter from getting knocked out of gear. Maybe similar bar can keep boots away from your vents.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I'm guessing you're talking about the T1N?

Anybody here that can help me find where to look. I lost speeds 1-3 on the control panel but 4 works. I've had this happen in other vehicles and we have changed out the switch. Is it the same here or am I looking at something bigger?
Sounds like the resistor array part that slows down the fan is disconnected or not in the circuit somehow.

It might be something bigger, but without going into the controls myself, I would only be guessing.

Click here to disassemble part of the dash to get to the heating/cooling controls.

Instructions for disassembling the heating/cooling controls from the dash: View attachment ac.pdf

In the "OPERATION" section of the above pdf file, it says that if anything is broken in the heating/cooling controls unit, you have to replace the entire unit.

If you're going to have to replace the entire unit, as the service manual recommends, it doesn't hurt to take it apart and try to fix it yourself. Really nothing to lose.

Also, is there a way to change the vents? My employees like to cross their legs in the van and hit the vents with their boot and have broken the slats. :bash:
Are the slats broken or are they just out of their sockets like this...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4546&postcount=4

...if they're actually broken, you will have to go back to the dealer for the entire plastic bezel piece that goes across the dash. Then there's the ebay and junkyard option.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Of course they all deny, deny, deny that they did it....
Employees that have no respect for company property (you know, the tools that make it possible for them to do the job and get paid) is one thing, the ones that lie about it :rant: well that's even worse. Personally unless the person who broke it does not ride in the truck any more, I would not bother fixing that part.

sikwan said:
In the "OPERATION" section of the above pdf file, it says that if anything is broken in the heating/cooling controls unit, you have to replace the entire unit.
That's what they did with mine a few years ago, replaced the whole thing. The fan speed works well now but the illumination has been spotty ever since. The must not have plugged something in properly.

tonyv

02 Freightliner Sprinter
Thanks for being so helpful. I'll open it up tomorrow and check it out now that I know where to start.
As far as the vents, they started out being loose, some of the tabs are broken off. Do they sell just the vents or do I need to get the whole trim on the dash?

tonyv

02 Freightliner Sprinter
You might not be too late. Its been so hot, high speed was all I needed. I've been too busy working but started looking at how to take the trim off. Where would it be?

tonyv

02 Freightliner Sprinter
I looked in that area this morning but all I saw was connectors. Is it on the blower or up high in there? I had to get to work and didn't want to start taking things apart. Thanks

tonyv

02 Freightliner Sprinter
Sikwan, thanks for the diagram of the location. I was looking for a block like a relay. Once I bought the resistor it all made sense. Very easy to get to and you gave a better picture than the dealer. While I was there I picked up a fuel and oil filter and took care of those today too. I also freed up the parking brake and covered it in grease hoping it doesn't keep getting stuck. Thanks again for the help. :thumbup:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Anyone have a picture of what this resistor block looks like? I think mine just went out at 127K miles. I know on my Chevy it was a fusible link that went bad that caused the blower to work on high only, so it took me a while using the search to track down this thread. Also a part Number would be handy if anyone has it.

Thanks again guys. This forum is the best ever for Sprinters.

Top Bottom