Poor man's gray water holding tank

Thanasis

I replaced the bucket I used to put on the ground under the van to collect the gray water with a "holding tank" , actually a Rubbermaid 6 gallon water tank which I painted black -- it was blue (last photo) fitted appropriately and strapped under the floor on the driver's side. I did not want to drill holes through the floor to hang the tank. What I did is drill 2 holes on the floor rib and attach an horizontal bar to anchor two vertical 2'' straps, and a bracket on the wall to anchor the horizontal 1" strap ( first photo )
The drain hose comes down through the factory-provided access opening, which was blocked with a grease-saturated piece of foam , and which I replaced with the cover shown on the second photo.
The tank is drained via a faucet installed on an 1.5" rubber cap.

Thanasis

Attachments

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03
Nice alteration on that tank! How far below the side skirt does it come down? Does this feed up to a sink on the inside or more?

:thumbup::thumbup:
Dan

Thanasis

Thanks Dan.
It hangs down about 3.5 inches. It collects sink water.
The space available down there is 9 inches wide and 11 inches from floor to the skirt.
I will keep looking for a tank that is better fit. Now that I have the angors and straps in place it will be easy to replace. Actually a 8-in PVC pipe about 32 inches long will work better, if I could only find rubber caps to for it.The biggest caps that I could find were 6".

Thanasis

Thanasis

"factory-provided-access": You can channel a hose or wiring from inside the van to under the van via an opening that begins behind the driver ( see photo) and leads to the round hole under the van right next to the fueling hose.
Hope this helps the member who asked via private message.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
"factory-provided-access": You can channel a hose or wiring from inside the van to under the van via an opening that begins behind the driver ( see photo) and leads to the round hole under the van right next to the fueling hose.
Hope this helps the member who asked via private message.
I just checked this plumbing/wiring access with a flashlight inserted through the ashtray hole behind the driver seat and can see light clearly through about 1" diameter hole from underneath the van as you described it. Running a 1" drain line could still require some cutting but there is a clear path. Thank you for this lead, now I can design the SS gray water tank, (Passenger, 2013, 144" WB).

George.

Dutchies

Today I found there are 2 rubber caps under the van in the side plate (or what ever it is called).

When I tried to find what they are used for I came across this topic. Although my answer is not here maybe some can tell what the are used for.
If you remove these (how can I) will you be able to go into the van?

You can see what I mean in the first post in picture 1 and 5.

Thanks!!

hein

Van Guru
I think the one behind the fuel fill has a path inside (As George notes). And there is also a way through in the rear corners. Not anything along the sides that I am aware of. But I'm pretty sure you can drill through from the inside (between the inner and outer chassis walls) and then drop into behind the rocker panel.

powderhound

Today I found there are 2 rubber caps under the van in the side plate (or what ever it is called).

When I tried to find what they are used for I came across this topic. Although my answer is not here maybe some can tell what the are used for.

Thanks!!
Coincidental that I came across this post....as I just posted a question about the square hole.

Pet Door...for mice

Anyway, there is no need to drill. You can reach your ARM up from under the vehicle and into the rear cab. If you remove the stock corrugated plastic paneling, it will be obvious.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Thanasis

Thanks!!
Not all round holes provide access to the van's interior. To make sure, remove each rubber cap and test with a flashlight.

Thanasis

Update: After using the Rubbermaid tank for 5 years, I decided to replace it with one made out of PVC pipe.
I had considered back then to make one out of 8in PVC pipe but I gave up the idea, until not too long ago Dave Orton posted a drawing he made, describing a tank made out of 6in PVC pipe, for which it is easier to obtain fittings. I used his drawing as a reference ( thanks Dave!)
Materials:
2ft 6" PVC pipe ( 2 ea)
6" PVC Drain cap (2 ea)
6" Hub-Hub-Hub Tee (1 ea)
Ikea plastic cutting board (1 ea) (*)
3/4" 'shut off' drain valve ( 1 ea)
3 ft 3/4" PVC pipe and various 3/4" fittings
Material cost: approx $70

(*) I cut a 6" plate and a 6" baffle ( with cut-outs at top and bottom) out of the cutting board. The plate was used to close the tee opening facing the ground, and the baffle ( which was glued at the joint of the tee and the pipe) to reduce sloshing.

The holding capacity of the new tank is around 5 gallons.
I am pleased with the upgrade. For one thing the pipe is secured more firmly. Also, the only thing sticking below the apron now is the drain valve.
tank - 1.jpgtank - 2.jpgtank - 3.jpgtank - 4.jpgtank - 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanasis

..more photos.
tank_m - 1 (1).jpgtank_m - 1.jpgtank_m - 2.jpgtank_k - 1.jpgtank_k - 2.jpg

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Good to see the idea put to use. Looks like you did not entered the pipe tank at the bottom to eliminate the need for a trap. A sink/shower drain that goes down past the tank and then up to the tank makes a trap.

I will have to have a fabricated SS tank in the Transit to get enough capacity for the space available.

Last edited:

Thanasis

... Looks like you did not entered the pipe tank at the bottom to eliminate the need for a trap....
Hi David,
But I did. The white PVC pipe comes down from the sink and connects to the 3/4" tee on which the drain valve is also attached on the opposite side.
Here are some more pics that show the hook-up at the bottom.
T.
tank_t - 1.jpgtank_t - 2.jpgtank_t - 3.jpgtank_t - 4.jpgtank_t - 5.jpg

Top Bottom