Terrible Drone noise

QTLTD

Somone HELP , please .

2004 Sprinter Pasenger van ,

There is a sound from under the van ( DRONE ) when driving up to hill , or accelerating at the same RPMs 1300-1700 , 2300-2700 , 3200 - 3600 and is very loud and annoing - specialiy for pasenger van .
Dealer replaced (under warranty) all exhaust from engine to the end -no change - drone is there .
dealer also replaced propeler shaft w/universal joints- all from transmision to rear axle - drone is there.
check axle - components , bearings in good condition , fluid --- ok

Drone is there :idunno:

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Does it sound like a loud Hmmmmmmm oise, I have it at 1600-1700 rmp in top gear right around 70 mph.

Is this the same noise and symptom you speak of?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
If the drone noise you're talking about is the same as what I'm thinking it to be, mine does it too when I'm trying to accelerate at speed (65mph +). If I'm cruising at a high speed with the tach at 2700, I don't hear the noise. It only happens when I have the pedal to the metal at speed.

Gee, I must baby my Sprinter because I don't remember ever having the tach go past 3k. :smirk:

QTLTD

#6 accelerating at the same RPMs 1300-1700 , 2300-2700 , 3200 - 3600
#7 vibration noise from the floor in the cabin area - always cold or warm

tegimr

2003 Pass 140 289000 mile
#6 accelerating at the same RPMs 1300-1700 , 2300-2700 , 3200 - 3600
#7 vibration noise from the floor in the cabin area - always cold or warm
Has anyone had these type of problems JUST when it's hot - 95 F+?

Tim

This may be related------
I'm getting a noise when driving around 60 with AC on and ext temp 85 and above.It's sort of a hollow whoing noise that is RPM dependant( lower tone than turbo). With cruise on I saw that this sound started with coolant about 204 and intake air 110 ( have Scanguage), then coolant temp went down and noise stopped between 190 and 185. This senario repeated dependind on engine load ie. hills.
Does this mean engine cooling system is operating at max and aux fan has to cycle at conditions that are not really extreme?
Does anyone know the turnon temp for electric aux fan? Will talk to dealer.
Why did they put the intercooler after the AC condenser? To make the intake air hotter> the hotter the intake air on a diesel the less efficient it is. DUH
Bob

bikerjoe

My '04 just turned 60K miles.

I have developed the very same low groaning noise. It sounds like a very loud and low pitched harmonic vibration. I would LOVE to get rid of this noise.

My temporary solution is to shift down a gear. The noise occurs while under a load, such as at 65 mph on a grade and attempting to maintain speed or accelerate. Sometimes the noise persists through 4th and 3rd gears. I haven't been to the dealer for a solution. I am fairly certain that there is no real fix for this problem.

I am looking into a different solution. Trading my 2004 in for a NEW 2007!

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Same noise I have. I would like to see it gone, too, only under a load, 65-70 mph.

You would trade the 04 you did all the custom suspension work on recently?

bikerjoe

Wow! you remember the posts? I am flattered! Yes, the bed and other apperatus I built can be removed, not terribly easily, but with some effort, and mounted onto another truck if necessary. I built it this way so that if I wreck my truck by rear-ending a moving van while rubber-necking one of the numerous bikini-clad California beach babes, I can go get another one and have my business back up and running in about ten days.

I have not finished the project. I am about $6,000.00 away from completing it. UGH! Everything is so expensive. Of course, that is partially MY fault, as I have installed eight different hydraulic functions into the bed, powered by three separate hydraulic pumps. I sent a letter to Uncle Gates asking him for a Billion dollars, but he responded "No." In fact, he denied even being related to me. Imagine that!

hammerdown

hey guys, i have this noise too. i'm contributing some info that i dont' think anyone else has mentioned. the noise, kind of a droning, low resonance, only seems to occur at a specific rpm, right around 3k. It does it in all gears, for example, if accelerating quickly, the noise comes and goes quickly as the rpms pass the range in which the noise occurs. it happens in all gears, however the noise is constant around 70 mph, because that's when your rpms are constantly in what i call the drone zone. i would love to fix this problem, it's annoying as all get out.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
I have read in another forum, topix.net, where i saw Richard make some posts regarding the harmonic Balancer and failure that some T1N's are prone to and can be a very expensive repair. I believe if one acts early and changes it it is a small repair as compared to after failure.

Not sure if that is the deal here, but I thought I should start such a discussion as there is not much on the harmonic balancer issue that I could find here in search.....

AzteK

Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah!
pvsprinter: That would be your condenser fan if im not mistaken trying to cool down. When the van isnt moving fast enough or idles to long with the AC on the engine heats up a lot faster. Once on the road the noise is most pronouced in the 2000rpm range, then goes away again. Once temps get back to a close 180 the fan stops. It sounds like dump trucks, and semis taking off as well. But if you want to try a test, turn your AC off, open the windows (if its that hot out) idle for 5min, then take off as you normally would. You shouldnt hear it, it shouldnt go on. Or the fan is always on, but when you hear the whining sound it might be going full speed I dont know.

When I took my van in for service last year the dummy decided to make my fan stay on full as long as the key was turned on... That got fixed right away.. and they thought this was normal!! But no, that little biut of whining sound you hear is nothing at all. If its going all the time, or even when your AC isnt running, then maybe get some stuff checked out.

hammerdown

I have read in another forum, topix.net, where i saw Richard make some posts regarding the harmonic Balancer and failure that some T1N's are prone to and can be a very expensive repair. I believe if one acts early and changes it it is a small repair as compared to after failure.

Not sure if that is the deal here, but I thought I should start such a discussion as there is not much on the harmonic balancer issue that I could find here in search.....
i don't think it's the harmonic balancer, mine recently almost fell off, and after it was repaired the drone zone still exists. at least i hope it's not that.

Top Bottom