Let the games begin!

TommyG2bad

work, raft, ride
Enough reading and fretting, I'm gonna build this thing.
I need my short/high sprinter to do several things well, and have come to the conclusion it can't do them all perfectly. I need to haul my KLR 650 one day, tow a raft with wet gear the next, boondock camp out of it with kids, dogs, girlfriend, and occasionally haul a ton of tools to jobsites.
Test fit the partitions yesterday, and decided rear access from the outside slider wasn't worth it and could use the extra inch in the cab area. This will also allow me to put an outside shower in. (another giant project, I wasn't considering water at all)
Today the important stuff, stereo, rear camera, remote start and alarm. While it's in the shop it will give me time to clean up my 07 passenger to sell.
By then my sound insulation should be in from Raam.

I'm learning about the electrical from all the amazing posts on here, but I could use a simple diagram without solar if anyone can steer me to a link. This is the only part that intimidates me, and I'm already over budget on day 2 of the build and can't farm it out.
I wish someone just sold a kit with everything you need.

Here's a pic of testing the partition location. I plan on trapping the panels for safety,(I've wrecked a van and know how bad a toolbox traveling 30mph feels) beefing them up with some aluminum angle, and putting a sliding door. It's 3/4 baltic birch. I'll seal it to slider door with 1/2 soft rubber splined into edge.

Okay I lied, for some reason it's not letting me put link to picture and I have to get moving. I'll post progress pictures later as I've learned a ton by looking at everyones projects.

glasseye

Partitions looking good, tommy.:thumbup: I'm installing bulkheads behind the cab, too. I'll race you to completion by March. :tongue: My sound insulation arrives next week, too. :drool:

TommyG2bad

work, raft, ride
It's ON Glasseye! And my sound insulation arrives Monday. My support brackets for flip up fronts on the seat aren't in yet so I'm not sure how far I want to get on them, and I've gotta take a crash course in upholstery.

My kid chose green as the laminate color for the panels in the cargo bay,(what the hell was I thinking?) and I've got enough sheet aluminum left over from a job to do a 6" kick on the sides and doors.
Stereo and back-up camera in, badly. Never go with the cheap bid on that, but the camera is amazing. Alarm and remote start next.
I've got a road trip to Oregon planned for March so the race is on.
(truth is I'll be working on this March of next year)

Attachments

ircsmith

Squid
Maybe March of next year is a little optimistic. well maybe not, if your more dedicated than I am. I've been "working" on my interior partition for 2 years!

keep us posted. I'll live vicariously through your successes.

glasseye

It's ON Glasseye!
I've got a road trip to Oregon planned for March so the race is on.
(truth is I'll be working on this March of next year)
:cheers: I'm due in the Desert Southwest in early April, so awaaaaaaay we go! I've got my oversized drill bit chucked up and today I'm drilling out rivets. The floor's coming up.:rad:

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
Enough reading and fretting, I'm gonna build this thing...
By then my sound insulation should be in from Raam.
I've got Raam product on everything. I really like it.

I'm learning about the electrical from all the amazing posts on here, but I could use a simple diagram without solar if anyone can steer me to a link. This is the only part that intimidates me, and I'm already over budget on day 2 of the build and can't farm it out.
I wish someone just sold a kit with everything you need.
Try this link. It might have something useful. Electrical is a b :yell:h. I've struggled to get this far. Mine is a T1N.

Last edited:

TommyG2bad

work, raft, ride
Glasseye, I'm leaving my floor in after reading something in the warranty book about the floor. Seems like they could void part of warranty if you mess with it. I'm due in the desert in July. Riding dirt from N. Nevada down to Arizona and across New Mex. to the Texas border.
I haven't told my gf yet but she gets to drive the Sprinter as our support vehicle. Just can't carry enough beer on a dualsport and then I'll load the bikes and drive home to Denver.

I spent all day yesterday trying to cobble in a sliding door latch from Homer Depot for the sliding door and I hate it. Rattles, doesn't stay latched, hard to operate. Found a source from very expensive looking ones, but will work. Lesson learned.
http://eberhard.com/dead-bolt-latches/d-rings/cat_29.html

Gulf, that guy at Raam is the best. I'll give him all my business. Thanks for the electrical link, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to have to slay that beast soon and I'm not looking forward to it.

TommyG2bad

work, raft, ride
still insulating cargo bay.
I used 2 layers of thermafoil, 1st with foil out, second with foil in. They sell a double sided version but I wanted the extra insulation. I know there's a lot of debate about using wool, but I figure I'm not out hiking with my van and will have a good vapor barrier, plus it's treated for mold resistance. I used spray adhesive where possible and just stuffed to fit where contact cement wasn't possible. I had some pipe insulation laying around and used it to clean up the edges on the big panels. Probably not needed but looks a lot better. Very easy to install.
I used spray foam in the frame members.
I got 2 big rolls from Home Depot online, and will have a lot left but this stuff works well around the house for things like water heater blankets, attic insulation, window covering.

When I get back to the mountains I'll have access to a good thermal imaging camera and will take some pictures. Should be interesting.

Attachments

Kat

Katmobile
Enough reading and fretting, I'm gonna build this thing.
I need my short/high sprinter to do several things well, and have come to the conclusion it can't do them all perfectly.
Amen! Me too. I decided I will do as much as I possibly can on my conversion and keep learning as I go. Thankfully there are so many great people on this forum to help us on our journey. Good luck to you.

Kat

Top Bottom