Roadtrek Electric step "disarm" Switch?

Ok - so you are suggesting to plug back to a 'dummy' connect to trick the onboard computer - is that right?
It's a newer model (used to us) so how might I figure out what to 'jump' to ? Electronics/elec not my strong suit :)
Yes. That is what I'm suggesting.

MB doesn't design/make the unit you unplugged, they install them. I would get the brand and model number so you you can search for the installation/wiring details. The information must be available for the installers. Armed with that someone should be able to help construct a dummy plug.

There is no defeat feature built in to the step unit? I would think that the designers would accommodate that. They must anticipate that the user doesn't always want the step moving out into the way. Check with the manufacturer.

Added: I haven't reviewed this "disarm" thread. The info may already be here.
vic

Last edited:

prich

Dumb question by a newbie ...
Is a Roadtrek a converted camper Sprinter?
You mention an existing disarm switch - I just have a Sprinter passenger van (no disarm switch) - but I really need one...
The electric step alarm is driving me around the bend... :)
prich

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
"Is a Roadtrek a converted camper Sprinter?" Yes, but they also use other van chassis besides the Sprinter(s).

Don't know about your being able to install a disarm switch; things are all computer-controlled now and if you change one thing it may well affect other things. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable folks on this forum can answer you.

prich

Thanks - appreciate your reply ...
It is an OEM - MB factory installed step. MB is passing the buck which is disappointing.
I suspect finding a wiring diagram would be tough even for a spy...!

It's not on a separate fuse, it goes directly into the on board computer...

mowog

Dumb question by a newbie ...
Is a Roadtrek a converted camper Sprinter?
You mention an existing disarm switch - I just have a Sprinter passenger van (no disarm switch) - but I really need one...
The electric step alarm is driving me around the bend... :)
prich
A roadtrek is a converted delivery van without side windows (as far as I understand). I'm pretty sure the step is added by Roadtrek. The Facebook page may get you the info you want as who does what.

Bob

GAMacky

I'm having trouble with my slide step lately that it keeps extending and retracting while I'm driving, especially over bumps or making a turn. I'm wondering if the magnet switch is not strong enough. Will have to play with a magnet when I get off work today.

GAMacky

Also thinking of doing the disarm switch. However, I'm thinking if I can replace the existing switch with a 3 position toggle switch with a DTDP would simplify the setup. The middle, neutral position would be regular operation, while one side is keep step out, and the other side is to keep step in.

GAMacky

That was it. Taping a magnet over the existing magnet in the sliding door solved my step issue. I was ready to rent a lift bay to go under the van to see what's up. Facepalm.

solsen23

Also thinking of doing the disarm switch. However, I'm thinking if I can replace the existing switch with a 3 position toggle switch with a DTDP would simplify the setup. The middle, neutral position would be regular operation, while one side is keep step out, and the other side is to keep step in.
I was thinking along similar lines, but using the existing switch to "keep step in" instead of "keep step out".

solsen23

I was thinking along similar lines, but using the existing switch to "keep step in" instead of "keep step out".
I know this is a very old thread (except for my postings, so far). But I performed a "disable" modification today. I proceeded as indicated in my prior post by simply re-purposing the existing step rocker switch on my 2017 Roadtrek CS Adventurous. I even re-used the original rocker switch wiring in the B pillar to avoid wire routing headaches. The difference is that the rocker switch wires now terminate in parallel with the magnetic sensor. It looks stock, retains the fully automatic mode, and provides the option to keep the step in (retracted).

Top Bottom