Roadtrek Electric step "disarm" Switch?

icarus

No worries, I'm glad you could figure it out with my description.

I am curious though, where did you find you had spray foam? I have worked on several RTs and haven't found any spray foam in that area?

Icarus

slowstride

There is quite a bit of sprayed in foam under van, encasing tanks and plumbing. I had assumed it was 'factory' but maybe not.

Pros: thermal insulation, accoustic insulation, protecting and supporting under van systems

Cons: decreased clearance, servicing access compromised

Time will tell if this is a good or bad thing.....

icarus

There is quite a bit of sprayed in foam under van, encasing tanks and plumbing. I had assumed it was 'factory' but maybe not.

Pros: thermal insulation, accoustic insulation, protecting and supporting under van systems

Cons: decreased clearance, servicing access compromised

Time will tell if this is a good or bad thing.....
My guess it that it was not factory.

See my posts on winter water systems for RTs.

Icarus

Trekker

Trekker
Thanks for the info. I'm going to install a second switch also, per the advice in this post. Can someone post a photo of your finished switch installation so that I can get an idea of how you finished the installation? I don't want mine looking like a Rube Goldberg butcher job, so I'd appreciate some input on how you made yours look acceptable. Mostly, how did you neatly put a rectangular switch in the round cutout hole while making it look factory?

icarus

I'll try to post some pictures lated, but the gist is that ycan get rocker switches with round bases and rectangular faces.

Icarus

Trekker

Trekker
Yeah, I picked up a nice round rocker switch at the Shack about an hour ago, and it has a rectangular base, but the mounting position you suggest (which is a sweet location, BTW), is too shallow for the rear connections of the switch. Perhaps I'll have to fab a beefier I.E. thicker, escutcheon plate for the switch. BTW, thanks to you and others for the info on how to solve this problem. This forum helped once again. I've been gnawing on this idea for a few days now, as my RT step keeps opening each time we go up an incline, then closing again as the slope changes. Very annoying, but the switch should solve it!!!

carone

The biggest problem I have had with my 2010 RS is the step! It has a mind of it's own it comes out and goes in when it feels like it. Now it is stuck open and will not go anywhere. Had the controller replaced by dealer because they felt that was the problem it was NOT shortly after it started doing same thing.
Is there some one who has a controller or wiring diagram of this unit I would like to be able to operate it manually a rocker switch to open rock it the other way and close it. I would like to know the wires that operate the motor?

Thank for any help
Frank:thinking:

Trekker

Trekker
Frank,
I installed a rocker switch from Radio Shack per the instructions in this thread. Solved all the problems. Works great. Follow the instructions in this thread.

carone

Thanks I will try this I'm at wits end on this problem. I have been waiting for a jolt
And loud noise as the step gets mangled.

Frank

tcaron20

Excellent! I wanted (needed) to fix this but was scared to do it without clear pictures. This will work terrific. Magnets, etc. just do not do the job. How aggravating!

Tom C

tcaron20

Hi RT.SS,

Thanks again for the switch post. A couple of questions:

1. Where did you get the switch?
2. Gauge of the wires used?
3. Am I correct in seeing that all there is to it is splicing the red and black into each of the
grey magnetic switch wires? Does it create a "short" when the new switch is on to
disarm the mag switch?

Sorry for the elementary questions but I want to get it right before I start. Step is driving me nuts.

Tom C

Trekker

Trekker
Hi RT.SS,

3. Am I correct in seeing that all there is to it is splicing the red and black into each of the
grey magnetic switch wires? Does it create a "short" when the new switch is on to
disarm the mag switch?
I mounted mine near the floor, per a suggestion from Icarus earlier in this thread. I used the available hole, which meant no fussing with threading wires up 3 feet and cutting a new hole. See photo. I find the low location to be user friendly, an easy reach when standing outside the van. Now, I mostly leave it off so the step doesn't cycle randomly, and then turn it on when stopped as I enter the van.

Got the switch from Radio Shack, see the part number and description in photos.

Gauge of wire is 20-24. Nothing heavy needed, it is a small motor. Yup, just splice it in. No it doesn't create a 'short' (well, I guess that might be one way to phrase it?). When the switch is enabled, it causes the motor to draw the step in. Think of it as an 'over-ride'.

Attachments

RT.SS

Hi RT.SS,

disarm the mag switch?

Sorry for the elementary questions but I want to get it right before I start. Step is driving me nuts.

Tom C
I got the switch from Campingworld. I think i used a 16 or 18 gauge wire, as Trekker have said, you dont really need a thicker gauge. To override the mag switch, the new switch has to be in the "on" position , basically it will create a " short" between the two wires, if thats what you mean.

I like to look it as stock as possible, that is why I mounted the switch there. Good luck.

tcaron20

Excellent!

Thanks Trekker and RT.SS. For what we paid for these rigs you would think that Roadtrek would have come up with this fix for us. Oh well.

Great thread.

Tom C

JuerRoad

Hi Icarus,
I have a Roadtrek RS (2 1/2 years, 50,000km) and had and have problems with the power step. Now it is extended and does not retract no matter what I do. Any thoughts how to diagnose this probelm? Also, do you have a photo of the additional switch you put in to hinder the step from extending.
Thanks,
JuerRoad

icarus

I don't have a picture available now, but there are some posted above that mimic mine.

As for not retracting, the first thing I would look at is the fuse. The wiring to the step is essentially wiring to a controller. It is possible that the controller has malfunctioned. Essentially the controller just acts to open or close depending on what position it is in now.

In an emergency (working from memory here!) you can crawl under the van. The step drive is a simple worm screw. You can pull the pin on the worm screw, and push the step in until you figure out what the issue is. Make sure you secure it in however. The screw Assy is pretty easy to figure out, the controller is another issue.

Good luck, and keep in touch,

Icarus

JuerRoad

Thanks Icarus,
I am on my way back to my home from a lengthy trip to Canada's North. Since a couple of days I am driving with the step in the out position which, in my eyes, is an unsave situation; Roadtrek of course does not give any hints and as the experience of other Roadtrekers tells me, they don't care about customers. Will check what you described once I am home.
Thanks again,
JuerRoad

icarus

If you have been gravel reading it, it is possible that it stuck due to build up either on the step itself, or on the worm gear. That is why I plumbed in a hose bib and keep a short coil hose with a nozzel on it so I can spray it off before it comes out when I have been gravel reading.

Personally, I would have preferred no step, or a manual one since I am on the road with winter sand and gravel and drive a lot on gravel roads.

Like I said before,, roll underneath the van, and pull the pin on the rod, and push it in, instead of driving with it out.

Good luck,

Icarus

BobLLL

FWIW, I was poking around under the driver's seat the other day, and I noticed there is a wire with a plastic tab that says "sliding step" that is connected to the power there. It is accessible by moving the seat forward and removing the metal grill that is over the converter. Not sure that is any help, just another info bit.

Top Bottom