Wiring the sprinter for trailer lights

Lrdhawkwind

Hi Brian:
"I have a 2006 140 " wheelbase 10 passenger van with a rear step bumper."

2006 Sprinters are all of the T1N variety!
'02-'06 Sprinters are all T1N...... all flavors 2500-3500-Cab & Chassis.

'07-'11 Sprinters are all NCV3!
The newer NCV3 looks entirely different!

"It has the optional transmission cooler but does not have the wiring for a tow package. I do not know if it is a NCV3 or a T1N. It is a 2500. I was surprised to see double leaves in the back. I thought all 2500 had a single leaf."

"Which model is it?"

T1N definitely!

"Advice for a 4 prong trailer plug for tail lights and signal lights. Dealer is 3 hours away from me. Advice?"

I suggest getting the 7 way factory harness and the factory hitch receiver.
I can send you a .pdf file that illustrates the entire installation of the '06 7 pin OEM factory wiring harness with
lots of pictures.

Why install the 7 pin system when you only need a 4 pin system?
It's very easy to put a 7 to 4 pin adapter on the factory 7 way harness. (< $10 at your local auto parts store.)
If you do not install an electric brake controller, but put the additional #10 AWG wire in the bundle when you
install the factory 7 pin harness you can always add the brake controller and simply connect the additonal wires
electric brakes require at some later date.
The factory '06 T1N Sprinter is completely plug and play except for one blk/wht wire that needs to be soldered to the
blk/wht wire that feeds into the LH stop light/turn signal.
It's far easier to install the whole package that has been engineered for your vehicle and then use only the features
(stop lights... turn signals...tail and marker lights) you need right now, but retain the ability to upgrade to the full
7 pin system if you ever need it.
If you install a simple 4 pin harness now, you would probably need to rip it out in order to upgrade to the 7 pin OEM
factory engineered wiring harness.
If you can make one good solder connection (the instructions show you how and where) you can install the 7 pin
factory system yourself. No dealer is required.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Hey I am a new t1n owner I would love that PDF and the part number as trying to get everything right before next year's travels I had been planning on the 7 blade modual but search the forums for most my questions

sailquik

Lrdhawkwind,
The Part number for the Genuine MOPAR 2002-2006 Sprinter T1N Tow Harness is 82209169AB.
That is a MOPAR/Chrysler Part # and it may cross reference to a MB Part number.
I don't have the .pdf on this computer (several laptops ago) but I will do some looking.
Did anyone save all the T1N and NCV3 info off the Yahoo Sprinter Group?
Pretty sure the entire instruction package was posted there as a .pdf file.
Here's one source that seems to have the harness in stock:
Roger

Hey I am a new t1n owner I would love that PDF and the part number as trying to get everything right before next year's travels I had been planning on the 7 blade module but search the forums for most my questions
Both my 2004 and my 2006 have aftermarket powered modules to a 7 blade trailer connector. Both needed a brake controller and associated wiring. Both are working fine. The 2004 module has been in service commencing 2008.

An upgrade for the 2006 was a 7 connector that had a 4 pin in line connector built in (off to one side). It saves needing an adapter for towing when trailer brakes aren't a factor.

The OEM type harness also needs a brake controller (if trailer brakes are required).

A side note.
2006 NAS aka NAFTA Sprinters are all T1N's. 2006 Euro Sprinters may be T1N or NCV3. In Europe NCV3 models were rolled out in 2006.

:cheers: vic

Larissa Davis

Hey I am a new t1n owner I would love that PDF and the part number as trying to get everything right before next year's travels I had been planning on the 7 blade modual but search the forums for most my questions
HI, we are about to become owners of a 2006 3500, no tow package. We plan on towing a small trailer. Does anyone know the towing capacity of these vans, or have a link to a site with such info? Thank you!

niagara

Milwaukee, WI
Quick answer is to check your plate under the drivers seat. Mine didn’t have the full tow info on it, but most do. IIRC, class IV towing equates to 5000lb tow weight, 500lb tongue weight max which I what I operate on. Be sure to adjust your tire pressure accordingly.

HI, we are about to become owners of a 2006 3500, no tow package. We plan on towing a small trailer. Does anyone know the towing capacity of these vans, or have a link to a site with such info? Thank you!
A 2500 T1N is 5000# trailer weight, 500# tongue weight as was mentioned. It applies to the NCV3 models also. (I haven't researched VS30 at all.) Any tongue weight needs to be subtracted from the Sprinter cargo capacity (500#). There are some specific Sprinter models with a higher tow rating. Some conversion Sprinters have a lower rating.

Discussion with links to sources is in post #26 here.

Some additional discussion is here. Post #33 includes Operator Manual data.

vic

Larissa Davis

A 2500 T1N is 5000# trailer weight, 500# tongue weight as was mentioned. It applies to the NCV3 models also. (I haven't researched VS30 at all.) Any tongue weight needs to be subtracted from the Sprinter cargo capacity (500#). There are some specific Sprinter models with a higher tow rating. Some conversion Sprinters have a lower rating.

Discussion with links to sources is in post #26 here.

Some additional discussion is here. Post #33 includes Operator Manual data.

vic
Thanks, it is the T1N model, appreciate the information and links.

Top Bottom