Routing a wire from the top middle brake light???

Brian Kenny

Silver Flyer
Has anyone in the group successfully routed a wire from the top middle brake light through the existing grommet and have the wire appear below in the crack between the rear door opening and the large panel in the back of the camper?

I am trying to install a backup camera mounted to the bottom of the gray trim piece of the middle brake light. I thought this would be a good location as it is high enough that it wouldn't be tempting to steal and there would be a good view from that height. So I attached the camera to the trim piece, then before reinstalling it, I pushed about 4 feet of wire from the camera through the same grommet that the wires for the light use, thinking that the backup camera wire would just fall down below and appear inside the back doors. Silly me. After trying many different methods of trying to fish the wire through this space, still no luck. If anyone has done this, please let me know the secret.

Brian Kenny

Last edited:

If nobody has the secret you might consider cutting an access hole and using a deck plate as a cover, or install that additional overhead convenience light you always wanted there.

Here's one link that came up when I searched for "deck plate".

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/category_82_Deck_Plates_page_1.html

They go down to 4" in this listing. I have purchased even smaller pop in units from marine surplus stores. Just a possible suggestion. Have fun. vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There was a recent thread with photos of a camera mounted up there... if i remember correctly, the owner released/removed one or two of the roof liner's center rear anchors, and managed to wedge open the gap just a tiny bit... and there were the pushed wires.
His was a normal (with roof liner) van.. i don't know if the James Cook-like version you've got would do the same.

good luck
--dick

Zach Woods

Has anyone in the group successfully routed a wire from the top middle brake light through the existing grommet and have the wire appear below in the crack between the rear door opening and the large panel in the back of the camper?

I am trying to install a backup camera mounted to the bottom of the gray trim piece of the middle brake light. I thought this would be a good location as it is high enough that it wouldn't be tempting to steal and there would be a good view from that height. So I attached the camera to the trim piece, then before reinstalling it, I pushed about 4 feet of wire from the camera through the same grommet that the wires for the light use, thinking that the backup camera wire would just fall down below and appear inside the back doors. Silly me. After trying many different methods of trying to fish the wire through this space, still no luck. If anyone has done this, please let me know the secret.

Brian Kenny
Hi Brian -

I have not added a backup camera to my Westy but I know folks that have. We, as Westy owners, do not have easy access to that area as in most standard Sprinters and the added fiberglass high roof further complicates things.

Here are two brief descriptions of a couple of folks working on wiring in that area:

--- In sprinter_westfalia@yahoogroups.com, "highcmpr" <winphoto@...>
wrote:
>
> I finally broke down and bought the $100 back up camera from
Walmart.
> I saw it at other places for more and someone said its less at BJs.
> It works great.
> The hardest part was fishing the wire for the 12V thru the back to
the
> left tail light .
> I tied it in to the parking lights so it comes on whenever the
lights
> are on.
> I mounted it to the high brake light.
> I had to use a coat hanger to hook it and pull it down and then
over to
> the left and down to the light. I had to add about a foot of wire
to
> make it reach.
> The spare tire does block the view a bit but this westie really
needs
> this camera.
> If you look for this camera make sure you get the latest one with
four
> buttons in the front of the monitor.
> Win PA
>

> > --- In sprinter_westfalia@yahoogroups.com, "jc_westy" <jc@> wrote:
> > >
> > > We had some trouble coming home from WestyFest II. I thought I would share
the solution. Many of you may have the same problem.
> > >
> > > After 2 days of trouble shooting I found that the Third eye brake light
was installed poorly. They drilled a little hole for the wire that the connector
for the light could not go through so they took the connector hood off and put
the wires through the little hole. They never bothered to put the hood back on.
They just jammed the metal pins into the mating connector. This left about 1/2
inch of metal pins exposed and very close to each other. When they finally
shorted out to each other or the Van body it blew the Brake fuse pretty much
disabling the van.
> > >
> > > Not sure who installed it this way. Westfalia, Airstream or maybe a later
repair.
> > >
> > > The connection is found by fishing around inside between the plywood and
the body over the rear doors. I have pictures and more info if anyone is
interested.
> > >
> > > One the bright side I learned how to take a lot of stuff apart and where
to find them. Now I just have to figure out how to put everything back together.
> > >
> > > JC

Both of these folks are active on the Yahoo Sprinter_Westfalia group - I could try to put you in touch with them if you are interested.

Zach

Last edited:

Brian Kenny

Silver Flyer
Thanks everyone for the replys.

Vic - It would be an understatement to say that I am reluctant to make any changes to my camper. Just drilling two screw holes in the brake light trim caused me pain. If having a backup camera means putting a four inch hole in the fiberglass top of my Westfalia, I think I'll get by with the side view mirrors. Thanks for the suggestion though, it would probably work.

Dick - On the Westfalia conversion that area of the top seems to be inaccessible without removing most of the interior.

Zach - First i'd like to thank you for all the info you have provided on this forum and the Yahoo group. I have had some of the same common problems that other Westfalia owners have had and have found solutions here. I would love it if you could put me in touch with Win PA and JC on the Yahoo group. It would be great to hear from someone who has successfully fished a wire through that area. Speaking of the Yahoo group, I joined it a few weeks ago and since then when I go to the grouo I get this banner "Your membership is awaiting approval by the group owner". Do you know who the group owner is and how I can email him/her to gain access to the group?

Again thanks to everyone.

Brian Kenny

1001.jpg

Zach Woods

Thanks everyone for the replys.

Zach - First i'd like to thank you for all the info you have provided on this forum and the Yahoo group. I have had some of the same common problems that other Westfalia owners have had and have found solutions here. I would love it if you could put me in touch with Win PA and JC on the Yahoo group. It would be great to hear from someone who has successfully fished a wire through that area. Speaking of the Yahoo group, I joined it a few weeks ago and since then when I go to the grouo I get this banner "Your membership is awaiting approval by the group owner". Do you know who the group owner is and how I can email him/her to gain access to the group?

Again thanks to everyone.

Brian Kenny
Hi Brian -

Thanks for the thanks! Always good to know that your efforts are having a positive impact!

I will see what I can do to put you in touch with the folks in question.

I don't think I know who the Yahoo sprinter_westfalia group owner(s?) are. I expect that you will be approved when they get a chance. I have pointed out to folks there that this is one of a number of concerns about Yahoo groups that could become a problem at some point.

Zach

Last edited:

Zach Woods

I would love it if you could put me in touch with Win PA and JC on the Yahoo group. It would be great to hear from someone who has successfully fished a wire through that area.
Hi Brian -

Your settings keep me from sending you a personal message or email. Send me a personal message or email and let me know how I can privately send you JC's contact info. He would welcome communicating with you re: routing a wire down from the third brake light.

Zach

jujupang

A westy owner, I met in a Santa Monica beach lot was able to fish his wire from that location, he mounted his back up camera on that top central stoplight bracket, can't even tell it's there, and ran the wire inside down along the closet back to the back up light. I persuaded him to do the same with mine, didn't take that long. I recall him saying that fishing the wire thru was the trickiest part. It can be done.

Zach Woods

Hi Brian -

Your settings keep me from sending you a personal message or email. Send me a personal message or email and let me know how I can privately send you JC's contact info. He would welcome communicating with you re: routing a wire down from the third brake light.

Zach
Hello Brian -

Here is a response from one person who has successfully routed a wire down from the Westy third brake light:

"Its been years since I hooked up the cam so he might get a better description if he searched. As I remember its just unscrewing the brake light, feeding the wire thru the grommeted hole in the fiberglass with the help of some lube like silicone, down to the back doors, tucking it behind the paneling to the driver side and down to the lights and splicing in to either the backup light or running light.
give him my email addr."

When you let me know how to communicate email addresses to you in private I will pass along the addresses of two folks who are willing to help explain their experiences completing this job on their Westfalias.

Zach

GoodOldBlue

Hi Brian -

I have not added a backup camera to my Westy but I know folks that have. We, as Westy owners, do not have easy access to that area as in most standard Sprinters and the added fiberglass high roof further complicates things.

Here are two brief descriptions of a couple of folks working on wiring in that area:

--- In sprinter_westfalia@yahoogroups.com, "highcmpr" <winphoto@...>
wrote:
>
> I finally broke down and bought the $100 back up camera from
Walmart.
> I saw it at other places for more and someone said its less at BJs.
> It works great.
> The hardest part was fishing the wire for the 12V thru the back to
the
> left tail light .
> I tied it in to the parking lights so it comes on whenever the
lights
> are on.
> I mounted it to the high brake light.
> I had to use a coat hanger to hook it and pull it down and then
over to
> the left and down to the light. I had to add about a foot of wire
to
> make it reach.
> The spare tire does block the view a bit but this westie really
needs
> this camera.
> If you look for this camera make sure you get the latest one with
four
> buttons in the front of the monitor.
> Win PA
>

> > --- In sprinter_westfalia@yahoogroups.com, "jc_westy" <jc@> wrote:
> > >
> > > We had some trouble coming home from WestyFest II. I thought I would share
the solution. Many of you may have the same problem.
> > >
> > > After 2 days of trouble shooting I found that the Third eye brake light
was installed poorly. They drilled a little hole for the wire that the connector
for the light could not go through so they took the connector hood off and put
the wires through the little hole. They never bothered to put the hood back on.
They just jammed the metal pins into the mating connector. This left about 1/2
inch of metal pins exposed and very close to each other. When they finally
shorted out to each other or the Van body it blew the Brake fuse pretty much
disabling the van.
> > >
> > > Not sure who installed it this way. Westfalia, Airstream or maybe a later
repair.
> > >
> > > The connection is found by fishing around inside between the plywood and
the body over the rear doors. I have pictures and more info if anyone is
interested.
> > >
> > > One the bright side I learned how to take a lot of stuff apart and where
to find them. Now I just have to figure out how to put everything back together.
> > >
> > > JC

Both of these folks are active on the Yahoo Sprinter_Westfalia group - I could try to put you in touch with them if you are interested.

Zach

:idunno: Hi, I am hooking up back up camera on 06 and my question is which light to you hook up to? The back up light seems to make sense to me. My other question is which wire s which? Power? Ground? Back up light? I have the wire ready but want to make sure I hook up correctly. Thanks for the help.

GoodOldBlue

Hi, Not sure if I actually posted here I go again. nstalling back up camera on 06...which light do I tie into for electrical? back up light seems right...also which wires are power, ground?

Thanks

danielmccoy

2004 Sprinter Westfalia
I am going to attempt to route the wire all the way to the stereo, starting at the third brake light, going through the closet, along the upper bed, and down the passenger B column. Wish me luck!

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Easier routing might be this:

1. Third stoplight into van

2. Route to driver side rear corner (along top of back white laminate wall, alongside the air duct).

There are a bunch of wires which go through the Sprinter floor in the rear driver side corner.

(Also, a place to run a wire to a reverse light wire as you know that's it's a reverse light--to trigger back up monitor to go on.)

3. Underneath van, run wire to engine compartment. Bunch of other wiring cables you can tie to. Probably a good idea to put wires inside one of those protective tubings.

4. From engine compartment firewall, there are one or more grommet holes in firewall that go underneath the dashboard area/above the accelerator/brake pedal.

5. Mount any splitter/controller module underneath the dashboard/where OBDII port area. May not have one in your setup.

6. Use a piggyback fuse in the steeringwheel fusebox for power. May not need if stereo is doing work.

7. Run wires to stereo.

Please keep us posted on whatever you do.

danielmccoy

2004 Sprinter Westfalia
Wow, fantastic idea, thanks OldWest. I only got as far as installing the camera yesterday. I’ll check that routing and post what I do. One thing to be careful with... don’t push too hard when you are reinstalling the third brake light bolt. I pushed the rubber grommet inside the van (now it’s gone)! I have to figure out a replacement. So far a pop drywall plastic thing might work with some epoxy.

Riptide

That's the whole reason I went with a WiFi wireless unit. I love it. You can use an iOS device; I use an iPod Touch dedicated to the Westy (it has Garmin GPS, music, and Westy tech manuals). Plus, I can access the camera from the bed or wherever...

danielmccoy

2004 Sprinter Westfalia
The routing Old West described worked great. There was an unused grommet on the firewall that I tapped into. I used 20’ of 1/2 flexible wire molding and zip ties.
The stereo is a Sony XAV-AH8000. It is CarPlay and android compatible. The only downside is that the screen does not come out. Though for low-crime Laramie, I think we will be okay.

I bought a Rear View Safety camera: https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safe...amera-with-9-infra-red-illuminators-1340.html (And 40’ of wire).

I also got a dash mounted USB port:
BATIGE Square Single Port USB 3.0... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKM7KGK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share (you have to carefully use a Dremmel tool to remove the inside of one of those pop out dash plastic inserts)

You do need a single DIN cage:
XTRONS Universal Single Din 1 Din Stereo Radio Replacement Fitting Cage Kit Installation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYS8R5X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UehoFbMA0FHSY

and it helps to have a Metra wiring harness:
Metra 70-1784 Radio Wiring... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BEQKM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And an adapter for the antenna:
Metra Electronics 40-VW12 Factory... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WQ8XY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Some press-in wire nuts, and about 8 hours of free time.

I did not wire it to the reverse indicator wire (red/white wire out of the shifter assembly, I believe). I was a little spooked about a splice into the shifter assembly wires. So, I have to go to the menu on the stereo for the rear view camera. Minor inconvenience. Also, I did not wire it for constant power. You have to be in the ACC ignition position in order for the stereo to work, unlike our old Becker stereo option (push button when ignition is off). I guess I could switch the wires, but then I’d have to manually turn off the stereo each time.

Attachments

Kiltym

We added a switch to the dash to allow our radio to be turned on without the key. Just got 12v from the cigarette plug and ran up to the stereo. So radio can be on with key, or switch on the dash. The switch has a red light on it so we know when it's on. Should be an easy mod to your install if you don't want to deal with the key to listen to music.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. Glad the wiring route worked.

2. The installers for my system ran a wire all the way back.to the reverse taillight and spliced in there for signal to turn monitor on for reverse. That way they knew for sure it was the reverse light rather than splicing closer to the dashboard.

3. In my actual use, the installers could have skipped that automatic on display when shift to reverse because I manually turn on the monitor for a rear view and leave on the entire time I'm driving. The rear view helps me see cars coming up from the rear sides of van.

4. The modification I'd like to see is where the front door windows can be powered without the ignition key. I think someone said they did that and I think they connected to the coach batteries and not engine battery.

Top Bottom