NCV3 Heater Systems

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
My 08 has a switch position to the left of the steering column that is a combination of two switches each with a indicator light. The top half of the switch starts/stops the optional Espar water heater. I understand how to use the Espar heater (HDB)with the top half of the switch.

What I do not understand is the function of the lower switch. The owners manual on pages 234 & 235 says the bottom half of the switch controls an "electrically powered heater booster system". The window sticker lists "electric-powered auxiliary heater" as standard equipment. The special equipment explanation book says the heater booster (HB9)is an electric resistance heater in the cab air duct to heat the air after the engine is running. The special equipment book also states that the resistance air heater is standard equipment. So I assume the lower half of the switch controls the electric resistance heater. Correct?

The owners manual also states that the electric resistance heater switches on automatically as required. If it is automatic what does the switch control? The only time the switch indicator lamp lights up is when I press the button.

My last question concerns what looks like a heat exchanger mounted along the side of the engine on the passenger side. The heater hoses connect to it and there appears to be a temperature sending unit and a vacuum actuator bolted to it. What is this and what is its function? How is it controlled?

Dave

shanemac

On my van the lower switch controls my "booster diesel fired heater" the upper switch controls the "axillary diesel fired heater" The cabin "electric resistance heater" is just that in which i can control via the switch near the fan control. I gotta say for a new owner the heater options and systems can be confusing. I would try a search with key words "booster heater" there are some good threads on the subject.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Due to your location you should be an expert on how to use the systems. When do you use the lower switch (diesel fueled booster)? Probably should be used in cold weather if the engine water does not get to the normal operating temperature. Indicator light only comes on if engine is running so it probably only works with engine running. The hardware mounted on the passenger side of the engine must be a diesel fueled engine water heater. Sure looks like it is. Has 4 heater hoses attached, has a vacuum operated valve and a multiwire sensor screwed into rear. I am not sure but it looks like it may have a fuel line attached to the back. Now all I need to know is when I should be using my new found toy. Interesting that they have the diesel fueled booster heater but do not give you a engine temperature gauge where you could monitor if you needed to use it. Guess I need to hook up the scan gauge to watch engine temperature.
I did not order the diesel booster heater, it is not listed on the window sticker and the owners manual does not tell you when to use it.
I do not see any switch for the electric resistance air heater other than the dial thermostat. So maybe it is automatic?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

shanemac

The trouble with sprinters each van is different in some small or big way. What your describing on the passengers side of engine sounds a lot different than what mine is, It almost sounds like your describing the egr cooler and the valve.

Hear is a pic of my passengers side below the egr cooler along the frame rail area.

The center dash switch i was referring to is the "reheat function" mine is coded HH2 ELECTRICALLY POWERED HOT-AIR AUXILIARY HEATER

This is my axillary heater code HZ5 HOT WATER AUX. HEATER W. TIMER SWITCH 10 KW this heater i can run with engine off or on i mainly use if for warming engine up before starting.

This in my booster heater code is not listed but hear is a pic on drivers side by fuel tank i only really use the booster on very cold days colder than -30c any engine will have a had time to produce heat, this is when i turn on booster to get the heat i need. I usually run the booster when i use my rear inside heater because of the extra demand again only when its ex stream cold.

Again these are my options it may help or may confuse things more:thinking:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The passenger side of my engine looks the same as yours. I just did not know what the EGR cooler looked like or where it was located. I do not have two diesel fueled heaters along the driver side frame rail. Just one. Thanks for the explanation and the pictures. What I do have is the lower part of the switch that lights up an indicator light. So I guess it is just there for decoratrion (sp) and does not control anything. Next time I am at a dealer I will ask why it is there and what it does. Your efforts to help are appreciated.

shanemac

Thanks....my plumber buddy was asking about the same switch for the booster on is 07...i took a look under his and he only had the axillary like yours. Next time i see him i will have to look closer at his setup as see if that booster switch does anything or not. Does your van have the reheat function button like mine?

AlbertaBear

shanemac

when do you use your HH2 ?

time to sort this out.

shanemac

To be honest not very much(i never payed much attention to it)... now that the mornings are cooler i have been using it to help deice the windows to see how it works, it seems to work pretty good at getting some heat after a few mins. Another reason i never used it much was seeing i was running my axillary heater as my standard procedure in the mornings i would all ready have nice heat out the vents. The drawback of trying to use the reheat function in very cold mornings the van has to be running and idling which i don't like to do. But in all fairness the reheat function is more intended for mild cold weather like defogging the windows or light window frost...more for cool fall weather in my opinion ware i can start the van and start rolling but want some quick heat rather than firing up the booster. So in a nut shell it comes down to outside temps. We never even talked about the "Residual heat mode setting" yet either:bash:

Top Bottom