Transmission Dipstick

Hey guys, I plan on changing the transmission oil and filter on my 06 sprinter and need a Tranny dipstick. I know euro parts sells one for $50.00. Is there any other recommend shops that sell this item for less. Thanks

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Even if you find a genuine, appropriate tool, Steve at europart-sd.com's customer service is worth a premium (but I do doubt you'll find a more fair price).

-Jon

BRS,
Many people are happy with Europarts customer service and willingness to help.

If you shop for price be aware that not all "Sprinter" dipsticks are equal. You should probably read this before purchase, unless you go to Europarts who will supply the correct part. vic

Stoopid things I shoulds known!!
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3301
Go to Page #7 Post #65

Even if you find a genuine, appropriate tool, Steve at europart-sd.com's customer service is worth a premium (but I do doubt you'll find a more fair price).

-Jon

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
If money is an issue, make your own like I did, with specs listed on here, using aircraft wire from building store for $1.00.

talkinghorse43

If money is an issue, make your own like I did, with specs listed on here, using aircraft wire from building store for $1.00.
Don't know which specs you're referring to, but the MB dipstick doesn't bottom-out on the inside surface of the pan, it rests on a shoulder above the measuring area. So, if you do assume it bottoms out on the pan, and use the measurements of the service manual, you are low on fluid. On the other hand, if you are aware, what is your depth correction figure? Or, what is the diameter of your shoulder?

Doktor A indicated in one post that 13 mm is the correction if the stick bottoms out ... not that he would ever need to use it. To me that's 1/2" correction on a bottoming DIY stick for all practical purpose. Even though it is temperature related, the OEM transmission dip stick has a low and high range indicated on it. Given the DARF cure for RSN (you really should order the DARF kit from Doktor A if you haven't) and lack of a plethora (edit) of disastrous failure posts on the forum(s) for the NAG1 transmission, I think being overly concerned about the NAG1 fluid level is a hang on from old. (I also jack my Sprinter using the differential case with a floor jack. :tongue:) Get it near the full mark... not over... and everything will be fine.

My opinion and worth everything you'll pay for it. vic
Don't know which specs you're referring to, but the MB dipstick doesn't bottom-out on the inside surface of the pan, it rests on a shoulder above the measuring area. So, if you do assume it bottoms out on the pan, and use the measurements of the service manual, you are low on fluid. On the other hand, if you are aware, what is your depth correction figure? Or, what is the diameter of your shoulder?

Last edited:

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
.... I think being overly concerned about the NAG1 fluid level is a hang on from old. (I also jack my Sprinter using the differential case with a floor jack. :tongue:) Get it near the full mark... not over... and everything will be fine.

My opinion and worth everything you'll pay for it. vic
My kind of guy. :cheers: :cheers:

talkinghorse43

(you really should order the DARF kit from Doktor A if you haven't)
Since I'm trying to minimize repair effort & cost, I would never make a modification to my tranny without personally and fully understanding all the possible effects.

... and lack of disastrous failure posts on the forum(s) for the NAG1 transmission ...
SRT has recently reported a tranny failure. But maybe it doesn't meet your definition of disastrous. I remember reports of more; if you're interested, you could search here. If they don't fail, where does the supply of rebuilt units come from?

I guess we don't agree.
Since I'm trying to minimize repair effort & cost, I would never make a modification to my tranny without personally and fully understanding all the possible effects.
Given my experience and background I know I am not capable of ever "personally and fully understanding all the possible effects" of a modification to an NAG1 transmission. From the ability demonstrated by him over time here and on other forums I have faith that Doktor A does. The fact that he came up with the DARF solution is of itself testimony. My opinion (read that as "guess") is that perhaps RSN contributes to harmonic balancer failures so I think getting rid of the RSN is worthwhile. Not to mention that the tranny just seems so much smoother after the mod.

SRT has recently reported a tranny failure. But maybe it doesn't meet your definition of disastrous. I remember reports of more; if you're interested, you could search here. If they don't fail, where does the supply of rebuilt units come from?
Well, OK. I didn't mean to indicate that they never fail, but NAG1 transmission failures are not an Achilles heel for the vehicle. Most tranny failures I recall are high mileage units which are to be expected.

When people have asked here what to look out for when inspecting a used Sprinter for potential purchase I have not seen you or anyone else jump in to highlight that they'd better watch out for the junkie NAG1 transmission. Other than the RSN issue (which now has a cure) transmission rarely even comes up in the discussion.

I still stand by my comments that the transmission fluid level needs to be near the full mark (not over), the DARF kit is a good idea, and the NAFTA Sprinter NAG1 transmission is overall a reliable piece of equipment.

Thanks for the response. Clarification and discussion is a good thing. :rad: vic

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
(I also jack my Sprinter using the differential case with a floor jack. :tongue:)
Subscribe to www.sprintertekinfo.com and you'll see that hoisting by the differential pumpkin is "blessed" by MB.

I've seen John Bendit use an air jack to life a giant Sprinter 3500 RV by the diff housing. I'm not sure where the idea of not lifting by the "pumpkin" came from, but I think it's an urban myth, debunked by Vic, John Bendit, and[/] SprinterWIS and Carl (sprintguy)

-Jon

PS: I fixed it Vic. You should share some pie with OrioN. :)

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

Subscribe to www.sprintertekinfo.com and you'll see that hoisting by the differential pumpkin is "blessed" by MB.

I've seen John Bendit use an air jack to life a giant Sprinter 3500 RV by the diff housing. I'm not sure where the idea of not lifting by the "pumpkin" came from, but I think it's an urban myth, debunked by John and SprinterWIS.

-Jon
The '03 service manual says:

Caution: Do not lift vehicle with a floor jack positioned under:
- An axle tube
- A body side sill
- A steering linkage component
- A drive shaft
- The engine or transmission oil pan
- The fuel tank
- A front suspension arm

An axle tube is closer to the spring pad than the "pumpkin", so I don't lift my '02 at the "pumpkin". Maybe the newer vans are built heavier? The 3500 does have a different type axle.

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
NAG1 = 722.6 (in MB world) 5spd automatic been around (I believe) since 97
My question is: when is the 722.9 (7 spd auto) going to make it to the Sprinter ? no dipstick tube and you fill it by the bottom

As for lifting by the "pumpkin" go ahead its OK. Largest chunk (and thickest) of cast Iron on that there Sprinter. The tubes are no where near as strong as the center section , thin walled tubing tends to crush and bent easier.

Carl

autostaretx

Erratic Member
From page 205 of my 2005 Owner's Manual:
CAUTION!
Do not position the jack at the leaf spring or the differential housing.
(they put that boxed warning twice on the page, once for 11000 GVW, and once for the lesser weights.)

..given the context of the warning, it could be that they're referring to the use of the comes-with-car bottle jack in that position.
--dick

I'm not sure where the idea of not lifting by the "pumpkin" came from, but I think it's an urban myth, debunked by John and SprinterWIS.

-Jon
Geez Jon,
I get no credit for bebunking the myth? I thought I did a pretty good job in my "Stoopid Things". The way people misinterpreted the operator manual on this one really does make this a Stupid Thing in my opinion. Details are found in my post. vic

The "Thou Shalt Not Jack a Sprinter Differential" Myth
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=90965&postcount=75

Last edited:

Exactly. And the "pumpkin" is connected to the springs (which support the weight of the van) by long pieces of this same thin walled tubing.
... but, this "thin walled" tube (no thinner than many other vehicle axle tubes by the way) is pressed into socket fittings so when the differential case (pumpkin) is lifted the stress is transferred over to the spring assemblies through that strong socket fitting. A tube shape is very strong. The reason it's never good to jack against an axle tube in the middle is that you can point load it which will then deform and weaken the tube.

Some lifts use saddles which cradle the axle tubes. FWIW. vic

Last edited:

From page 205 of my 2005 Owner's Manual:

CAUTION!
Do not position the ... OEM ... jack at the leaf spring or the differential housing.

it could be that they're referring to the use of the comes-with-car bottle jack in that position.
--dick
That statement is in the operator manual where they are specifically describing using the OEM bottle jack for lifting a Sprinter. That warning is never repeated in service books that I've seen anywhere for lifting a Sprinter using other than the OEM jack. Why would it be?

A vehicle should never be lifted using a bottle or any other single point jack positioned at the differential case. The jack may very well slip and kick out. That doesn't apply to a roll around floor type jack.

Sorry to pound this so much, but it just irks me that because someone read (edit: well, OK. "wrote" fits too) the operator manual wrong there is this myth perpetuated for Sprinters in North America. vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom