Using 80/20

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
thanks for the p/n's ! i apologize, but i don't understand the following statement: "with interweaved on upper and lower edge Teflon coated fishing line" ?
thx
greg
I wasn't very clear, hopefully this post will provide sufficient details. I used HDPE Seaboard by Vycom which is 1/4" nominal, #2210-48 track width is 0.275”. The gap is about 0.025”, enough to allow noisy rattle. I experimented with different fishing line and 0.016" diameter was just right to fill the gap. I think ¼” HDPE nominal is a few thousands less. Works like a champ for the last 7 years and none of fishing lines needed replacement.

“I tested my method of rattle noise elimination from the sliding overhead cabinet doors with success. The method is to drill small holes on the upper on the lower edge and feed the fishing line through it. Using 0.016” fluorocarbon fishing line weaved through ¼” HDPE sliders not only nulls rattle but provides sufficient friction so the doors don’t need latches. I will likely spread the holes 1.25-1.5”. I will drill, my wife will thread the fishing line.”

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/21773/page-25#post-302772
ZZGR2643.jpg

ZGR92395.jpg

ZGR92394.jpg

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Consider using baskets instead of doors. Less weight, easier access and higher capacity storage. With a basket you can fill the basket. If you fill a overhead cabinet that has doors the contents may fall out when you open the door.

goinoregon

I wasn't very clear, hopefully this post will provide sufficient details. I used HDPE Seaboard by Vycom which is 1/4" nominal, #2210-48 track width is 0.275”. The gap is about 0.025”, enough to allow noisy rattle. I experimented with different fishing line and 0.016" diameter was just right to fill the gap. I think ¼” HDPE nominal is a few thousands less. Works like a champ for the last 7 years and none of fishing lines needed replacement.

“I tested my method of rattle noise elimination from the sliding overhead cabinet doors with success. The method is to drill small holes on the upper on the lower edge and feed the fishing line through it. Using 0.016” fluorocarbon fishing line weaved through ¼” HDPE sliders not only nulls rattle but provides sufficient friction so the doors don’t need latches. I will likely spread the holes 1.25-1.5”. I will drill, my wife will thread the fishing line.”

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/21773/page-25#post-302772
View attachment 168321

View attachment 168322

View attachment 168323
thx. now i get it.

goinoregon

thx. now i get it.
Consider using baskets instead of doors. Less weight, easier access and higher capacity storage. With a basket you can fill the basket. If you fill a overhead cabinet that has doors the contents may fall out when you open the door.
i am going to be doing a minimal pop up camper build-out in the spring. am thinking of some type of shelving on one side and using plastic containers (clear) for storage. will figure out heights of shelves and containers. figured some type of door or ??, to keep containers from spilling out. like sliding doors for weight savings. am trying to keep weight as low as possible

GeorgeRa

My sliding doors for 3’ wide and 1’ high cabinets are about 3.5 lbs. For that volume storage baskets wouldn’t be much lighter or not lighter. Benefits of sliding doors are:
  • Lower weight than cabinet doors
  • No visible mess
  • Can remove individual items without a basket removal.
  • For odd size items they can be instantly removed, no tools.

goinoregon

My sliding doors for 3’ wide and 1’ high cabinets are about 3.5 lbs. For that volume storage baskets wouldn’t be much lighter or not lighter. Benefits of sliding doors are:
  • No visible mess
hi george, in a previous post you mentioned 'latching arm' and i think this was for sliding doors. i have been looking at 80 20 catalog and cant find. if you could share where you obtained, it would be appreciated. thx

GeorgeRa

hi george, in a previous post you mentioned 'latching arm' and i think this was for sliding doors. i have been looking at 80 20 catalog and cant find. if you could share where you obtained, it would be appreciated. thx
Latches are my design, made from HDPE and CNCed by Hein from Hood River. My latest upgrade was to add orange clear inserts (like a semaphore) and extend them so we can at a glance see if doors are latched. For main pivot bolt I used SS shoulder screws - https://www.mcmaster.com/bolts/shoulder-screws/18-8-stainless-steel-shoulder-screws-10/

More pictures in next post.

GRE13159.jpg
GRE13160.jpg
GRE13161.jpgGRE13162.jpgGRE13163.jpg

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
  • No visible mess
1. No doors are lighter than sliding doors. That is offset with the basket weight.
2. You do see the basket ends but not the contents. Do think doors/sliders look better.
3. Basket does not always need to be removed. I have 3 1/2" between top edge of the basket and the top cabinet extrusion. Top edge of basket can be pulled out to tilt the basket for access without removing the basket from the shelf.
4. Baskets can also be removed.

Upper Rear | Orton Travel Transit (ortontransit.info)

Guess it is visually what appeals to a builder. As I said I like the looks of doors/sliders better but prefer the ease of access provided by baskets.

goinoregon

1. No doors are lighter than sliding doors. That is offset with the basket weight.
2. You do see the basket ends but not the contents. Do think doors/sliders look better.
3. Basket does not always need to be removed. I have 3 1/2" between top edge of the basket and the top cabinet extrusion. Top edge of basket can be pulled out to tilt the basket for access without removing the basket from the shelf.
4. Baskets can also be removed.

Upper Rear | Orton Travel Transit (ortontransit.info)

Guess it is visually what appeals to a builder. As I said I like the looks of doors/sliders better but prefer the ease of access provided by baskets.
how do you keep the baskets from falling out? thx greg

goinoregon

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
how do you keep the baskets from falling out? thx greg
The bottom extrusion is 1 1/2" square. The cabinet floor is 1/2" plywood cabinet floor that is flush with the bottom edge of the extrusion. That provides a 1" lip that prevents the basket from falling out. To completely remove a basket you lift it up 1". Seldom do I need to completely remove a basket. Usually I just tip the top edge out and down to access the contents.

GeorgeRa

Sharing dissatisfaction with 8020.net.

I like their product, selection, online catalog, machining services but their shipping is from the last Century, I am not satisfied. 80/20 company used to ship from multiple product line departments independently so costs of shipping were sometime higher than merchandize. They fixed it, got better, but just better.

Last week I ordered some items at total weight of 0.58lb for $33.20. Shipping options were $18.40 UPS ground, $48.02 second day and $106.76 next day, I picked ground shipping, 55.5% of items costs.

Today, my order was still in processing so I called, they hoped to ship it by Friday and I should get it a week later. I placed the order on hold.

Perhaps I am spoiled by Amazon but even from McMaster Car items are shipped the same or next day and get delivered in 3 days. The same time last week I ordered from 8020 I also ordered from McMaster Car about 20lbs of bolts and screws, it is coming tomorrow for $21.06 shipping.

brownvan

2017 4X4 HR 144"
Sharing dissatisfaction with 8020.net.

I like their product, selection, online catalog, machining services but their shipping is from the last Century, I am not satisfied. 80/20 company used to ship from multiple product line departments independently so costs of shipping were sometime higher than merchandize. They fixed it, got better, but just better.

Last week I ordered some items at total weight of 0.58lb for $33.20. Shipping options were $18.40 UPS ground, $48.02 second day and $106.76 next day, I picked ground shipping, 55.5% of items costs.

Today, my order was still in processing so I called, they hoped to ship it by Friday and I should get it a week later. I placed the order on hold.

Perhaps I am spoiled by Amazon but even from McMaster Car items are shipped the same or next day and get delivered in 3 days. The same time last week I ordered from 8020 I also ordered from McMaster Car about 20lbs of bolts and screws, it is coming tomorrow for $21.06 shipping.
Same sort of experience here with my last order placed in September and it did not ship until 40 days ARO. There was no other easy way around this delay since I had designed the rest of my CNC panels around their framing systems. So I just had to wait and checkin regularly. I think covid has really strained their operations but I also got the feeling my order was bumped so they could make 5000 sneeze guards...
Yeah their shipping is expensive too, agreed there, specially on long extrusions or overweight orders.
Not much to advise other than folks here should know it is not a quick or cost-effective solution. Despite these issues I still use it alot.

waverider

VS30 4x4 (Santa Cruz)
I've been buying my extrusion from Orange Aluminum. The selection isn't as good but works for what I want. Free shipping on orders > $100 (as I recall). The 2 times I've ordered from them, I've always received my order within 2 to 3 days.

motoervan

I used tnutz for the first time. Ordered Sunday and they shipped today. They have very limited parts compared to 8020. Anybody knows an alternative source for slider door rails in black and custom cut panels?

99sport

Note that Tnutz and some of the other 8020 knockoffs use 6063-T3 which has a yield strength of 23,000 psi, T slots uses 6560-T6 (25ksi), while 8020 uses 6105-T5 which has a yield strength of 35,000 psi. McMaster-Carr sells 8020 parts from various vendors, but their extrusions are from 8020 (6105-T5) thus 35ksi. However McMaster-Carr doesn't sell smooth profiles for inch series.

The 50% higher strength of the genuine 8020 extrusions may or may not matter to you.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
I used tnutz for the first time. Ordered Sunday and they shipped today. They have very limited parts compared to 8020. Anybody knows an alternative source for slider door rails in black and custom cut panels?
Hi, there are 8020 resellers / distributors all over USA... where are you located?

Top Bottom