Using 80/20

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Thanks David, looking into it now. I know its history and being offspring of GenericCadd basically DOS based. That is s good thing as DOS is efficient. I wrote huge C applications in DOS shortly after introduction in the early 1980s through early 1990s. Loved it !

Will see how GeneralCADD behaves in Win 10 on a very high resolution monitor. Overall I like what I see. Thanks

Santiago
If you decide to go with GeneralCadd, I can be of help.

We made borders for each scale and paper size. The border drawings have all the correct settings for that scale. When you want to start a new drawing just pick the paper size you want to print on and the scale that allows your drawing to fit within the border. Simply start drawing without any setup because that is all completed. If you pick the wrong scale it is simple to load a new border and "window" copy the drawing to different scale border. Most of my conversion drawings are drawn for 2' x 3' Arch "D" drawing size. I print them "to fit" on 11 x 17 paper. Not to scale but very readable.

I have been using Generic (dos) and then General Cadd (windows) for about 35 years. My current program is about 10 years old. No need to upgrade if it works. I do not see any need for a 3D program for conversion work. Maybe it is because I have learned to visualize what the 2D drawing will look like in 3D.

SantiagoPM

2018 Promaster 159 gas
I am using TurboCAD since 1993 with a specific purpose to redrew my house architect’s hand drawings. Simple and inexpensive. http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/multimedia/best-cad-software/turbocad-deluxe-review/

My current version 2015 has occasional issues with the .dxf format but the new 2017 version had that issue resolved.
Thank you George.

Am a bit familiar TurboCAD, tried it years ago when I was designing a home back then but the program just did not click with me. Abandoned due to the steep learning curve. I needed to get moving on the project and keep my day job. Been using Chief Architect Home Designer Pro ever since.

That product was TurboCAD Pro v17 Platinum and unfortunately is not compatible with Windows 10. I can upgrade to TurboCAD Pro 2016/7 for a mere (sarcasm) $1000 !!! No thank you, will get the TurboCAD Deluxe 2017 for around $130 at Amazon.

I like GeneralCADD but the new people that started the company wants $600 for a product that makes no mention of Windows 10, only that it is compatible with Windows 2000, XP, VISTA, Windows 7 and Windows 8. Contact and FAQ links are dead, probably more. If I can't CALL and ask a question about purchasing it's an automatic deal breaker.

So when I get back from vacation in May, will start (re-)learning using TurboCAD Deluxe 2017. Downloaded manual as a PDF so I can study on the long flight to and from South America. While in country, we are busy tourists running around and studying is not on the agenda.

Santiago

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I like GeneralCADD but the new people that started the company wants $600 for a product that makes no mention of Windows 10, only that it is compatible with Windows 2000, XP, VISTA, Windows 7 and Windows 8. Contact and FAQ links are dead, probably more. If I can't CALL and ask a question about purchasing it's an automatic deal breaker.
I do not know about Widows 10 with GeneralCadd. I use an old XP computer that is not connected to the internet so do not have to deal with updates or viruses.

SantiagoPM

2018 Promaster 159 gas
I do not know about Widows 10 with GeneralCadd. I use an old XP computer that is not connected to the internet so do not have to deal with updates or viruses.
Hi Dave, I hear you.

I use the internet to download the program then run it on my desk top independently from vendor's servers. If I can't run it off line then am not interested. Nor am I interested in subscribing for the use (leasing) with annual fees. Nor do I attached anything to the cloud that I am aware of.

All my Microsoft Office stuff is owned and locally installed and will work offline except for most help stuff. Don't have Facebook, What's Up, Twitter nor any social media service.

We share via thumb drive. Too many snoops out there. My "cloud" backup is three external drives, one of which is located remotely. What can I say, we are old fashioned. ; >)

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Yea we are old fashioned. I do not use any of the social sites either. Do not use the cloud. Do not have nor want a cell phone.

Just got an email from my daughter about Schwab not being able to read my writing on the gift checks I give to the grand kids for college. They said nobody writes checks anymore.

Oh well. I just get in my new Porsche Boxster and push in the clutch to select what gear I want to use. Had to buy it now when I could still get a manual transmission.

All is not lost. I do use a calculator instead of my slide rules that I still have.

SantiagoPM

2018 Promaster 159 gas
Yea we are old fashioned. I do not use any of the social sites either. Do not use the cloud. Do not have nor want a cell phone.

Just got an email from my daughter about Schwab not being able to read my writing on the gift checks I give to the grand kids for college. They said nobody writes checks anymore.

Oh well. I just get in my new Porsche Boxster and push in the clutch to select what gear I want to use. Had to buy it now when I could still get a manual transmission.

All is not lost. I do use a calculator instead of my slide rules that I still have.
Wow ! Dave, you are more hard a$$ than us. That's wonderful.

I stopped using slide rules, still have three, in 1972/3. Company felt sorry for me as I used them a lot and bought me an HP-35. First handheld that could do trig, exponential, etc. Costs was $400 then, that would be about $3,000 today. I remember waiting ten seconds for trig results !

When I left Alcoa was depressed leaving the HP. Ever since, always owned an HP calculator with its' quirky (to others) RPN key entry. I love it.

Good that you are old fashioned.

Attachments

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton

Birk

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before but I use Frame Designer (www.framexpert.com). This is a free CAD software that turned out really useful for designing the cabinets in my Sprinter conversion. It provides a BOM with a price that one can directly send to 80/20 to order. It is limited to 80/20 or MayTec frame designs but was/is useful for me. I run this CAD software on Win7 and Win10.

---Birk

Attachments

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Nice work, thanks for sharing. Did you use Southco latches? is the countertop from HDPE?

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Very nice, I like your SS Southco latches, Asimba2 used them as well and I am replacing mine with them, more inconspicuous than high contrast black I currently have.

You can remove the 8020 advertising print from the black end-caps with an M.E.K solvent, just be careful, it will take some black plastic off but it looks very good.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before but I use Frame Designer (www.framexpert.com). This is a free CAD software that turned out really useful for designing the cabinets in my Sprinter conversion. It provides a BOM with a price that one can directly send to 80/20 to order. It is limited to 80/20 or MayTec frame designs but was/is useful for me. I run this CAD software on Win7 and Win10.

---Birk
Just what I needed! Thank you!!

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Not sure if anyone mentioned this before but I use Frame Designer
Thanks. Program looks very interesting. Will spend some time working with it.

They must make commission from the extrusion manufacturers on the sale of extrusions.

Looked quickly and saw you could save a file. What I did not see if the drawing can be printed.

Can you print a design?

Birk

Yes, the drawing can be printed when a BOM is generated. The BOM .pdf file contains the list of parts as well as the design in several views (isometric, multiview and exploded).
I attach an example of a BOM as .pdf.

---Birk

Attachments

SantiagoPM

2018 Promaster 159 gas
Am a bit familiar TurboCAD, tried it years ago when I was designing a home back then but the program just did not click with me. Abandoned due to the steep learning curve. I needed to get moving on the project and keep my day job. Been using Chief Architect Home Designer Pro ever since.

That product was TurboCAD Pro v17 Platinum and unfortunately is not compatible with Windows 10.

So when I get back from vacation in May, will start (re-)learning using TurboCAD Deluxe 2017. Downloaded manual as a PDF so I can study on the long flight to and from South America.

Santiago
I am back from vacation.

Wanted to let George and Dave know I decided to go back to TurboCAD after studying it more while on vacation. Been communicating with them and they are always there and supportive.

Thanks for all your ideas and advice. Am sure will posts soon as the design starts to take shape.

Santiago

Matiasek

Just spent a couple hours reading this thread. Lots of great info in here! Thanks all! Quick question on the end caps for the extrusions. Do you cut the extrusions so that the end cap will install flush or make sure the extrusions are flush and then add the end cap? How thick are the end caps? Thanks again!

Top Bottom