T1N Cargo Conversion

Colorado_Al

Removed the running boards, fender flares, mudflaps, and reflectors. As suspected, more rust.
While I'm at it, I decided to paint the fender flares and wheels. They got the rustoleum treatment.
Wheels painted with Rustoleum Rust Reformer to prime the rusty metal, and then the whole kit rattle-can painted with Rustoleum Ultra Cover Semi Gloss Black.

IMG_20200627_204034.jpg
IMG_20200628_123836.jpg
IMG_20200627_203953.jpg
IMG_20200628_123906.jpg

Last edited:

bcman

I'll be watching your paint progress with much interest. Our 2003 is getting lots of little rust spots as well.

bcman

That paint job looks so incredibly good! Can I ask how much it cost you? And how much prep work did you do (removing plastic bits, hood, etc.)?

Colorado_Al

That paint job looks so incredibly good! Can I ask how much it cost you? And how much prep work did you do (removing plastic bits, hood, etc.)?
Thanks! I like it!

$3500 @ Maaco Commerce City, CO https://www.maaco.com/locations/co/commerce-city-10707/
2 stage paint - urethane & clear coat. Sherwin Williams automotive brand.
Including bumpers, grille, underneath hood. No door jambs.
With rust repair at the slider door and around all fenders and spot repairs.
Windshield removal, rust treatment, new windshield.
Tint of forward windows.
Removal of spare tire & rack, paint rack and reinstall.

I removed lights, reflectors, grille emblems, running boards, mud flaps, fender flares, license plate mounts, and fender flares. They reinstalled them. (I provided new "Sprinter" rear door emblem and new "Mercedes" hood emblem. I did not have them reinstall the "Dodge" or "2500" emblems.

Last edited:

Colorado_Al

Installed backup camera.
Mounted the camera to the license plate and ran the wire through the license plate light opening. My plate light has a missing tab and was falling out so I secured it with Sugru.
I used a 5.8gHz wireless transmitter unit instead of a fixed cable.
Transmitter and camera are powered by the license plate light wires which are always on when the vehicle is running.
Seems to be working well.

IMG_20200723_103024.jpg

IMG_20200723_103035.jpg

IMG_20200723_103220.jpg

61zWv9v2pFL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Colorado_Al

Upgrading the galley cabinet and faucet.
The old sink cabinet was made of MDF and it has been pretty crappy for a while. Water logged and crumbling.
Today I removed it and installed a new cabinet that I hope will be better. Powder coated steel, with a solid butcher-block top.
I think I'll likely need to install some sound damping panels in the steel cabinet, but I have some left over from my insulation.

Old galley:
IMG_20200724_110647.jpg

New galley in progress:
IMG_20200724_234647.jpg

pfflyer

Thanks for the link to the wireless video transmitter. That will make a rear camera install much easer on the class C. In my van conversion I used Galdiator metal cabinets. They didn't have one the size you were looking for but as far as sound dampening it wasn't bad on the drawer bank when it was full of towels and clothes. The one similar to yours I had a sink installed as well . It held the water pump on the shelf and 5 gallons of fresh water and the gray water container in the bottom and there was very little noise which surprised me. Mine were anchored to the wall but just to be safe while driving they were ratchet strapped to floor anchor points so I don't know if that helped any. When the pump ran it rattled the shelf and I was able to quite it down some but left it for the new owner to solve when I sold it after we bought the class C.
Paint job looks great by the way.

Colorado_Al

Sound dampening the galley cabinet is complete.
I used Noico 80mil butyl sound mat. I also removed the jingly locking mechanism in the cabinet door and stuck some neodymium magnets on it instead.

When I originally did insulation on the van I focused on the fixed panels and neglected to do much in the doors.
I decided to work on them again and I've applied Noico to them as well. When I opened the panel for the slider door I found that the lower cross member has come unglued and has cracked in the middle. I've got some 3M VHB tape on the way to reconnect it. That should do a lot to quiet it down too.

Colorado_Al

Top Bottom